Shock News: Mercedes to Quit DTM Post 2018

Formula E has some pretty cool looking cars and usually some fun racing when I've watched it, but it has none of the evocative smells & sounds and races on completely uninspiring circuits. And yet this is the championship of the future, killing off most other major series along the way :(

good-grief.jpg

Very sad news indeed. I love DTM. Don't watch it much because I can only catch it when I get a chance sometimes on a certain channel (CBS Sports) and even with that it is all edited and condense with thousands of commercials!.

You see, here in the USA there is a right wing racing series called Nascar that they try to brainwash us with. They air it 24 hours a day seven days a week!...Nascar Nascar Nascar!!!!!...SMH. So we here in the USA don't get to see all the the great European racing series that are available to some of you lucky Euro people. It's really sad.

Very sad news indeed. I love DTM. Don't watch it much because I can only catch it when I get a chance sometimes on a certain channel (CBS Sports) and even with that it is all edited and condense with thousands of commercials!.

You see, here in the USA there is a right wing racing series called Nascar that they try to brainwash us with. They air it 24 hours a day seven days a week!...Nascar Nascar Nascar!!!!!...SMH. So we here in the USA don't get to see all the the great European racing series that are available to some of you lucky Euro people. It's really sad.

Get a VPN and watch it live. Problem solved.

DTM youtube channel shows the full races commercial free. Along with cockpit cams of certain drivers and plenty of highlights videos.

Probably one of the best motorsport channels on youtube. Even letting you watch full races dating back a decade.

I feel like all of motorsports is headed in a really bad direction. F1 has boring V6's and aero that makes the races boring. Australian supercars are moving to V6's. DTM which had V8's has lost mercedes.

Sounds is such a huge part of motorsports and its really sad to see it dissolve in favor of formula e which i found about the dullest thing on the planet.

I love how so many people at RD bash Formula E...better learn to love it because that's where the companies are going to get the best bang-for-their buck. Ferrari will be the next major manufacturer to enter the mix and one of the American giants will probably enter soon after.

Deal with it people, its the way of the future!
Uh, no. In fact this is Mercedes biggest mistake. I know you are happy to shove this down our throat. So weird. Oh well. The electric fad will pass. These companies have no choice but to join the electric bandwagon. If they don't they will be labeled as earth hating, child-killers. :) The whole thing is so ridiculous. Tesla is all-electric. They lose aprox $5,000 per car. The company is already bankrupt. They are bankrupt because the majority don't want electric cars. They are impractical and too expensive. The only reason Tesla is still around is because our government bailed them out. Which means, I paid for that. :) Awesome. Anyway, I find that the electric loving folks all say the same thing. "Better get used to it. Because you're going to be driving one." This is said with such glee. Like here, in your face. :) It's so laughable. I don't want an electric car and I'm not buying one. What's it to you? Well, in a few years when the fad passes, we'll be back where we are now, driving good 'ol gas burning cars because they are practical and more efficient than ever. Too make your comment even funnier, I love the part about Ferrari going electric blah blah blah. Dude, if Ferrari even attempted to go electric, it would the companies complete and utter demise. Same for Porsche and Lamborghini. Who in their right mind will spend $250,000 on an electric Ferrari? Bwaaaaahhh :) The whole point of a Ferrari or Lamborghini etc, is the joy you get when you fire it up. Telling your friends about the V12 or V10, or flat 6 that sounds so awesome etc etc. A Ferrari that sits silently while you tell everyone about how cool it is? And then you say, "Well there are not enough charging stations around so, I'll be back in 30 minutes to plug it in? : Get real. Anyway, it's a fad. Jump on board. Have fun. I'll show you my Porsche with the huge turbo and screaming exhaust. Check this baby out! Sounds so awesome, so much fun. The whole experience is wonderful. An electric Ferrari. Sorry, can't stop laughing. :)

What no more silver star in DTM ?? ^%$#%#@%# :poop:
I love the DTM ,the cars are so sexy:p !
Im in the US and get all the DTM races plus Trans Am series, Ausy super cars, GT3 ,IMSA ,BTCC Blancpain, Pirelli WC, they cover it all ! my DVR is full of them (as I set to record them all :D ) most of them are on CBSSNH via satellite (DTV) .. FIA World Endurance Champ is on FS1 .. so just depends on how bad you want to see them ,we have it all in the US to so just have a look around ...:)
Yesterdays DTM in Russia was a win for the Mercedes guys to all be it I think it was the first win of the season ? ..! shame they are pulling out .. Then to have them go to the sewing machine series I:rolleyes:.. just a sign of the times I guess.. Highbred over fossil fuel & all .. less pollution bla bla .. hope someone takes there place Audi vrs BMW is still cool but the top 3 manufactures going at it is what makes it so fun to watch ..

I love how so many people at RD bash Formula E...better learn to love it because that's where the companies are going to get the best bang-for-their buck. Ferrari will be the next major manufacturer to enter the mix and one of the American giants will probably enter soon after.

I'd concur - I love the whole thing conceptually, and I'd love to see more electric car racing out there - but they're gonna have to ditch 'fan boost' and also start having any passing ever to get me actively excited for it. I keep giving it another try about annually but it's a long way from having exciting racing at the moment.

An American "giant" just left. They were called "Mercedes". At least before about a billion mergers, de-mergers, acquisitions, and bailouts.

However, DTM will be fine. I'm not so sure about Formula E though. Does anyone watch that?

DTM youtube channel shows the full races commercial free. Along with cockpit cams of certain drivers and plenty of highlights videos.

Probably one of the best motorsport channels on youtube. Even letting you watch full races dating back a decade.
Agree completely. In fact I would describe DTM as sort of the F1 of yesteryear. It really is exciting racing and the series as a whole is really top notch. I wish Mercedes would stay, but they're not. So, perhaps another manufacturer will step in to fill in the gap and perhaps in an even more exciting way. (Alfa Romeo?) Hope so. DTM fans are very loyal for a reason. The whole experience is awesome. The cars are amazing. The sounds of the V8s. Which by the way, is just a real pure sweet sound. The drivers are the best in the world. And they all take it very seriously. F1 thought they were better than the whole world and didn't need anybody. Look where it's gotten them. The cars look bizarre. They sound weak. But for Mercedes to leave DTM is simply a huge mistake for them. I think they will regret this in the next few years.

I hate FE !

Motorsport with works team involvement is always about marketing benefit of winning in a racing series that sells more product for the manufacturer with ever increasing budgets making for some tough decisions of viability of involvement in the boardroom.

Electric propulsion is the future of transportation without a doubt.
Mercedes Benz is in the business of selling personal cars for profit, no more, no less.

More and more "gas guzzling" motorsports series like the DTM with their V8 engines is seen as a marketing liability than an advantage for the board members of big manufacturers while involvement in "futuristic" and more environmental sports is an easier sell.

This is the sad reality of our favorite sport today and we will have to learn to cope with this :-(
I am sad about this but sooner or later we have to deal with this reality :-(

On a bright note we will always have simulator racing and when on a sad day as this, just go back in time and race some easy 90's DTM machines in a big pack, door to door or enjoy the current DTM racing in R3E - make the best of it.

Time is running out !

Yea, I tried the DTM Channel on YT but there were a lot of races they didn't have/uploaded and the ones they did have that they didn't have in English were all in German audio. Still watch them though even if I didn't understand the language....But is was better then nothing.

Thanks!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%