RD Star Mazda Series - Season 1 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RACEDEPARTMENT Star Mazda Series

Must be a licensed member.
http://www.racedepartment.com/application-rules/

Season 1

Round 1: Indianapolis Motor Speedaway - Road Course -- March 20th
Round 2: Watkins Glen - Boot -- April 3rd
Round 3: Charlotte Motor Speedway - Road Course -- April 17th
Round 4: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - May 1st
Round 5: Brands Hatch GP -- May 15th
Round 6: Road Atlanta - Full Course -- May 29th
Round 7: Circuit de SPA Francorchamps - GP Pits -- June 12th
Round 8: Daytona International Speedway - Road Course -- June 26th

*Number of Laps will be posted in race thread
***Dates subject to change

Race Schedule:

Racing Sim: iRacing

Cars: Star Mazda

Setups: Open

Hosted Event Server name: RaceDepartment.com Star Mazda Series

Official Practice: 2 hrs before the event 18:30pm GMT / 1:30pm EST / 10:30pm PST
Registration end is 20:30pm GMT / 3:30pm EST / 12:30pm PST
***Please be in the hosted event server before this time.

Qualification - Lone qualifier (2 continuous hotlaps)
Race - Standing Start
Grid Max - 34 drivers (36 drivers after Round 1)
Fast tows - 1

P2 - 40
P3 - 35
P4 - 31
P5 - 30
P6 - 29
P7 - 28
P8 - 27
P9 - 26
P10 - 25
P11 - 24
P12 - 23
P13 - 22
P14 - 21
P15 - 20
P16 - 19
P17 - 18
P18 - 17
P19 - 16
P20 – 15
P21 – 14
P22 – 13
P23 – 12
P24 – 11
P25 – 10
P26 – 9
P27 – 8
P28 – 7
P29 - 6
P30 - 5
P31 - 4
P32 - 3
P33 - 2
P34 - 1

Pole Position: 5 points
Fastest Lap: 5 points
Most laps led: 5 points

Drop Races: There will be two (2) drop races available throughout the season to allow for real life commitments. The RD Star Mazda Staff understand that things may come up but please make sure before signing up that you will at least be able to attend six (6) out of the eight (8) races.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties:
Please remember, the League staff will only review the first lap of each race as standard procedure - any other incidents must be reported before any review will be undertaken.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the league staff know. Send a PM to either Will Marquez, Kevin Watts, Abdul Ahmed or William Nowell. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. We simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

First lap penalty: If a driver causes an incident on the first lap of the race resulting in a major damage to another car, he will start from pitlane in the next race entered.

Blue flag: The driver receiving the blue flag is responsible of moving out of the racing line and give way to the lapping car as early as possible. In most situations, the driver receiving the blue flag will be deemed at fault in case of an incident with a front runner unless the incident is caused by the lapping driver's negligence.

Making contact from behind: In most situations a driver causing an incident by making contact from behind will be found guilty and penalized (a blue flag situation is one of the exceptions).

No Shows: If a driver does not post that they will not be attending a certain race. That will be considered a no show. Two or more no shows and the RD Star Mazda Series Staff can possibly remove that driver from league. Please if you are unable to attend a race, a simple post stating that you cannot attend will suffice.

Ive done abit of testing but only getting the downforce right, Still learning the track is a few corners that are quite hard to master well for me anyway. Lap times still of around 1.28 / 1.29 so a little off the pace but havnt really found my rythem yet where i can push it.

Yep trying to find the right downforce here will be key. Taking advantage of the oval section will be the best overtaking spot. Too low of a downforce and the infield section could be tricky. Like the track so far, good flow to it imo.

Whatcha think so far Bob?

I'm quite impressed with both the visual and driving realism. The cars seem to behave more like I would expect them to behave if I was actually in them driving. Still having some difficulty getting settings for my wheel that feel right, however I expect that I'll zero in on comfortable settings relatively quickly. Overall, pretty pleased with the investment.

Been having a whizz around Indy this morning.... nothing special time wise, but if I can keep all 4wheels pointing in the right direction I should be able to put in a decent showing.

Word of warning to those unfamiliar with the track.

Turn #1 - Don't cut the corner too much on the right through the cones or you'll end up with a slow down penalty.

Turn #7 (?) - Right hander on to the back straight. Don't run too wide on the left exiting the corner, as like Turn #1, you'll be handed a slow down penalty.

Enjoying the track. Technical left/rights where the right line will save you tenths here and there and then the flat out sections, where I'm sure drafting will play a part.

Roll on the 20th.

:D

Name: Jens Rindal
By signing up, I have agreed to the RD Star Mazda Series rules and format.

Questions:
Will iRacing SafetyRating be in effect during these races?
Does "Fast tows = 1 " mean 1 full repair?

Much regards Joakim Rindal

Name: Jens Rindal
By signing up, I have agreed to the RD Star Mazda Series rules and format.

Questions:
Will iRacing SafetyRating be in effect during these races?
Does "Fast tows = 1 " mean 1 full repair?

Much regards Joakim Rindal
J,

As they are hosted sessions, no impact on iRating or SR, so any incidents during the race will not be counted to reduce your ratings from official races.

Fast Tow is as you presume, a return to the pit and full repair to car.

:wink:

had abit of a practice today, had a good run and fiddled with some setups, best lap being a 126.9 with low fuel so im still a little bit off the pace.

Finding it tough to get the car setup to either get max speed around the straight or better handling on the road section.
My best lap was with the car pritty loose on the road section, so my qualifing setup is gonna be alot different to my race setup more so than useual :D

Some tough corners on this course its taken me awhile to find a good rythem. Looking forward to the race next sunday :D

A thank you to William for putting up the practice sessions last night, good fun nasty track to get consistent on.

I'll echo those comments, many thanks. Been a while since I had a run round Indy Road Course so good fun rediscovering a track. Wasn't as far off the pace as I was expecting in the end and a number of different set ups tried. In the end my fastest was with the one William posted up with the front ARB switched to soft for a bit more turn in.

Glad you guys came out. This was my first practice on this track and I feel sorry for those who wait until the day of the race to put in laps. It looks like 1:25s will be the fast race pace, with the faster guys hitting 1:24, Wyatt Gooden came in and did a 1:23.9:trophy:!! Thanks for the feedback on the setup.

pratice time groups

1 guy in the 1:23s
2 guys in the 1:24s
5 guys in the 1:25s
6 guys in the 1:26s
11 guys over 1:27

Hey guys, yeah thanx for putting the practice session up last night. I really enjoyed it, helped me get an idea for how fast some of u guys are :D

I was hitting laps about 1.27.5 i think though the underside was scraping loads on the last corner so i still need to work on my setup, can get it so nice through the bends, but then get on that back straight im runnin far to much downforce and too low :o

Wyatt was setting some amazing laps and i somehow got in behind him for a few (well i say a few it was more like 1 lap :D and he was gone lol) Trying to stick to wyatts line got me somewhere around 126.5 but not consistantly.
Wyatt hitting 155 down that back straight, amazin setup.
Looking forward to Sunday even thought still need alot of work, getting used to the layout now though.

the session last nite helped me loads tho...thanx alot ! :)

unofficial racedepartment practice - indy 1.jpg

I don't know where that lap of mine came from, lol.

It knocked 0.6 off what was my PB at the time. I think I more or less nailed each corner, where usually on a lap I'll muck the odd one or two up, but can still get it round in mid/high 1:25's. Whether I can run 15-20 laps at that pace is another question entirely, lol

As Will had made it an 'open' session, it appeared some of those who joined the fun like Wyatt, aren't actually running in our RD series, so I guess some of the quicker times shouldn't put guys off. Of the top ten from the session, only myself, David, Lars and William are from RD.

Hi Chaps

Took the Star Mazda out for the first time last night on Indy. Hardly used the car and never raced it so a big learning curve for me.

One thing that bothers me a little is that I feel as if there is a little deadzone or resistance around the centre of the steering wheel. The Skippy / MX5 etc just smoothly turn in whereas I find the turn in with this car as if I am taking bites out of the steering rather than a smooth motion. I have always had this feeling with the car and it has put me off looking at it seriously.

Anybody get a sense of what I am taliking about or is it just my imagination. Maybe it's the higher downforce that does it but to be fair I get the same feeling at most speeds. Maybe it can be dialled out with setups tweaks (camber/castor) ?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back