Raikkonen Confirmed at Ferrari for 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kimi Raikkonen 2018 Ferrari Contract.jpg

37-year-old Finnish star Kimi Raikkonen has secured a new one year extension to his current Ferrari deal, keeping the driver in Scuderia red for his eighth year with the team.

Raikkonen's performances have been much improved this season, and with his apparently strong working relationship with team leader Sebastian Vettel seen as an asset to Ferrari, it is perhaps not unexpected to see the driver extend his stay with the championship leading squad.

Raikkonen has currently completed in 122 Grand Prix for the Prancing Horse, placing him in third position on the all-time list of appearances with the Scuderia, just behind now Williams driver Felipe Massa on 139 and German legend Michael Schumacher with 179 Ferrari Grand Prix appearances.

2018 will mark his fifth consecutive season following a return to Formula One with Lotus in 2012, however Räikkönen is yet to secure a race victory in his second stint with team. The last race victory for Kimi Räikkönen was at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix, driving for Lotus Renault.

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news and discussion around the world of Grand Prix motorsport.

Raikkonen Secures New Ferrari Contract.jpg

Surprised to see Raikkonen get another chance with Ferrari next season? Do you think 2018 could be the last season in Formula One for the "Ice Man"? Who could fill the second seat in 2019 should Raikkonen walk away at the end of his new contract? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm a huge Kimi fan and I'm not going to be dishonest and pretend I don't see this as good news, but I think Ferrari is nuts - they can do better, IMO.

I'm assuming Kimi's return has a lot to do with great marketability (look at F1 fan surveys, he is always at/near the top of the favorite driver list) and the fact he doesn't seem to be a legitimate threat to Seb (and doesn't make a big fuss when the team screws him).

I'll still be pulling for him on Sundays! :thumbsup:

I think this was on the cards but I'm still a little surprised.

His body language after Hungary showed a driver who'd been completely let down by the team. They chose Vettel over him, when Kimi found he had more pace.

I'm not saying team orders don't happen, and sometimes they happen for a good reason but when you are being asked to defer to the other driver all the time it must take a mental beating on the driver. Even someone like Kimi.

Ferrari have made their choice and I wish him all the best but I hope he doesn't suffer a bad 2018 because of being made to play second fiddle to his team mate.

Yes I know the simple answer is "go faster" but sometimes it's more than that.

Continuity would appear to be what Ferrari feels is important for 2018 but with Seb supposedly on a one year deal and more drivers becoming available in 2019, I think it is the wise choice since the drivers seem to get along for the most part and Ferrari pays rather well. Maybe in 2019 Alonzo will be back with Daniel R as a teammate or Max?

Benutzername

www.hasenkamp-motorsport.de
Premium
I always read that Ferrari made their choice.

How about Kimi is lucky to be able to renew the contract with an absolute top team?
Kimi also made a choice to stay. Even after team orders.

Team orders that were obvious because Kimi just didnt deliver close enough to what Sebastian delivered so far this season.

If he manages to get the upperhand next season it would turn around.

I'm starting to think he's getting fed up with his place but he doesn't want to show it and make a scene out of it...

...though I guess that means another year of Raikkonen being a sweetheart on the radio then :p

Inside F1 reported some time ago that Vettel was going for a 3yr deal and part of that deal was that Kimi remained for one more year as #2, Vettel has heaps of pull within Ferrari so it seems, he also doesn't like to be upstaged by his team mates. The fact Kimi is so layback obviously suits Vettels plans, it makes him look better as Kimi doesn't make to big a fuss over team orders etc.

Ferrari is a team that is doing it right, partly because they can afford to, but partly because they are smart and passionate about the sport, and more particularly, drivers. Others treat drivers (looking at you Red Bull and Williams) as "human chattel" and only useful for money in and marketing out.

As a huge Kimi fan, I both want him to go IndyCar and stay at Ferrari. However, I think the team orders nonsense is both a reality, but far overblown when applied to Ferrari. They are no different than any other F1 team, and so that's pathetic, but also a reality. But I think they balance it well; I think Kimi knows the rules; and I think assuming he can pass one of the best road course drivers in the world is assuming too much. Tracks like Hungary are a giant "no passing" zone. Kimi is about 1000x more talented that Mad Max and he couldn't pass him. Nobody could...the DRS zones are too short and the track is too tight. But at least Vettel didn't act like a complete idiot by blocking in a braking zone.

Also, it's rare that team personnel get along. Mauricio and Kimi and Seb all really get along, and you can tell. I'm a huge fan of Mauricio because he is a walking stereotype and that's cool. lol.

As for me, I'd much rather be a #2 driver (in a drivers' series, there would be virtually no light between the Ferrari pair's lap times) at Ferrari than a #1 driver at Red Bull. Anyday. And, unfortunately, drivers probably like (a certain kind of driver...the Monaco type) being walled off from the fans, which does not happen in IndyCar. In fact, they have to put locks on the wing change tools so fans won't turn them before the race in the paddock. :laugh:

Last edited:
If I was a young driver signed with Ferrari, I'd be sorely disappointed. Obviously, they wanted to please Vettel, because Kimi will never challenge him. A young and hungry driver would have shaken things up, but their goal is to make it as easy as possible for Vettel to win a championship. It's a point of view that I understand, but it's still a lame decision.

kinda expected it. Kimi is doing a great job as a support to Seb so far this season. Ferrari will not worry about relationship issue with their drivers. Don't expect another WDC for Kimi thought. Happy to hear he still on the grid for next season, I will miss his great team radio messages once he is retired.

If I was a young driver signed with Ferrari, I'd be sorely disappointed.
You'd also probably not be as good as Raikkonen. If Bianchi was only about ready to sign for Sauber when he had his crash, none of the current rookies have what it takes to go any better than that, especially without any actual experience in F1 cars. When you account for the fact that you have to be decently fast, decently consistent and especially ready to sacrifice yourself for the #1 driver to be a good #2, there is simply no alternative for Raikkonen right now, and if you were in the young driver squad and thought too highly of yourself to the point where you thought otherwise or disagreed with their philosophy, you'd probably just get fired like Perez did and then suck in a McLaren or something. Grosjean's the only even remotely viable option and he lost to Raikkonen in 2012 and 2013, so why get him? Leclerc will get his chance as a #1 once Vettel retires, and the same goes for Giovinazzi as a #2.

I'm a huge Kimi fan and I'm not going to be dishonest and pretend I don't see this as good news, but I think Ferrari is nuts - they can do better, IMO.
They can't. If they had two equal drivers in the team they would just lose the WDC, and they have no need for the WCC when the WDC brings more marketing and they already get the most money out of every team in the sport so long as they finish decently high up. This is Ferrari we're talking about, not some idiotic German manufacturer. Plus, this way, they get to give the best driver on the grid priority on upgrades and make sure he scores as many points as possible. As you can tell from the standings, this is working right now.

Last edited:
As for perspective, the best road course driver in the world is named Mattias Ekstrom. :) If you factor in ovals (wow...that Pocono race was un-freaking-believable) then it gets harder.

I always factor them in. lol. So, Fernando...I'm looking at you as #1 in the world. ;)

P.S. - Scott Dixon may have a gripe. :laugh:

P.P.S. - Not all F1 drivers can cope with ovals the way Fernando did. Just ask Esteban Gutiérrez after that fade into the wall early at Pocono.

Last edited:
If I was a young driver signed with Ferrari, I'd be sorely disappointed. Obviously, they wanted to please Vettel, because Kimi will never challenge him. A young and hungry driver would have shaken things up, but their goal is to make it as easy as possible for Vettel to win a championship. It's a point of view that I understand, but it's still a lame decision.
This is good thing for Ferrari jrs, specifically Leclerc, he's not gonna get upped straight from F2 to a Ferrari, Ferrari doesn't work like that.
With this move Ferrari keeps Kimi a couple of more years(i think he may do 2019 too) and then Leclerc steps up.

If they got a young talent like Sainz the doors would be closed for the forseeable future.

This is good thing for Ferrari jrs, specifically Leclerc, he's not gonna get upped straight from F2 to a Ferrari, Ferrari doesn't work like that.
With this move Ferrari keeps Kimi a couple of more years(i think he may do 2019 too) and then Leclerc steps up.

If they got a young talent like Sainz the doors would be closed for the forseeable future.
Bang on. Ferrari has the best driver crop (and you might as well throw in Haas also) by a country mile,

F_B

Premium
Hope he can secure one or two (or even more) victories again. He’s one of the most relaxed and honest guys on the grid who speaks his mind without hesitating.

Hope he can secure one or two (or even more) victories again. He’s one of the most relaxed and honest guys on the grid who speaks his mind without hesitating.
Yeah, now he has a good car underneath him, I want Kimi to win at least the Belgian Grand Prix and then one more race. Maybe Suzuka? Would be certainly be fitting for sure.

No offence, I love Kimi with all my heart. But Ferrari has one very promising and one awesome talent (Dominating F2 atm) on their lineup. And I personally think it's time for the new talents to shine. I Hope they at least get the Sauber seats.
Still happy to have Kimi around tho, he's always awesome :D

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 26.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 75 16.6%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%