PC1 Project Cars First Impressions Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background

Got my start in GT1-2 then moved on to Forza 1-4. Spent a good 3 years or so doing two race series a week in Forza 4. Also raced GTR and Nascar PC sims years ago. Then made the jump to PC and iRacing. Been doing iRacing semi serious for about 18 months. with a few othes on the side for fun (Dirt rally etc)

Intro
well since the begining ive had a love/hate with iRacing. the lack of grip is so unrealistic and i hate the tip toe way you have to go around the tracks. the V6 tire model was a huge improvement in the right direction, but still has a way to go.
Ive been looking into Assetto Corsa(AC) and Project Cars(PC) the last 6 months and finally pulled the trigger on PC.
AC had the better car list, along with new car packs every few months. It also had the C7R which was HUGE for me. also had better ambient sounds like tranny wine etc. AC also had the bigger following. however PC had the visuals i was looking and richer sound tones in all the comparisons id watched.
Ive jotted down a few notes from my first few hours on PC.

General
One thing that worried me was PC was known to have poorer performance on AMD GPUs and in Windows 7. I have both. That held me off a few weeks, but ended up not being a problem for my setup(i7/8gb GPU).
I also liked the Rain/Night/Beauty of PC vs AC.
I set it up in Pro mode, no assists and 80% AI difficulty.
I dont care for the automated driving when you enter the pits.
Tons of options, and options for the options, you can customize everything in the game.
I found the driving a tad too easy, but also very satisfying. that being said i finished dead last in every single race. twice i got second to last.
Fast load times. Typically 6-7 seconds
Tracks not laser scanned. i did notice a few tiny differences in a couple tracks. were a straight would be a tiny bit shorter, or a corner slightly tighter. but 99% of the time i couldnt tell the difference.
Gearing seems really tall. 2nd gear would do 100mph in most cars. also a weird thing when stoped and trying to move in 1st or Reverse. the rpms would go straight to red line and the car would barely move. then after a couple times of this it would only do like super slow accelleration like a massive TCS system or something. but this only happened after a spin from a stop or something.
I have not go into tuning, or FFB tweaks or anything yet. basically driven as default.

One of the big things that drew me to PC is the Helmet view. WOW! turn all the HUD off and the Immersion is absolutly insane! The high pitched sounds are muffled just like wearing a real helmet, and the driver turns his head into the apex and also tilts his head into the corner too!(both with adjustable levels) also the focus blur is really cool. love this effect. It does make it a tad hard to tell how much steering input you have in the car/need at first, but you get the hang of it after a bit. worth it. I think you can also adjust how much head movement there is, bumps, speed etc.

And the video that single handedly got me so stoked about PC was this video. This is the **** i signed up for when i got into sim racing. Ive watched this many times and it gets me so amped. just awesome.

Physics
Id say it has a hair too much grip and a bit too easy at times. this changes weither your in a GT VS street car, but the Race cars are probly a tad too easy at times.
The Braking also is a bit too strong/easy most of the times as well. i found myself braking way too early most of the time, as the brakes were more effective than they probly should be. also even at the limits of threshold braking its uneventful. the car is not moving around trying to kill you like it should be at that limit, its just planted and calm.
There is kind of a lack of feel. there is no road feel on half the cars/tracks and this kinda leads to a lack of connectedness with the car at times.
For now im gonna rate the physics some where between a Forza/Turismo and Dirt Rally.

Cars
Most of them seemed too tough in crashes.
my first few combos i tried the game on:

I am very familiar with the RUF GT3 @ Laguna seca from iRacing so i wanted to try that combo first. Cornering Grip seemed almost unlimited at first compared to iRacing. but a rear engine RUF GT3 car should almost feel that way. im sure driving a real one wed say the same. Accell and braking had slightly less grip, than corning, but still a TON. I tried same car at Brands hatch and noticed less grip than Laguna. but still good.

Next up BMW 1 series street car @ Catalunya. definatly grip limited. unsteered and slide and lower performance like a street car should. seemed slow compared to the RUF of course, but had a good sense of speed at the same time.

BMW Z4 GT3 less grip than RUF, about right.

Then i went for the holy grail from above video. been waiting for this. BMW 320 Turbo Group 5 @ Nordschleife. Wow! orgasmic
biggrin.png
. had a huge sense of speed, but things didnt come at me too fast that you felt you could react or handle them. plenty of time to setup and take corner, but felt like you were flying too. first thought it had too much grip, but then i over cooked a few corners and it would understeer and go offtrack. I could really FEEL the turbo and power in the car. cool feeling. i later tried this combo again and while not quite as big of an impession as the first time it was still sweet.

Mustang Boss 302 @ Road Atlanta in the rain. Obviously lower grip in wet. noticable big time. upper RPM sounds need work. good FFB/road feel. Fun but lots of work/driving.

Ariel Atom V8 @ Monza. just right grip. had to slow and counter steer in corners on the street tires. had to be really carefull on the gas.

Ford MK @ Brands Hatch. Impossible to drive. looped every corner no matter how careful.

Mustang Cobra Trans Am Racer. Lively and a blast

Sauber C9 @ Catalunya. Awesome car! slow shifts though.

Force Feedback
Mostly just resistance
no road feel on most cars. some cars and tracks do have it though
the wheel moves appropriatly when you lock up the rears and slide, or let go and let the wheel self center at the exit of a drift.
you can feel the curbs and rumble strips when you drive over them.
no braking FFB
no traction FFB
seems like you almost have to go offtrack to get much FFB of any kind.

Sound
richer (deep tones) than AC, but lacks some of the smaller effects of AC such as tranny wine.
the Tire sounds at the edge of limit sound great and realistic. Over the limit the squeels are bad and cheesy.
Sounds change with view! chase cam has more exhaust note, helmet cam is muffled, etc. all different tones to each.
gravel sounds like maracas at times
Engine sounds sound a bit digital and cheesy at times, especially higher rpms.

AI
respectful
will go out of there way not to hit you, including going off course. for both passing, and if you wreck in front of them.

Weather
Rain and thunderstorms are awesome
wet track effects grip for sure
Great effects
colors and outside are grey and dull like real life outside cabin in rain. inside cabin still vibrant contrast. pretty real.

Graphics
no contest its pretty. all the lighting effects and little particles. damn nice visually.
love the focus blur on the helmet cam
im running with everything maxed out. no Frame rate issue. no clue what FR is but not glitchy at all. smooth. Im running a single 1080 monitor.
brake lights are too bright
the one thing that was set to low default, was the active grass or something like that. i tried this set to high and i had floating grass up at eye level and hgue bug. i have it just set to off now.
had a few lighting artifacts (windsheild reflections) that would get stuck on the screen when you first started on a few tracks, but go away as soon as a new reflection hits the windsheild.
the live marbles are badass. move and get kicked up when you drive over them. also the small ones even roll when the air of your car goes by them. awesome touch. same goes with leaves on tracks with trees.
smoke is very real. this is tough to do. it appears, drifts, and dissappears very realistically.

only spent a few minutes online so far.
1st lobby i entered i got booted
2nd lobby my car appeared to have been dropped from an airplane. just tubbling way up in the air.
3rd lobby worked. appeared to be a practice or something. joined mid session.
lets you create your own lobby, as well as do private lobbys. choose your own cars/tracks/weather etc.
didnt appear to be many online only 2 lobbys with people in them.

Closing
Ill anxious to get more time to see if PC gets the thumbs up or down.
Curious how often new cars would come.
they appear to do updates every month even with PC2 coming. every 2-3 updates appear to have new cars/tracks.
also not sure if it will hold up long term as a sim ill run.
definatly enjoying it for now.

Nono :) not pcars fault that nissan crashed :D that would be super ridiculous .. It was Harder braking mid corner (thing you could easily do in pCars, yet not in sims .. And i rather believe driver racing lmp for a living or guy managing real race team than some anonymous person on Internet, no offense :)

Also you should realize that it is not about specific car that must be the exact car in real life... It is about basic car mechanics.. Formula Rookie is fictional but it is basically the same as ford or vee or even older Skippy...simple suspension, low downforce..there is no reason why it should behave differently by some miracle or greater technology.. It is just physics (forces, friction, mass transfer, balance) .. Go to you YT and search for skip Barber school video .. you will understand how arcade formula rookie is..

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Nono :) not pcars fault that nissan crashed :D that would be super ridiculous .. It was Harder braking mid corner .. And i rather believe driver racing lmp for a living or guy managing real race team than some anonymous person on Internet, no offense :)
I realized after rereading (it made no sense) - i already removed that sentence ... language barrier. if Toyota drivers would state that (where i can read it) i would instantly believe it (expect he is promoting a game or a product), but not when a driver saying it of a team that failed pretty hard.
:D

I realized after rereading (it made no sense) - i already removed that sentence ... language barrier. if Toyota drivers would state that (where i can read it) i would instantly believe it (expect he is promoting a game or a product), but not when a driver saying it of a team that failed pretty hard.
:D
Sorry but that makes no sense.. So some of best race drivers are irrelevant cause nissan as team had issues to deliver desired results?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Also you should realize that it is not about specific car that must be the exact car in real life... It is about basic car mechanics.. Formula Rookie is fictional but it is basically the same as ford or vee or even older Skippy...simple suspension, low downforce..there is no reason why it should behave differently by some miracle or greater technology.. It is just physics (forces, friction, mass transfer, balance) .. Go to you YT and search for skip Barber school video .. you will understand how arcade formula rookie is..
Thats just half the truth. Quick comparison between Formula Rookie and Formula Vee:
Formula Rookie uses slightly wider tires, Formula Rookie has sidepods and is thereby wider, Formula Rookie uses slicks, Formula Rookie has clearly more aerodynamic overall, obviously it has more grip. This is realistic. And besides that, did you ever try pushing the Rookie at its limit or even beyond with a proper race setup. Its then easy to loose the rear.
I saw the video where a Vee is driving on Bathurst, does it looses its rear all the time - no, but little wiggles, now calculating in the additional grip the Rookie has due to said above, its logical that the rookie is very possible in the range of the realistic.
Sorry but that makes no sense.. So few of best race drivers are irrelevant cause nissan as team had issues to deliver desired results?
Imo yes. I mean theyre not up the pace by a lot ... i mean Nissan even didnt get classified with their LMP1 car. The Rebellion Car finished behind LMP2s. What tells me that their LMP1 car is behaving correctly?
At Toyota (ie) i know their car is behaving correctly, it has the pace to keep up with the LMP1s. And you can compare it with Project CARS (RL - PCARS), but there is no Nissan in PCARS (sofar).

P.s. Im getting tired - im continue to reply tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not obsessed with defending PCARS. Favorite game? I have a few of them :D
I wont stop, i hate it when people spread lies! I dont want this game to change fundamentally. Its a good Sim.

Please stop calling this game a sim. I hate it when people spread lies.

See how it can be turned around? Pathetic really. Just agree that others don't share the same opinion as you.

• Deleted member 113561

Please stop calling this game a sim. I hate it when people spread lies.

See how it can be turned around? Pathetic really. Just agree that others don't share the same opinion as you.
Just bad that the polls are on my side ... most people are the opinion it is a sim. And per definition it is a Sim. Noob Troll attempt by you.

I can accept that others have different opinion, but not when they argue with lies and just state things that are completely wrong.

Just bad that the polls are on my side ... most people are the opinion it is a sim. And per definition it is a Sim. Noob Troll attempt by you.

I can accept that others have different opinion, but not when they argue with lies and just state things that are completely wrong.
Again you resort to verbal abuse. :rolleyes:
And exactly what lies are you accusing anyone of?

• Deleted member 113561

Ie: You accuse people who like the game to be fanboys --> Youre lying
or
Ie: PCARS is simcade --> lie

Btw - you call this game simcade, but you clearly contradict yourself: LOL
Yes Pcars is easier, but not less realistic than main stream sims. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about everything David posts in the pCARS forum could be considered verbal abuse of one thing or another. I think David and yes this is an assumption that he has for his own tastes or one reason or another maybe got his start in Sim Racing with one title like a lot of us have and that sticks with us maybe forever so he is comparing pCARS to what ever sim title he first jumped into and that has created his overall view of what is Sim. He has brainwashed himself in the creation of his selective beliefs. In the end it's only his selective opinion. My problem is why does he feel he has to beat it like a dead horse in a forum the majority does not want to hear it and has gotten pretty sick of it.

Last edited:
Just about everything David posts in the pCARS forum could be considered verbal abuse of one thing or another. .

You're still pretending casual gamers don't exist?....so when I call someone a casual gamer you've preemptively constructed a scenario whereby my reasonable assessment is automatically deemed a troll, very convenient and typical btw.

I started sim racing in early 2009, and have bought or tested EVERY PC sim on the market since 2005.
I've also owned and driven many high performance Australian Muscle cars, I've also been watching motor racing since the 80's.

I've also had the privilege of being able to speak with modders who've been paid for the professional quality of their work,......... and the pro race teams aren't interested in too hard to drive or too much grip, they want it as close to reality as possible.

I got the privilege to drive one of these machines{ a modified GTR EVO C6R} and it was better than the simbin original, and nothing like the hit or miss Pcars.

Pcars is without question Shift3, and there's nothing wrong with that if you like that sort of driving model, but it lacks the precision/detail and FFB quality for that matter to be judged a a sim by someone like me.

• Deleted member 113561

I don't think Andys a troll whatsoever.
Nah he is 100% troll. Youre 200%.
You're still pretending casual gamers don't exist?....so when I call someone a casual gamer you've preemptively constructed a scenario whereby my reasonable assessment is automatically deemed a troll, very convenient and typical btw.

I started sim racing in early 2009, and have bought or tested EVERY PC sim on the market since 2005.
I've also owned and driven many high performance Australian Muscle cars, I've also been watching motor racing since the 80's.

I've also had the privilege of being able to speak with modders who've been paid for the professional quality of their work,......... and the pro race teams aren't interested in too hard to drive or too much grip, they want it as close to reality as possible.

I got the privilege to drive one of these machines{ a modified GTR EVO C6R} and it was better than the simbin original, and nothing like the hit or miss Pcars.

Pcars is without question Shift3, and there's nothing wrong with that if you like that sort of driving model, but it lacks the precision/detail and FFB quality for that matter to be judged a a sim by someone like me.
Cant you troll better? Common ...

Casual Gamers exists - nobody denies that. Youre a troll. And we all know that.

2009? Youre a noob in Sim Racing. Go grow up and maybe your opinion will be worth something at one time in your life.

I had the privilege to speak with real racing drivers, hell some of them are my colleagues or even friends. They know better than some keyboard warriors.

PCARS is without question NOT Shift 3. Its a pure SIM on the level of rF2. It has a wonderful FFB if customized well.

2009? Youre a noob in Sim Racing. Go grow up and maybe your opinion will be worth something at one time in your life.

I had the privilege to speak with real racing drivers, hell some of them are my colleagues or even friends. They know better than some keyboard warriors.

PCARS is without question NOT Shift 3. Its a pure SIM on the level of rF2. It has a wonderful FFB if customized well.
I disagree it's not on the same level as rf2 in my opinion.

This is the most childish and silly post yet on here. Can't you just have a conversation without resorting to abuse and childish name calling? You and the other investors seem to be very good at calling people here names and labelling others as trolls. Grow up.

SimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSimSim

Again, extremely childish. Can we not have a reasoned discussion without you guys being abusive?

Ie: PCARS is simcade --> lie

I see. So if anyone has the opinion that the game is simcade, they are a liar? And that is according to the god given rule of a big investor called Neuer31? That clears it all up chaps. We should have realised. :rolleyes: His is the final word and the law I presume.:speechless:

• Deleted member 113561

Again, extremely childish. Can we not have a reasoned discussion without you guys being abusive?
I see. So if anyone has the opinion that the game is simcade, they are a liar? And that is according to the god given rule of a big investor called Neuer31? That clears it all up chaps. We should have realised. :rolleyes: His is the final word and the law I presume.:speechless:
You know, i could back it up. The polls are proofing me correct. You showed no proofs, no facts, no proper references, nothing like that. People agree that youre a troll here. Your past is full of trolling in this forum (see further below) and shameful behaviour.
I accused you of being a liar, not everyone. Yes youre a liar and a troll.
This is the most childish and silly post yet on here. Can't you just have a conversation without resorting to abuse and childish name calling? You and the other investors seem to be very good at calling people here names and labelling others as trolls. Grow up.
Lets show here who is a kid:
hs4hacivm86c981zg.jpg
So who is the kid now here? Who is the troll? Who needed to insult & threaten me? Who got warned by admins / moderators for your shameful behaviour in this forum?
Answer = You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play