PC2 Project CARS 2 Update 2.0 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Update 1.jpg

PlayStation 4 and PC versions of Project CARS 2 received a nice new update today, patching the game to build version 2.0 and adding plenty of fixes.

The new update follows relatively hot on the heels of the September 28th update and addresses plenty of the problem areas reported by the community since the game released, most notable of which would be the AI behavioural and race line improvements, hopefully going some way towards bringing the game AI up to speed and able to present a more respectable offline experience.

Other notable changes for this new patch include potential optimisation improvements to a number of the tracks within Project CARS 2, something that will come as a relief to a number of users who have reported less than ideal FPS returns between different circuit and atmospheric conditions.

No news is available as to the potential for an Xbox One update to the game, stay tuned for more on that at as and when it becomes available..

Build 2.0 Release Notes
  • Improved driving line assist.
  • Various AI behavioural and race line improvements.
  • Multiple improvements and enhancements to multiplayer, and lobby handling.
  • Improvements and enhancements to audio and sound effects.
  • Improvements and enhancements to replays and replay cameras.
  • USB keyboard support improved.
  • Improvements, enhancements and fixes to Career flow.
  • Enhancements to various cars’ handling and standard setup improvements.
  • Tweaks and fixes to Achievement / Trophy unlock logic.
  • Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.
  • Improved default assists for gamepad users.
  • Fixes and improvements to headlights and brake lights.
  • Fixes and improvements to ICM appearance and functionality.
  • Improvements and enhancements to steering wheel support.
  • Fixes and improvements to certain weather / tyre combinations.
  • Optimisations to tracks across the game.
  • Myriad render and performance tweaks and improvements.

Project CARS 2 is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 now.

Project CARS 2 Update 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Update 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 Update 4.jpg

To take your Project CARS 2 experience to the next level, head over to our RaceDepartment Project CARS 2 sub forum and check out the community discussion. We have a place to download the latest Project CARS 2 mods, a brand new Racing Club. Head over, get involved and become part of the community today!

Happy with the new patch? What do you think of the game so far? How do the AI compare following build 2.0? Let us know below!

Last edited:
Only thing I have spotted that changed with the patch is they recently started again closing threads on the forum for stupid reasons.

Like this one, regardless the OP was right or not, he wasn't rude or anything, just used "angry face" emote in the title:

"Thread closed for angry face."

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ppointed-by-this-rating&p=1392854#post1392854

The way they are doing the "business" is really incomprehensible to me. I like the game, but this attitude is drawing me back again.

Good grief that's pathetic, don't like angry faces don't allow the forum users to use them in the first place! I also agree the post wasn't rude or anything, seemed like a genuine question as to why his rating sucks after so many clean races but blimey use an angry face and LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN #Facepalm

I was reading your posts on the pcars forum and was rofling :D

Those guys act like they are untouchable ^^ They can make jokes on you but you can't make any joke on them :D
Mods and community staff there really lost the track.

Like yesterday, after seeing the patch notes, I have politely asked them for detailed info and I was told to go play the game and find out myself. :) They refuse to have central thread for bug reports, thus every bug is reported in separate thread several times, yet they still don't have a thread listing known bugs.

Sometimes it looks like they are doing this job for the first time in their life.

If they can't handle their customers with cool head, they should hire someone who can respond in professional manner (no pr bs though).

I'm very pleased that the patch was released in a timely manner, but unfortunately the patch notes are so incredibly vague that they essentially amount to "we worked on some stuff", and make it very hard for users to contribute meaningful feedback. We have no specifics against which to base observations, and run the risk of reporting placebos and incurring the ire/derision of SMS/WMD. I've done a few hours of testing on Oulton and Cadwell Parks with the Cat 620, Ginetta G40, Radical SR3 and various Lancers in various conditions and while I think there's been a few changes for the better, I also think there's quite a few things that are barely any different, or maybe even worse. But given the superficiality of the patch notes I could just be imagining it all :)

Positives:
  • AI is a bit better off the start and through turn 1?
  • The tyre scrub sounds are less screechy, more progressive and informative?
  • Cockpit view is less aliased?

Unchanged/worse:
  • Major AI skill inconsistency within classes, between classes, between tracks, within regions on tracks etc etc
  • AI are still massively affected by heavy rain, yet not by puddles
  • Excessively fast front runner AI can be very difficult to catch, but give up the ghost if you manage to pass them
  • Some car AI (eg Lancer IX) have gained unbeatable cornering and straight line speed at difficulty settings that you could thrash them at previously.
  • Some car AI (eg Cat 620R) can now be thrashed at difficulty settings that previously made them enjoyably competitive.
  • AI still happy to rear end you off a standing start
I’m mainly focusing on the AI because as an SP offline player I think this affects the game’s playability for me the most, given that the the graphics, physics, ffb, audio, track progression and core AI competence are really solid. I hope that future patches can bring some further improvements to AI consistency and balance, perhaps accompanied by meaningful release notes so that there’s less guess work involved for those of us who are trying to contribute input to support the devs.

Lol. 70% want to complain, 15% just get on with it, then we have 14% that understand the shortfalls. EVERY new game has glitches and problems. The 30% that will still be playing, with mates and leagues will be the winners.
I mean just look at the game. Tell me a better total package. None of the other Sims can match it.
They have had more time to FIX glitches.

Good grief that's pathetic, don't like angry faces don't allow the forum users to use them in the first place! I also agree the post wasn't rude or anything, seemed like a genuine question as to why his rating sucks after so many clean races but blimey use an angry face and LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN #Facepalm

Well yes you know for a fact that if someone started a thread saying "Haters suck go back to forza (angry face)"
It would not get removed.
PCars 1 forum was worse though back in the day, same vile people are still there though derailing threads and bullying customers with legitimate issues and full of sycophants desperate for Ian's approval.
Imagine what PRC blog would be saying now had Ian not paid him off.... all he's doing now is going around calling himself an SMS employee whilst slagging off rival games...errrm i'm no expert but isn't that contravening something? I used to work for a huge energy company and we could never slag off the rivals if we did we got the boot...

Mods and community staff there really lost the track.

Like yesterday, after seeing the patch notes, I have politely asked them for detailed info and I was told to go play the game and find out myself. :) They refuse to have central thread for bug reports, thus every bug is reported in separate thread several times, yet they still don't have a thread listing known bugs.

Sometimes it looks like they are doing this job for the first time in their life.

If they can't handle their customers with cool head, they should hire someone who can respond in professional manner (no pr bs though).

I know that too :) That's why I was banned because they couldn't face the thruth what they did...and that hasn't changed since day 1. Really a shame on them! Neither or less they did a better job with the Project CARS 2.

Lol. 70% want to complain, 15% just get on with it, then we have 14% that understand the shortfalls. EVERY new game has glitches and problems. The 30% that will still be playing, with mates and leagues will be the winners.
I mean just look at the game. Tell me a better total package. None of the other Sims can match it.

In your opinion. PCars 1 for one can match it IMO and IMO a few better it. The only winners are the poeple who will own them all, for me i'm waiting for the beta testers to get a few patches out there then get it in a steam sale..

Problem is that almost every piece of the package is somewhat buggy.

I can't properly enjoy career, because of the uneven AI performance across the tracks in the series. I have to first start the round, see how the AI performs and then go back and set the difficulty slider accordingly (several times, before I get it right to be placed in the middle of the field).

I can't enjoy time trials, because the poor implementation of leaderboards and buggy on-track lap info panel.

I'm lucky I don't play online now though, because reportedly online is currently messed up too.

So what's left from the package to really enjoy? Cruising solo around the track and try different weather.

Why is it necessary to release a game in this state? If the bugs are fixable, then fix them before release and you won't be hearing so much complaints 24/7.

Well, the game can be at places still fun, but the longer you play it, the more are these "little" things annoying.

Pc2 is really good on most fronts; the AI is now better, even when it's still a bit inconsistent between combos and with the puddles and rain issue. I'm very happy with its physics, handling and FFB, considering that I regularly hop from sim to sim for comparison. Pc2 is even better in the physics/handling department than a few of the other revered sims. It is coming along and a few more patches will finally produce (I'm confident) a real gem and landmark of a sim.

Problem is that almost every piece of the package is somewhat buggy.
[snip]
Well, the game can be at places still fun, but the longer you play it, the more are these "little" things annoying.

This post is a good sum up of what I think... I really waited for this game and really wanted it to be good, but the more I play it, the more I ask myself :"why didn't they see this bug ?", "why did they choose this UI design (leaderboards in particular) ? "Really ? I need to save my setup each time I remove 10l of fuel or change my tire pressure ?"

I have tried to download the patch but I keep getting the "not enough memory" error. The file is only supposed to be 3.6gb, I have 26gb avail on my DD. Apparently, Steam thinks I need 45gb to install the patch. Does it want to reinstall the whole game? How do I get the patch installed?

I'm very pleased that the patch was released in a timely manner, but unfortunately the patch notes are so incredibly vague that they essentially amount to "we worked on some stuff", and make it very hard for users to contribute meaningful feedback. We have no specifics against which to base observations, and run the risk of reporting placebos and incurring the ire/derision of SMS/WMD. I've done a few hours of testing on Oulton and Cadwell Parks with the Cat 620, Ginetta G40, Radical SR3 and various Lancers in various conditions and while I think there's been a few changes for the better, I also think there's quite a few things that are barely any different, or maybe even worse. But given the superficiality of the patch notes I could just be imagining it all :)

Positives:
  • AI is a bit better off the start and through turn 1?
  • The tyre scrub sounds are less screechy, more progressive and informative?
  • Cockpit view is less aliased?

Unchanged/worse:
  • Major AI skill inconsistency within classes, between classes, between tracks, within regions on tracks etc etc
  • AI are still massively affected by heavy rain, yet not by puddles
  • Excessively fast front runner AI can be very difficult to catch, but give up the ghost if you manage to pass them
  • Some car AI (eg Lancer IX) have gained unbeatable cornering and straight line speed at difficulty settings that you could thrash them at previously.
  • Some car AI (eg Cat 620R) can now be thrashed at difficulty settings that previously made them enjoyably competitive.
  • AI still happy to rear end you off a standing start
I’m mainly focusing on the AI because as an SP offline player I think this affects the game’s playability for me the most, given that the the graphics, physics, ffb, audio, track progression and core AI competence are really solid. I hope that future patches can bring some further improvements to AI consistency and balance, perhaps accompanied by meaningful release notes so that there’s less guess work involved for those of us who are trying to contribute input to support the devs.

Agree with everything you said except the AI at starts. I didn't get rammed on the start even once last night when I tried a few races. However, the AI in turn 1 was a total disaster. 40% of the field wrecked out in Bathurst and at the Nurburgring GP the whole field came to a stop and smashed into each other.

Not what you will want to hear, but you have to free up more space. It really needs 45GB even though it's just an update.

I have a 250gb DD, and I have only installed AC, Dirt Rally, Euro Truck Sim, and PC2. ETS is only about 2gb, and I'm not going to delete Dirt Rally. The only way for me to free up 45gb is too remove PC2. If I do that, then reinstall it again will that work?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back