Pro Server Weekend

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
As you might have noticed already. The RPMnet RACE servers are set on full race weekend distances with changeable weather, forced cockpit view and no automatic gears allowed.
Tested it myself the last two hours and noticed, even in een public room, the rammers stay out and i got fair races with good drivers.
Whats your opinion about it?

• Lars Gerrit Korb

I have slightly to correct my point of view:

Tested the past two days in cockpitview (and in an Alfa 156 GTA) and really have to say
that it a real nice feeling.
I think for me it was just a bit uncomfortable to switch from the used
perspective to an unexperienced.

Now i am a bit used to cockpit, i think it might be worth a try.

Greetz

OK Guys, I apologise for exaggerating to the point of going off topic.
I guess I hadn't seen myself as a "cheat" and "arcade racer", and had some surprise with it.
Anyway, my first post on this subject gave my opinion, I "preferred" the bonnet view and I explained my reasons.
I hope we can all enjoy this game in our own personal way, while still sharing the track with others.
Cheers :)

RaceHearT[RPM];51526 said:
OK arcade drivers can use the "forced cockpitview" and the simulation drivers
"Bonnet View" :)

new dictator rules or whats going here ...
had believed that we are the community :)

These are just opinions and thoughts, not new rules, once started a tournament keep the rules as they are. It's normal some things need to be discussed in a community, it keeps the community alive. :)

WAKUWAKU[RPM];51560 said:
These are just opinions and thoughts, not new rules, once started a tournament keep the rules as they are. It's normal some things need to be discussed in a community, it keeps the community alive. :)

ah ok thx for info with tournamant rules
because i amaze that all servers are configured as "forced cockpitview"

and off course my content included a hint of sarcasm :)

seya on track with TV View lol

RaceHearT[RPM];51571 said:
ah ok thx for info with tournamant rules
because i amaze that all servers are configured as "forced cockpitview"

and off course my content included a hint of sarcasm :)

seya on track with TV View lol

Thats it, next tournament will be driven in TV view, this will be forced and no steeringwheels are allowed:)

Keep in rolling!

well so we can suit everyone why dont you just do 2 pro servers and 2 normal servers and our racing club :p

Maybe a other question... "do we want to suit everyone??"
I don't thinks so, sometimes there are rulez and there can be talked about offcourse.

Sure we want to have as much as fun as possible, but we need rules.

It good to know why people are driving; Just for fun, Trying to win in a fair way, etc etc.

There are a lot options to adjust your cockpit view: Closer, Further, Higher, lower. etc. Real mirrors or Virtual. A good setup will allow you to see whats around you.

Oke you not always see really good, but then you need to be carefull with you actions :)

PS: here are my 2euro's :), btw if everyone saves that 2cents,dollars,euro and put it in the RPM box (when its there) we can do some more nice thing during the tournaments :D

Grtz,
Maik.

lol, what a great discussion this is becoming! I was away for the weekend and just opened the servers with the idea of keeping the rammers away, because the server admin was away too :)

Normally i use bonnetview as well, but since the mini tournament i drive mostly cockpitview and sequential gears (just as in the real world) with the shifter.

I dont like the term dictatorship posted somewhere here in this thread. We are not forcing anyone to drive cockpitview. There are several servers online where you are free to hop in. Just as you are free to hop in our servers at RPM.

This was just an experiment and it ended with a good discussion, great! We'll see what it brings further.

well, at least the forced cockpitview and the long race did not keep away all the stupido guys... I am just coming from a Race from Brands Hatch, where i was racing with a guy named Gorka.
He was leading got a better start in his BMW, i am behind, then at lap 2 i made a mistake, felt back to around 3-4 sec to him. At the middle of the lap he also made a mistake, wnet out of the track, came back to the middle of the track standing at the back fast corners, i could not avoid him hitting. Then i was the stupid, and after intentionally wracked me standing at the side on the grass chating to him, why he called me stupid... naaaah, thats stupid!!!

Well. It seems some of you get real emotional from all this. Just this: nothing is decided yet, this is/was a test.

As for my own experience: I have to smash you hopes. All these changes do not make the rammers dissappear. Yesterday I drove in several of the RPM rooms and it was a mess anyhow, especially on Oschersleben and Valencia.

I find the the whole cockpitview discussion a bit too uptight. It seems as if both sides (or some of the persons on it) desperately try to convince others of there being right.
I usually drive bonnetview. It gives a good overview to the things in front. This weekend I seriously tried driving cockpit and it didn't work out altogether too bad for me after about 20-30 laps. Really it takes time to get used to the ppoint of view having moved slightly to the left and the fact that there's a whole fromework on your screen but if you practise well enough you will at least get close to your bonnetview-times (the difference was only 0.5 on Monza for me).
Of course it is less comfortable and it's harder to see the things ahead (though you see the things besides you better and your real mirriors also decrease you 'dead-angle'), but it is more challenging and more realistic.

On the other hand: it's a bit harsh to call it cheating not to drive cockpitview. Even if everyone has cockpit on, there is a significant amount of things that can be adjusted, even on the 'point of view'-options, which makes it altogether more unrealistic.

I am not against forced cockpits, because I'm willing to accept the challenge. I think that some of you shoudl just try it and then you will notice it's no big deal. I don't hear anyone complain about the forced manual shifting. Why? Because you've taught yourselves to deal with it. I think you should consider cockpitview as your next challenge, though I will not force you too. And please don't cry... I doesn't spoil the fun, it's merely a simple adaptation.
However, I find the motive "every other pro league has forced cockpitview" utter bullshit: Every other pro league is different from ours; nearly every other pro league charges money; nearly every other pro league can only dream of the amount of particiapants we were albe to attract. Let's not focus on every other pro league, please, and do things our own way, based on our own opinions.

• Lars Gerrit Korb

As long as RPM can speak of a large and (more important) steady drivership?
Otherwise it would increase hte need of alternative (without public servers) recruitment.

Personally, I have nothing against closed servers only.

Greetz

• Paweł Surowy

I drove with cockpitview only on Minis Tournament and have to say that though it makes it a little bit more realistic, I didn't have a proper feel of what's going on around me. I do agree that getting used to cockpitview needs practise that I lack of. And I dont't see a problem with having some practise and then switching myself to cockpitview for pro servers.

But: in opposition of what WOOFER said, I hope that we do want to suit everyone, since we are a diverse group of fellows with different needs. I suppose that many of us just can't deal with forced cockpit and therefore making a 'forcing cockpitview tournament' or setting ALL servers on forcing cockpitview is the shittiest thing we possibly could make. I wouldn't expect many participators in such a tournament, one group could be enough.

Is it more fair to force everyone to drive with the same view? Don't believe so.. Everyone has different needs and forcing us to use one view is kind of discrimination (sorry if it sounds too harsh, it isn't meant to).

So dividing servers to pro and arcade might be a fair decision.

@closing public servers: might be a good idea as soon as we are sure that racing club has enough members that servers won't be (almost) empty all the time

I tried to drive with cockpit view, and it surly take alot more practise.
I think that driving in cockpit view needs more power from the computer.
When i drive in cockpit view theres alot of lag/stuttering when there is other cars near me. Maybe its my computer that is short of power.... (i meet the requirements to run the game 2,4cpu, 1,8ram, 256vid.card.)

When there is talking about closing the public server, and just keep the password protected open, maybe there will be hard to recruite new members. Where else will people get to know rpm when they can not driver in public rpm servers?
And where else can we get to know new people and juge if they are allowed to join or not.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back