Pro Server Weekend

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
As you might have noticed already. The RPMnet RACE servers are set on full race weekend distances with changeable weather, forced cockpit view and no automatic gears allowed.
Tested it myself the last two hours and noticed, even in een public room, the rammers stay out and i got fair races with good drivers.
Whats your opinion about it?

good idea

Marko Hartikainen said:
Have to say I'm absolutely stunned by the amount of non cockpit users, never using anything else myself:)

now, there's a good boy ... just my opinion, thx marko.
had a spiffing race right now at brands, 22 drivers at start of race 1, 7 at finish of race 2, hehehe. it certainly keeps the non-committed type away and i appreciate the realism of tires leaving you, little accidents in l1 influencing your handling more and more etc.
keep at least three of those running, but open the race club again, plz.

• Hackett

Warren[RPM];51375 said:
Better / safer view to see and avoid other cars
Better fps on my system
I get sea sick from the rolling of the camera in corners if I use cockpit view (maybe I need to fiddle with options some more)

Maybe "Cheating" is a harsh word to use, but you do get a better advantage of both track and surroundings. So in a "Literal" sense of the word. It is cheating, allowing yourself to deliberately be able to see more than one could normally. (Use the mirrors! ;) )
It also gives you a visual cue on the racing line to turn in and catch the better curve. May not sound like a big deal, but 0.100s here and there over 10 laps can make a big difference to final race position.

On the flip side, increase Field Of View in Options/visuals/Environment. -Personally I set mine to 115% giving a nice balance, and used in combination of the Left/Right view (Bound to my wheel for ease) one can see a good potion of ones immediate surroundings.

The wheel and hands argument is also a little lame. - Sorry! just remove them from inside the options menu, and move your seat as far forward as possible..simple! No!?

Also using bonnet to judge distance from other cars.. Pff! LOL again sorry. experience in driving that close eliminates that need. Just practice.

If you have FPS issues, than I can not say anything, because if that's the only way one can play competitively, then good for you.

If I wanted to drive in an arcade environment. I'd stuck to TRD3 or track mania, or...Anything other than RACE/GTR2 etc!

Like i said, on open public or private servers, each to their own preference, but there is little value in having all these "Fair Drivers" on RPM servers if the overall racing options are not consistent.

You guys all still rock, just my opinion!

Brad.

, but there is little value in having all these "Fair Drivers" on RPM servers if the overall racing options are not consistent.

Brad.

I guess this debate could go on forever, but the consistency argument gets a bit thin when everybody is using different race controllers (keyboards up to very sophisticated wheels and cockpits). I could also go on re internet speeds (lagging) etc but it's pointless. You'll never get total consistency.
Like I said before, I can use either view (but I have a preference) and I'll bet the top guys get similar results with either view.
I play RACE for fun, and I certainly won't "cheat" to finish 7th instead of 15th (or should that be more like 23 instead of 25 in my case).

That's it for me on this topic. :D

• Hackett

Warren[RPM];51412 said:
I guess this debate could go on forever, but the consistency argument gets a bit thin when everybody is using different race controllers (keyboards up to very sophisticated wheels and cockpits). I could also go on re internet speeds (lagging) etc but it's pointless. You'll never get total consistency.
Like I said before, I can use either view (but I have a preference) and I'll bet the top guys get similar results with either view.
I play RACE for fun, and I certainly won't "cheat" to finish 7th instead of 15th (or should that be more like 23 instead of 25 in my case).

That's it for me on this topic. :D

Nothing wrong in debates, and for an example. I am currently building setups for each track, and still trying to find which car best suits my driving style, or lack here of...

So on a whim I ran some tests with driving "Bonnet View" and on all tracks tested, I SMASHED every one of my "Personal Best" times by up-to 5 seconds.
That in it self is nothing spectacular, as I am not a particularly good driver, but it does go one step closer to prove my point.

Brad.

• Lars Gerrit Korb

No cockpitview = cheating?

Sry, Sir, but that is far from being objective.

In real life you have the possibility to move your body (stretch, duck, lean), head/neck (lean, strech, crouch), eyes and all that in combination to get a better view.
All that is missing in virtual simulations or is just touched slightly.
Using 3d-Visors might be an appropriate sollution - but not until anyone could afford periphery of 800 additional bucks.

I'd claim the hood-view is the best compromise.

I think driving bumper/nose view is indeed a bit unrealistic, too.
But i wouldn't dare to claim it's close to cheating.

Greetz

i never saw a real race with 2 steeringwheels and 2 sets of arms infront of me either...
this is a simulation dont mean i have to roleplay as tho i'm ina car... i play it for fun instead :p

i get alot more fun out of the nose view.. and i got the entire view in my monitor to see whats going on instead of this tiny bit of window.....

I disable steering wheel and hands. I adjust my lcd a bit low so my ral wheel is whre it has to be as in a real car. In this position i have the best feeling with the car.

Sure it is fun, but i think it is more fair to race with all the same view. Maybe it's an idea to split a tournament for arcade / fun drivers and simulation drivers. When i race with bonnet cam i am faster and the car is easier to control, but i like it as realistic as possible.

So i really look forward to a simulation tournament, so bonnet drivers, disable wheels and practise with cockpit view. I am sure you will see this is more fun.

There is one con to cockpit view. It costs a lot of FPS.

• Lars Gerrit Korb

I also think that it would lead to players pickin the car with the best
balance between power and inboard view (space of view).

At the end all are driving Seats or Alphas decreasing variety of cars.

As for me, the Peugeot has a real massive A-column/cage blocking the view badly in left turns.

Greetz

Keep on posting peeps.. This is really interesting conversation.

I personally think its good all to have the same "view" Just like the mini's... This is and will stay "forced cockpitview" because it was really good and a lot of fun with the Tournament. :)

:)
I personaly think that you can drive faster if you drive "bonnet view" in stead off "cockpit view".
But practise and it will have results.

ps: i'm going to look at the "increase Field Of View in Options/visuals/Environment" :)

I'm starting to have my doubt's about the direction of this thread. Is it just me, or is the super competitiveness starting to overwhelm us. Between this thread, and the Buddy Race No.2 thread, we are pushing for everybody in the same car, with the same view, all with the supposed aim of eliminating so called advantages.
What's next, we all use G25's, same size monitors, etc?? :rolleyes:
Geez, the fun's starting to leak away.

I know I said I was finished, but Woofer prodded us for more input.
I promise, that's it for me. :D

• Hackett

There is not much anyone can do with the likes of personal rigs/wheels/cockpits/gamepads, etc. There will always be some folks who can afford and or willing to go that extra yard in terms of equipment. (Aye Neo! I am looking at you ;) ) That's just life.

As for Warrens concerns:
Driving/Racing is one of the ultimate expressions of testosterone loaded competitiveness in sports, but I don't see anything out of hand.
We are just throwing around our opinions, nothing more!?

The trouble with web-space forums, is text is an emotionless medium, and unless you know the folks your talking to personally, it can look like a simple bout of dry humour, resembles a personal attack. Or am I off base?

Brad.

I think you all know my opinion about forced cockpit view.

Full Race distances are really a great thing. A lot of time ago I had a 20 laps race in Oschersleben. This took so long and was so great, I had a fight with henY, and finally won :)
Changeable weather is different though. Remember Puebla. Full rain is always possible, this means no fun at all and possible lags. But mixed conditions are really fun, so I support changeable weather.
No Rammers is great! There are less rammers than at the beginning, but still on every second server you see a total idiot.

Free view choice and it's perfect.

We are just throwing around our opinions, nothing more!?
That true and the whole setup off this topic. :)

Changeable weather is fun, but indeed it must not effect the total race, so some cant drive because of SUPER HUGE grafic lagg...

It will always be that some don't like the setting.. We are al different :)
Else it would be a boring Race :)

Warren[RPM];51477 said:
I'm starting to have my doubt's about the direction of this thread. Is it just me, or is the super competitiveness starting to overwhelm us. Between this thread, and the Buddy Race No.2 thread, we are pushing for everybody in the same car, with the same view, all with the supposed aim of eliminating so called advantages.
What's next, we all use G25's, same size monitors, etc?? :rolleyes:
Geez, the fun's starting to leak away.

I know I said I was finished, but Woofer prodded us for more input.
I promise, that's it for me. :D

Using some kind of view does affect the performance a lot, so it is more fair to use one view.

Which hardware we use depends on how much we can or want spend.

Maybe it's an idea to force cockpit view for the fastest group in a tournament, the better you get the more realism you get.

WAKUWAKU[RPM];51458 said:
Maybe it's an idea to split a tournament for arcade / fun drivers and simulation drivers.

OK arcade drivers can use the "forced cockpitview" and the simulation drivers
"Bonnet View" :)

new dictator rules or whats going here ...
had believed that we are the community :)

i think its very personal decision in which view i want drive my car .....
and in the middle of tournament is not gentleman like changing
basic rules i guess ... ;-)

i try sometimes with forced cockpitview in gtr2 .......the result is always the same i need practices practise and practise and practise .... again
so i change immediately because i dont like to start from the last row ...

and realistic here realistic there .. in first i drive for fun thats the reason why i am here ... or someone will give me a american black card when i win the championchips :)

• TEAM SWE (Ante)

Hi boys! I thought that everybody drived cockpit wiew? Its that way you drive a normal car and this game is a simulator,, The only thing is that its harder in race situations when its close,, a little problem is that the blind spots is quite big in cockpit weiw,, but its real racing and i think everbody should learn to drive that way! I will always drive that way. Ok only my opinion! Bye and se you on track.

nah i don't think driving using force cockpit is the right way to go.....

i've tested 2day the rpm publics @ monza.....& i was putting almost the same average time in cockpit view as with (bonnet ?) roof view.....
but with the cockpit view i never got confy with it.......so that's why it's not the right thing to do with forced cockpit....
i know it may keep rammers away.....but still i don't think it will.....mostly rammers have 1 purpose.....ram you off & then leave...sad but true lol :(

& Warren
i understand you're point of view
but i don't think you get the concept of the whole buddy race
(i think offtopic from this point till last sentence :) )
normally for buddy race (or independence race) is a rule in progress to select a car which normally many (& i mean) many people won't use in the tournament because they're not fast enough....that's why a ban on the popular cars like leon, e90, chevy, hondas & latest alfa's.....it's not about eliminating advantages but more about having fun & showing some skills of yours in a new untested car.......& i did have some really great fun in those untested cars & i don't think i'm the only one.........that's why many of us joined in those races ;)

i think Ante said it right for what i believe for why i don't use cockpit view....i do get big blind spot in cockpit......i don't get the feel for where the cars are around me.....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back