Physics right or wrong?

Disclaimer:
First of all please don't make that a fanboy discussion. I always try to be objective and leave my personal preferences out of the way. I am always willing to accept, if something I don't like on emotional basis, is better than what I like on emotional basis.

Ok I hope I covered that part and this won't get into a "You are a fanboy of this and that thread".

Prequal:
Like most people I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa. I read about all the licensed content, loved the screenshots and everything. I didn't drive the tech preview, because I didn't want to get a false impression, because it was all still WIP. The day AC was released on Steam I bought it.
I started really testing it after the first update were the FFB was fixed.

I do really like the game and wanted it to be good and so far my only issue are the physics. Most people praise them and they get a lot of love and I do confess, that in external videos they look great.
The car dives in on the braking, you see all the weight transfer and everything. No other sim offers that!

Example:
But as soon as I drive it, it feels just so wrong to me. Just one example: I tested the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza. I know the track very well and usually drive GT cars, so a perfect combination for me.
Despite all the massive understeer you get everywhere in AC even with setup tweaks, I wanted to point out something you can judge on a much more objective level. So I will talk about the braking distance.

Every racer knows how hard the first braking zone in Monza is. You have a low downforce car and arrive at 260+ kph and have to break down to 60-80kph. So if you look at a lot of GT3 onboards on youtube even with cars, that do have ABS and are a bit restricted due to BOP. They all break before the 200meter board.
That said, I can brake at the 300meter (270kph) board and have the car at a total stand still at 150meters. If I brake for the corner I can brake at or after the 150 meter board.
So we already have a 25% shorter braking zone compared to a real life car with equal or less power and ABS, which I didn't use.

Test conditions:
So now people would start arguing, that I maybe run more downforce and stuff and that is the weirdest thing. I tried to figure out the "worst" braking performance. I used hard tyres and removed all the downforce from the car for this test.

I don't want to get to much into the details of the cornering behaviour and the understeer and that you can just pull on tons of lock and don't get any turn-in oversteer.

Is my opinion qualified?!:
A lot of simracers don't have a lot of reallife experience and I didn't race a GT3 car in my life, but just a quick background:

I drove Race07, rFactor1 and now rFactor2 and I am a pretty good driver in rF2 especially in rear wheel drive touring or GT cars. Even in the new Civic I was racing for wins after 30mins on an unkonw track, so I can quickly adapt to new cars and tracks etc.

In my free time I did some kart races with friends and even on an unkown track with for me unkonw more powerful karts than the average rental karts on a bit cold track I got within 1,9 seconds of the track record within 15min and reduced it to 1,5 seconds in a further 15min.
Keeping in mind that real professional Kart drivers practice their and I had maybe 2 or 3 hours track time in karts ever, I would say I am not a bad driver.

So when I jump out of rF2 into a kart it just feels like home. I apply nearly the same technique and everything. When I jump into AC it all feels wrong. It is so hard to get wheelspin. You can turn the wheel so much, that you would end up in a wall in real life.

I also spoke to some guys with actual racing experience and they got the same feeling.

The end:
I really wanted AC to be a very good sim and I do love everything about it, but these physics keep me from driving it.
In a sim I don't want it to be easy, I want it to be as realistic as possible, but in AC you can apply some really bad driving technique to get quicker laptimes.

They did netcar pro and ferrari virtual academy so there was high expectations you could say that, i do not know if people were running around saying it would be the best ever because of those, but netcar pro was and still is very highly reguarded as to its whole driving model.

@Frederic Schornstein ..I think you carry a lot of credibility and I know of another individual within our camp who has drive real gt cars. He too says ac is lacking realism. However, I think because he graphics are so nice and the cars are very drivable...forgiving and so on, people will look beyond the faults of ac and just welcome it. For me, rfactor 2 has the best physics and due to the tyre model, it is by far the best option for endurance races and serious competitions at the moment - unless ac develops a similar model. If it can do that, perhaps people will be forced to drive the car properly and with care. That wouldn't cure all the issues you've mentioned but might make things closer. I enjoy both games for different reasons at the moment but I will keep being patient with ac until i see how it performs in races, multiplayer , career etc. what saddens me is that I've always wanted to learn proper sims so I can get closer to reality...living the dream. However, it seems there are a lack of people who want the same as we've seen with dwindling rfactor 2 racing club event turnouts. Because of its graphics and pick up and play appeal, I think in ac we wil see much fuller grids.

Edit: I haven't driven real life gt cars. However, the braking is massively different to anything ...

Can you link to the GT Driver please who says its not real? I know KS has had 2 separate GT drivers in who say its very realistic, right down to the twitching of the read on the 458 GT2 on corner exit and braking.

Why would anybody have anything good to say before AC came out? Kunos had never released a sim prior to AC that was widely regarded as having the best tire model in the business did he?
It is understandable that people were excited...but there were a number of people who were stating that the sim would be amazing before playing it.optimism and "knowing" are different things are they not? People are entitled to opinions so no issue with that. However, I tend to side with objective views rather than blind optimism

Can you link to the GT Driver please who says its not real? I know KS has had 2 separate GT drivers in who say its very realistic, right down to the twitching of the read on the 458 GT2 on corner exit and braking.
The reason I haven't linked the driver is because I've already seen myself that giving an opinion that goes against ac gets multiple dislikes and heated debate. It is not my place to bring someone into the debate just to support me. The thread was created by Freddy who has already spoken to the nameless person..he wanted to invite others who have similar experiences. The irony is, I like ac, I own it, I play it. I think there is so much good to it. However, if people didn't question , the world would not have evolved like it has.

The reason I haven't linked the driver is because I've already seen myself that giving an opinion that goes against ac gets multiple dislikes and heated debate. It is not my place to bring someone into the debate just to support me. The thread was created by Freddy who has already spoken to the nameless person..he wanted to invite others who have similar experiences. The irony is, I like ac, I own it, I play it. I think there is so much good to it. However, if people didn't question , the world would not have evolved like it has.

Im sorry im only looking for a little clarification on the GT driver who said its wrong, when so many have said it feels right, Of course if you dont want to post thats fine.

Edit - Very mature going through all my past posts and disagreeing, just because i disagreed to one of yours.

It is understandable that people were excited...but there were a number of people who were stating that the sim would be amazing before playing it.optimism and "knowing" are different things are they not? People are entitled to opinions so no issue with that. However, I tend to side with objective views rather than blind optimism
Many of us have been given the opportunity to try the game way before release during various exhibitions such Gamescom, so I am not surprised that those who did get a try before release were excited. I was since the first moment I tried it.

I'll just post them again, as Andrew is obviously very selective in his reading, and on top of that can not back up a claim he states. Debate about AC is good, and criticism is essential for any product to get better, but if you claim that several Gt drivers feel that AC is unrealistic, you have to give us the quote, or retract your statement.

- AristotelisVasilakos ‏@Aristotelis16 november
Nick Catsburg drives #assettocorsa : " I like the, almost impossible to save, second oversteer, same in real life"

Nick Catsburg drives #assettocorsa "I like the little oversteer you get under brakes once in ABS"

For your record, Nick Catsburg drives the Z4 in real life in the Blancpain Endurance Championship:http://www.nickcatsburg.nl/

Alessandro Balzan (drives 458GT in different series) also had a go at Assetto Corsa:

Alessandro Balzan ‏@BalzanAle28 augustus
Just finished to test @AC_assettocorsa I never never had a feeling of tyres and car like that. Later I will write all impression!#shockreal!

@@JesperGB @assettocorsa that is the part that I was talking, you can oversteer and manage it, sure losing time. You will see believe me!

Alessandro Balzan ‏@BalzanAle29 augustus
@@JesperGB @assettocorsa driving real racing cars for a racing driver is quite easy. Reaching the limit is hard. This is @AC_assettocorsa.

Further impressions of Alessandro are found here: http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-allesandro-balzan-test-reporthttp://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-allesandro-balzan-test-report

Many of us have been given the opportunity to try the game way before release during various exhibitions such Gamescom, so I am not surprised that those who did get a try before release were excited. I was since the first moment I tried it.
My post wasn't directed at you. Your post explains a couple of views which I appreciate. I don't believe all of those who were defensive had the game beforehand
See post 39 in this thread, Requiem84 has listed them.
but kunos would be silly to quote drivers who don't like the physics...

So first you say that you haven't read about drivers stating that AC is realistic, and when we show you about these GT drivers who think AC is on the mark, you come up with that... kind of easy eh?

I'm really curious which GT drivers you were talking about....

I'll just post them again, as Andrew is obviously very selective in his reading, and on top of that can not back up a claim he states. Debate about AC is good, and criticism is essential for any product to get better, but if you claim that several Gt drivers feel that AC is unrealistic, you have to give us the quote, or retract your statement.

Nick Catsburg drives #assettocorsa : " I like the, almost impossible to save, second oversteer, same in real life"

Nick Catsburg drives #assettocorsa "I like the little oversteer you get under brakes once in ABS"

For your record, Nick Catsburg drives the Z4 in real life in the Blancpain Endurance Championship:http://www.nickcatsburg.nl/

Alessandro Balzan (drives 458GT in different series) also had a go at Assetto Corsa:

Just finished to test @AC_assettocorsa I never never had a feeling of tyres and car like that. Later I will write all impression!#shockreal!

@@JesperGB @assettocorsa that is the part that I was talking, you can oversteer and manage it, sure losing time. You will see believe me!

Alessandro Balzan ‏@BalzanAle29 augustus
@@JesperGB @assettocorsa driving real racing cars for a racing driver is quite easy. Reaching the limit is hard. This is @AC_assettocorsa.

Further impressions of Alessandro are found here: http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-allesandro-balzan-test-reporthttp://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-allesandro-balzan-test-report

If you think that these guys and Simon are fanboys, please hit "dislike":thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Andrew Ford ....my dear neighbor from this community,whats your problem with everyones post....disagree for the sake of it...or you have a sticky finger...and why you yell at us?

EDIT* Ok it seems Mr Andrew is on a "disagree"spree over the old posts,of mine at least,without a reason and that means "Ignore" for him...

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea