General Paid mods post your opinion

Pro Paid Mods here as long as they are 100% scratch build and free from copyrights. Imo it's the only way to bring modding creativity back.

The plan has been on the back-burner for a while to facilitate it here on RD and would be more than happy to discuss details with a few interested groups or individuals. Get in touch I'd say.
Should we send you pm, which is way of communication you prefer?

This thread isn`t senseless the discussion about paid mods and all the problems related to them is more than necessary.
We can close our eyes - but some not far away day reality will knock on our door. And the message we´re gonna get is not of the friendly kind.

The EC and the EP have made declarations about copyrights (desgins are part of the copyright too)that aren`t funny. They are fed up, especially when internet distrbiution is involved. We all know what will follow: strict laws and regulations. They are working on it, and the big industries and copyright holders lobby workers doing their job quite well - not in favour of free use as you know by yourself.

Paid mods without permission and payment of the repective owners are just the ammunition they need, to reach their final goals. Ever thougt of this fact?

In need of informations? just take look at EC`s hompage, go for laws and regulations- and you will be very unhappy about the coming future...

But, of course, we are free to close our eyes, but i won´t help us.
I don't think the topic of this thread is pointless, just the direction the comments are heading

Maybe a good idea to have a review section? So when a commercial developer releases a product he can send RD a copy for review purposes. Would be good for everybody.
I personally would love to read well and professionally written reviews of addon software for AC.
Also very nice for new players so they know what's good and what to avoid.
And it would keep the modders thread clean for what it was meant to be, a modders thread.

Let´s gather some ideas to send to Bram.

First of all it is the point who is responsible for getting all the permissions when copyrights are affected. The people selling a paid mod here, are have to take the full responsibility for their content and the copyright related issiues. I.o to protect RD and the customers from prosecution by angry copyrights owners.

Good point, a seperated section for paid mods and reviews about them, would prevent us from trouble and differences in future.:thumbsup: And is good for new members as you said. Paid things, with having an own section should be kept of from the non comercial parts.

Let´s gather some ideas to send to Bram.
Oh please don't let me derail the thread. Framework is already there and we don't need more ideas at this point really. It's actually pretty straight forward and easy to implement but for sure some people will not like it so no need to have a huge long debate about it. Don't like it, don't use it :).

In a nutshell with regards to do's and dont's. You can't convert an ancient old track, modify the objects and sell it as a paid mod to the community for 15 euros. You can't create a F1 201x car 100% from scratch and sell it due to copyrights. You can't include other peoples work and sell it etc etc etc.

Our philosophy is that the work of real modders needs to be compensated in some form with tiny micro-transactions however this needs to be done with cents instead of euros or dollars. Many cents make a euro and eventually this will lead to much more than most modders are getting now. Many use a paypal button but we all know how that goes. Somebody puts in hundreds of hours of work in creating something awesome and he then is compensated with exactly 1.6 cups of coffee.

And of course if people still wish to create freeware mods, by all means go for it as that is the essence of modding still.

I think with the complexity of games now, amount of detail being thrown at tracks and cars it become really hard to do come up with quality content without devoting massive amounts of free time.

Paid mods and free mods can co-exist and if someone chooses to go either root its ultimately their decision.

I will support both, just hope that it keeps this community going forward and more talented modders interested in creating paid or free content in future.

Good to see what´s on the way. Needs to be regulated and transparency is always good. Good example is steam workshop, commercial content and free content for a game existing side by side. But they are seperated.

By the way, does somebody has the information if the US/Can Goverment are going the same way like the EC?

Just to add some information, when it comes to copyright stuff it doesn't matter whether the mod is free or not... so I don't really see the point of this thread, sorry. Many free mods have been taken away in the past due to copyright claims (see for example the Ferrari F300 and the Ferrari F1 Concept from VS, and I know what I say because I still have the letter that Ferrari sent).

Just to add some information, when it comes to copyright stuff it doesn't matter whether the mod is free or not... so I don't really see the point of this thread, sorry. Many free mods have been taken away in the past due to copyright claims (see for example the Ferrari F300 and the Ferrari F1 Concept from VS, and I know what I say because I still have the letter that Ferrari sent).
People are poorly informed man , specially on these forums ,
they honestly believe if they make a mm perfect car replica with branding say a bmw touring for example ,
and give it away for free there is no copyright ,
simply not the case at all , freeware or payware , copyright is copyright which ever way you look at it .

Of course this thread makes no sense, is just a rant from Kanti being angered because he found out a car he really likes is going to cost 2 o 3 bucks, what a shame.

If any legal actions against mods are taken in the future it will affect free and paid mods, doesn't matter what we do.

The difference is that with a free mod you have no monetary benefit - the company's not losing out on any potential profit but is perhaps gaining unwanted attention (which is why certain mods have been shut down in the past... obviously that's very infrequent). With paid mods you are directly profiting from the intellectual property of an entity who's not being compensated. Even with doing what URD and RSS do you're not much better off; the likeness of the car still remains and you're still profiting from it. You can go on and on about the copyright infringement of free mods being on an equal level, but it's not, and it will not be treated the same way in a courtroom.

That's my only gripe with paid mods. If you're going to do it, do it correctly and pay for a license. Provided the company you're licensing from is professional in their department, it will benefit both sides.

Absolute right :thumbsup: But I think it will create more attention when it comes to money.
Just my opinion. It have to be not the truth :)

I don't think it's fuelled by bitterness (at least, not from me). It is more sadness and disappointment that a few people appear to be 'hijacking' what essentially is a fun hobby for their own financial gain.

If a car is commissioned and you make it, great, sell it, make money. If no-one asks you to make it then you shouldn't ask to be paid. No-one is forcing you to make it, in the same some people say 'no-one is forcing you to buy it'.

I will never support commercial mods, and I will never charge for mine. This should primarily be about fun, not cash. If it is moving in that direction then I for one will not be following for much longer :(

I don't think it's fuelled by bitterness (at least, not from me). It is more sadness and disappointment that a few people appear to be 'hijacking' what essentially is a fun hobby for their own financial gain.

If a car is commissioned and you make it, great, sell it, make money. If no-one asks you to make it then you shouldn't ask to be paid. No-one is forcing you to make it, in the same some people say 'no-one is forcing you to buy it'.

I will never support commercial mods, and I will never charge for mine. This should primarily be about fun, not cash. If it is moving in that direction then I for one will not be following for much longer :(
Thank You :thumbsup:

If it is moving in that direction then I for one will not be following for much longer :(
Sadly every discussion about this I've come across over quite a few years has had this result. Whatever side of the fence you sit on it's always cost the community the loss of some talented creators:(

Honestly I read the exact same arguments back in 2012 or 2013 when URD started the "payware modding" debate, saying that it was going to be the end of modding etc and nothing changed at all.

You can look anywhere you want online regarding GTA ,
All there cars are copies , with over 97% resemblance to there real counterparts ,
They have zero licenses at all ,
They simply create close replicas with no branding and no logos n such ,
If a billion dollar a year business is doing this like many other games and games in the past there is simply no issues with it ,
As @David Dominguez was saying this discussion on car forums as been going on for many a year , 2012-2013 and still will be going on in 2022 ,

Personally I am a 3D artist simply love making cars for racing games , its my main passion ,
so its either simply make a living making content , or simply make 3D cars and sell them online ,
but the community would be loosing out ,

No one if forcing anyone to pay for mods , its simply a free choice like freeware is ,
but either way you look at it freeware or payware everything as some kind of copyright at a certain level ,

Take EA Sports for example , they make perfect replica guns and have done in all there games forever ,
and they simply change the name ,
They have never once paid anyone for a gun license in any single title they have released ,
same as SMS / GTA / and many many other companies the list is endless .

Honestly I read the exact same arguments back in 2012 or 2013 when URD started the "payware modding" debate, saying that it was going to be the end of modding etc and nothing changed at all.

If anything, we (as a community) are getting higher quality content in the end, even if it means paying a couple of bucks for it. Of course some people will disagree, that's only natural on any community that evolves to something different.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back