Opel 1900 GT / Opel Kadett @ Castle Combe Chicane - Tuesday Aug 10th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyergtc76.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Race1: Opel 1900 GT / Race2: Opel Kadett (Both versions of the Kadett may be used)
Track: Castle Combe Chicane
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 22 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins included with mods only.

My Setups:

Attachments

• CD1900GT.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 243
  • CDKadett.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 247
Race 1: Got off to a good start and gained one position. After a few corners the car in front hit one of the small poles in the chicane and I couldn't avoid him. Damaged the suspension and spun. I don't remember much after this but the car was good fun.

Race 2: Had a good start and sneaked past Dariusz. The next laps were really good, concentrating hard to keep up with Ralf and Dariusz. After some laps there was a car that spun in front of me and I backed off and took a wide line around him. But I managed to get the left rear wheel slightly on the grass and spun. The final laps were very good though, with close and clean racing with Bob. Good stuff.

EDIT: Forgot to say I had a freeze about 100 m from the checkered flag:D Hope it didn't ruin your finish Bob and Eck...

Thanks for the event Carlos. Great cars:good:

Race 2:
Qualied 7th, this time missed the start (ehh), then hit somebody who was spinning ahead me. Got heavy damage, my steering was decentered, pulling constantly to the right. Went in to pits for repair, got 2 laps from the whole field. Rejoined, but couldn't do anything, my pace wasn't that good, and I spun a several times. Finished 15th as some people dropped out.

Had so much fun in the first race, even though I was off the track more times than I can count. I was even in the top 10 for a brief time, I think. People going off, gaining places, going off myself, losing places... Chaos. Fun :D. Connection lost. Sad :(.

Race 2, a better result, but the car wasn't as fun as the 1900 GT. Didn't have many problems at the start, so got up to 10th.
Bob (Miley) was behind me at one point, and I had a moment, swerved, he had to brake. I moved over a bit when I got it back under control, sorry about that.

Had a stunt driving style moment later in the race, video coming up in a few minutes :D.

No probs for me Knut, just took a wider line as I had time to see you stationary. Took 5th in the end which should have been yours, also gutted you lost connection just meters from the finishing line. Anyways, thanks for the mention in your post & nice driving from you also mate.

I finished the first race which is a challenge at my level, but in R2 I wiped out on the first right dogleg just after the start ( following the pack too close to have good vision) and developed self-inflicted wounds...:frown:continued a lap and a half with a flat tire, for some unknown reason. Decided to crawled to the pits, returned only to do damage again and another pitstop. The field was now so spread out that I was a hazard trying to rejoin the track so I just DNF. It was a chance to experience using the pitstop in a race. Still fun to be part of the events. Cheers to all, special thanks the organizer Carlos and fellow helpful racers.

I wake up in the middle of the night full of sweat recalling my podium finish and then I realize ....it was all a dream.:frown:

R1: I already tried the 'little Vette' on a previous Club event. It wasn't my favourite car back then and unfortunately after this race it hasn't changed. The fact that it looks so good made it bearable to drive it ;) as I was +3 seconds off pace. Also in the Q I crossed the finish line backwards after a silly but serious spin in the final corner making me start at the back.
The opening laps were pretty crowded at the back of the pack and a lot of dust was thrown in the air.
One of the best moments was when Steven was chasing me (you really shouldn't have stopped for me, you were back on the track and had all rights to defend your position imho) Steven was driving so close to my 'sexy back' that I drove a whopping 1.08.1 while constantly staring in my rear view mirror :) Also I made a gigantic drift in the final corner from which I'm still amazed I was able to recover. (I should submit this one in the screenshot competition)
From lap 17/18 I was thinking of safely guiding the GT home, but hit the barriers pretty hard in the final corners: I never drove such a damaged car before. I was unable to keep it straight at 50kmph :p The pitcrew did a 'fantastic' job in 125 seconds so I only had to complete 1 or 2 more laps. Even in these final meters I modded the beautifull carrozeria :frown: Finished dead last, but I finished!

R2: I was getting tired, but really wanted to honour my old Kadett E-type 1.6l Sport. The Kadett felt more comfortable then the GT, but still it can be a handful. I must make a comment on the gorgeous tyre-sounds! Why don't all GTL-tyres sound like this?
In the first lap I got pushed to the outside of the chicane making me part of the 'narrowed' chicane when the cars behind had to pass. Fine moments when chasing Steven and at the end battling with Hans.

I had a nice evening, but I'm not really in love with this track. I can't say an exact reason, the chicanes may be one of them. Issues with the track's textures might be another.
On the cars I can be brief: when's the next vs events with these Opels? Looking at my best laptimes for Castle (here) there's little difference between the 2: CastleTimes.jpg

See you guys next time.
Thx Carlos & Stuart & RD & all participants (feeling very thankful atm :))

Kris I thought it was only fair having just recovered from an accident very much like in Senads video ( although I didn't recover, I done a full on roll and slide and everything :)

I was a lot slower going through that second chichane, and you were hammering though, so best to let you go then find a way to pass safely, which took a few laps of good fair racing. :) It was fun.

In the immortal words of Talking Heads, "same as it ever was"

Good race in the GT1900, finishing a higher than expected 5th.

Not so hot in the recalcitrant Kadett, a decent fight with Bob, in fact both the Bobs, for quite a few laps followed by a next to last lap system freeze and disconnect, which is what happened last time we drove it.

Complete stinker of a night for me, summarized by three words: spin, spin, spin.

It was a shame really, as I got a great start in both races. In R1 I was P3 by the end of lap 1, then spun under pressure, and ended the race with a Stop n Go :(

Race 2, and another stonking start, ended by another spin, followed by 4 spins in 3 laps, all caused by me pushing much too hard. Ended in a rage quit I'm afraid :(

If I ever get over this frantic desire to find an extra 1/10th at every corner, I might start being a competitive midfield racer.

R1: Full chaos and lots of fun :)
Start went good but in one of chicanes I made mistake must slow down, unfortunately some red Opel didn't noticed it sending me to the grass. After recovery i tried to fight as hard as I could, but it showed up sometimes too hard. my apologies goes to Jack who was pushed by me into the wall at approach to T1 - sorry Jack. Then someone - I think it was Knut who send me again to grass but he waited so no problem there. Then I pushed down to the finish.

R2: All went wrong at straight toward T1 three cars - one spinning on the grass which caused a little mess. Then i climbed the order following Steven using some others misfortunes, finishing 8th.

THX Carlos - I really do like both of the Opels and I look forward to next events with these cars!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back