Old Skin Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the question is simple but the answer is far from that...
For the most easy access and realistic renders you will need 3DS Max with the Brazil render plugin or the Vray render plugin. Most render scenes are ready made for Brazil but the program has some limitations because of the fact that it is a trial version. For a very comprehensive start up guide check here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/3d-max-you.2042/ For the most realistic renders Vray should be your choice of software, but whether you choose Brazil or Vray you will need a lot of knowledge about scene setup, lighting setup, materials etc. And as a person who renders a lot I can tell you it can take years before you get to the desired result easily. Offcourse there is another option and that is to have someone like me do the renders for you. I have all the Race series scenes ready to go so for me it is just a matter of changing the skin and render it.If you want me to do some stuff for you just send me an email: mcaa666@hotmail.com If you want to do it yourself I wish you good luck and if you have questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the answer!

I made skins, in a while i gonna show it here in RD.
For everything, Rfactor, Race, iRacing. And to learn a bit more i want to start doing renders. I know its not easy, but will give me more knowledge. For now i work only on Photoshop.

Later i will post my work here and to do that i would like to know render a car!

Thanks again, i will contact you!

Hi, does anybody know where i can get a wheel template for a BMW 320i STCC/2007/2006?
Not sure if it even has one.

Im working on a skin for Race 07 and want to change the wheel colour to black, but cant find out how to do it.
I was hoping their was a wheel template i could colour Black and add it to the skin folder but after a lot of searching im not really getting anywhere with it.

The question 'can i change my wheel colour' comes up a lot on various forums but i cant seem to find an answer for the BMW. Im assuming i can change it as some of the default BMW's have Black wheels, but i cant seem to be able to find them on my PC to check the .ini file etc.

Anybody know a way of changing the wheel colour?

The wheel im after is 'Genstring 10' but not really sure where to go from there :whistling:

I know its a bit of a tedious question so any help at all would be appreciated
Cheers

Hi, your in luck...one of the cars you are skinning does have the option of changing the wheelcolor through the skin ini file. The STCC version of the BMW has that option. Here's how...
If you open the template.txt file which is located in Documents\Simbin\RACE07\CustomSkins you can view all the ini text lines for all the cars. Looking at the BMW 320si E90 STCC you will see the following lines:
body=
windows=
interiorwindow=
numberplate=
driver=
ext_driver=
helmet=
wheelcolor=
The wheelcolor parameter usually has 3 options but it's a bit of work to determine which option is what color...
Valid parameters are wheelcolor=1, wheelcolor=2 and wheelcolor=3 with each number representing a color.
Simply try each setting to determine the correct number/ color combo.
After checking the BMW E90 line (the WTCC06 and 07 car) in the template.txt file it is appearant that these cars do not have the option of changing wheelcolors. That offers a problem for you because it would be possible to change it trough a different colored texture but it will only work in a standalone mod. Which is not advisable because of the work that has to go in it,

Great! Thanks for the reply Marcel, very helpful.

The only thing is, when i look in the template.txt file, the only options for BMW's with wheelcolor parameters are:

[BMW M3 e92]
[BMW Z4 GTR]
[BMW M3 GTR]
[BMW 320w1 E90]

Im not sure what the last one is? Maybe thats the E90 STCC??
I have [BMW 320si STCC2] but cant change the color on that model either.

I added to my .ini for the STCC2 the line: 'wheelcolor=' and tried 1,2 & 3 but nothing changed

Brand New Skin by SVP Skins

2h7j791.jpg

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?70p3npsleoe966q

Hello,

I am new to skinning (and to the Simbin series aswell) and I have some problem.
I tried to make a Löfbergs (a coffee brand) livery for fun but when I converted the .psd into .dds the colors got screwed up. It looks like a too compressed JPEG :(

I never had this problem before, and this is my 20th something skin. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

The attachments shows how the skins look as .psd and as .dds.

before_dds.PNGafter_dds.PNG
If it matters; I use paint.NET for editing the skins.
/Andreas

im new to skin making aswell but since the file size of your DDS file is only 78kb, which is the kind of size i got when i used the wrong compression type for DDS that you didnt set the compression type
When you are saving the DDS file there are different compression types you have to use for each different part of the skin
For body use DXT1 and tick the tickxbox for mipmaps
For windows interior use DXT5 and leave the tickbox empty for mipmaps
For windows use DXT5 with mipmaps tickbox ticked
The filesize for body should then be higher (between 1-2MB) and wont lose any quality

Also try using GIMP its another free to use image editor :D, thats what i have used for my first two skins i have made, no need to download a DDS plugin for it as it can save DDS files as standard.
When you save a DDS in GIMP you get this menu.
KUnm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play