Old RACE 07 Articles (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
spa..jpg

Due to absence of drivers we have some free slots in the RD Touring Car Championship!

If you are a racing enthusiast and would love to battle with the best touring car drivers in SimBin's RACE On, then this is your chance to participate in the world's biggest RACE On league here at RaceDepartment and you will be on track starting this Sunday night during the second round of the championship at Spa-Francorchamps!

There are a few slots left, and all interested licensed members can sign up

Click this link to visit the RDTCC forum.

Please make sure you have read the format before you sign-up

Late night racing is set to make a comeback to the racing club with the 'After Hours Club' nights, the first of which will be held next week on Monday 31st May.

Official practice sessions will begin at 21:00 GMT, 2 hours later than usual to cater for users who cannot make it to events starting at the usual time. The format for these events is open so expect to see a range of cars and tracks over the coming weeks for your racing pleasure.

The first event will be the Caterham CSR200 at the twisting and turning Knutstorp, Sweden. A combination sure to bring with it thrills and spills.

Event signup and information can be found here -> http://www.racedepartment.com/europ...-csr200-kuntstorp-monday-31st-may-2010-a.html

A discussion thread centered around Monday night racing can be found here -> http://www.racedepartment.com/race-series/32186-monday-night-racing-what-would-u-like-see.html

aston.jpgThis past weekend marked the opening of the RaceDepartment GT1 World Championship. The series spans four races over one month, one round every Sunday. Week one saw the championship coincide with the FIA GT1’s round at Brno, which allowed virtual racers to not only watch some great GT1 action, but to also get on the ‘virtual’ track to mix it up a bit themselves. On the virtual side of things—which, let’s be fair, is what us sim-racers care about the most—drivers competed in an intense test of both patients and skill. Here on the GT Blog, we’ll take a closer look at the action.

Going into the weekend, odds makers had an easy time choosing the favorite, and that was anything associated with Aston Martin. The Martin team not only had what many consider the superior car for Brno, but they housed a driver lineup that made even the most seasoned sim-racers shudder. Leading Aston Martin’s team of speedsters was none other then superstar driver, Marcin Skrzypczak. In practice Marcin showed just why he’s feared as he was over 2 seconds clear of any other driver, and in qualifying it was much of the same, as he took pole in a walk.
A surprise performance in quali was just how well the Corvettes placed. Christopher Aponte along with ‘car-mate’ James Johnson took up 2 podium spots, taking the fight to Aston Martin early. Unfortunately, the last of the Vettes clocked in on P20, which left Corvette supporters leaving something to be desired.

A little further down the grid it was team Lister that surprised the crowd at Brno, clocking in two machines for top ten slots. It would appear that the cobination of David Garcia, Martin Vrba and Xose Estrada work well together, and it paid off big time for the Lister Storm organization, which had this to say after watching the quali effort. “We’re absolutely thrilled. Those lads killed it out there. We knew we picked the right men for the job, and they proved it today.”

Other notes from qualifying were Dodges’ grand effort to also get two of their cars inside the top ten, despite the car not being particularly fast at Brno, a circuit known for its long, sweeping corners and not so long straights.
Moving onto the race, it was Mr. Speed, Marcin Skrzypczak, who easily walked away with the contest, lapping all but four cars. Meanwhile it was Corvette’s woes that took major attention during round one. James Johnson and Christopher Aponte finished 3rd and 9th, respectively. But that result is a far cry from their 2nd and 3rd quali effort. In fact, Johnson had to make a rather remarkable recovery drive to regain his 3rd spot, falling out of the top 10 running order at one point.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the weekend was Hugo Hekkenberg, the only driver to have any major success in the Gampert Apollo. The Netherlands’ driver qualified on p15, but during the race was able to take the Gampert all the way to 5th. Gampert Apollo were to the moon with the result, and had this to say following the race. “With a week filled of mediocrity by us, we are very happy to have a star performance for our side.”

Audi also put in a good day at the track, getting a car inside the top 5, driven by none other then the Polish man with the hardest name to say, but not so difficult to cut and paste, Krzysztof Babij. Babij led a charge by Audi to put them inside the top 3 in the manufacturers’ cup, and thus right inside the title chase. After a great performance in RDGTC in season one, odds makers pegged Audi as one of the favorites going into the manufacturers’ cup, and this first round result surely doesn’t disappoint.

Losers over the weekend were obviously Saleen. The American based manufacturer put together a very solid lineup of drivers, led by Bram Hengeveld, who ran the fastest Saleen times throughout the week. Still, Saleen couldn’t quite seal the deal during the race, as Bram finished on p10, earning the manufacturer their only significant points for the weekend. The manufacturer’s #2 driver, Yoeri Gijsen, also put in a nice effort, but unfortunately for Saleen, it wasn’t enough to get them cleared of 7th place in the manufacurers’ cup. This has led Saleen supporters to already cast doubts on not only the Saleen drivers, but also the car itself. Does it have the grit to finish a race strong? And can young driver Freddie Besems put in a good enough result to bolt Saleen up the order? Time will only tell.

Finally there is Koenigsegg and their lackluster performance. Spectators were absolutely baffled by ‘the eggs’ inability to factor into the contest. In fact, Koenigsegg put in such a nonchalant effort, that their highest placed car finished on p16, driven by race veteran Neil Gault, who was followed closely by car-mate Yves Larose. Koenigsegg’s P.R. man made a terse, ominous statement to the media following the disastrous opening leg of the championship. “Heads will roll if this doesn’t turn around. Heads will roll!”

Next weekend the series stops over at Belgium for its second leg, hosted on none other than the legendary Spa Francorchamps GP. With the championship still in its early stages, manufacturers still have time to turn their operation around, and for those who had a good round one, now is the time to put the hammer down. Some of the main questions focus on the Lister and its ability to duplicate its performance from last round. And can Corvette keep their noses clean for 60 minutes and put in a result good enough to overtake Aston Martin. One is only left to wonder until the flag drops and the racers get racing this Sunday at Spa. What we can leave you with is the current team and driver standings after round one.

That’s all for the GT Pro blog for now, but don’t forget to check in for special team updates, driver interviews, and, of course, more weekend reports. Happy racing!

Marcin Skrzypczak

Hannu Karesola

James Johnson

Krzysztof Babij

Hugo Hekkenberg

Fernando de Almeida

Martin Vrba

Danny Asbury

Christopher Aponte

Bram Hengeveld

James Chesters

Yoeri Gijsen

Remco de Wildt

Marcel vd Aa

David Garcia

Neil Gault

Yves Larose

Xosé Estrada

Michael van Scheppingen

Eckhart von Glan

Dave Stephenson

Hansi Josefsson

Freddie Besems

Chris Sykes

article-1183404-04E99EAB000005DC-795_468x286.jpg
When it comes to the harsh world of sim-racing, the word ‘team’ is loosely applied. Often times it’s simply a term used for a group of guys with nothing in common but the same livery--and in American Nascar, they don’t even share that. Reality is, motorsport is quite unique in the fact that the ‘team’ could lose, but a driver on that team could win. It turns this motorsport business into a dog-eat-dog world, where it’s not about team, but the individual driver. That being said, the RD GT1 blog will take a close look at each of the championship’s 8 manufacturers, and examine them to find out if they house just a collection of drivers, or if team is the center of their operation. Today, we’ll take a look at Lister Racing.

David Garcia and Xose' Estrada are two normal guys. You know, the type that speak multiple languages as fluently as Schumi through a chicane and have no problems pumping a grand touring beast 150 plus mph down a straight. That type of normal. As these bilingual Spaniards were hard at work deep in the garages of Spa Francoshamps—the site of this weekend’s RD GT1 championship—we pulled them aside for an interview. Luckily for us, they happily obliged.
After we all got setup in a nice area Lister Racing provided for us, the first question I asked them was how they were getting on with their car, the Lister Storm.

“Well, the Lister is a good car,” said David, reclining back in his chair,the smell of oil still fresh on him. “Yeah, it’s not the fastest on a straights or the easiest car to go through a corner, but with a proper setup we can make it work really well.”

Xose was quick to jump in, although providing a slightly different perspective. “I have problems finding my limits in the GT Pro cars, the Lister being no exception. I think there are two main reasons for this, one is my lack of experience with these cars and in general with RWD cars. The other reason is I normally focus on Touring Cars since I started simracing three years ago.”

The two drivers had an up and down week this past Sunday at Brno. In fact, David Garcia was running on p4 for most of the event before a miss calculation in pit-stop strategy and late-race miss cues saw him shuffled back to 15th, where he would finish the race. I asked him if there was more pressure now to have a good round at Spa after such a disappointing finish at Brno.

David shrugged, “The pressure is always there—when you get on a race track you know it’s not for an easy ride. But in a way, I don’t really put emphasis on getting a top score each race, but for doing my best.“

Xose had a more even keeled event. He was never too far up the field, but also didn’t have to suffer such an epic order drop late in the race. Still, questions are emerging about Xose’ pace in the GT cars, and whether or not he can challenge his car-mates in the standings. I put the question simply, asking him if he has the pace to beat David and Martin.

A smiled lurked across Xose’ face as he looked over at teammate David, who glared back at Xose’ awaiting his response. “Speaking in Racedepartment league terms,“ Xose’ began” with the classic Racedepartment Touring Car Championship 4 group system, David is considered a group 1 guy. Meanwhile I’m more of a group 2 driver. Yeah, I have beaten him before on occasion, but….” Xose’ let go a chuckle before continuing, “we call him "The Flying Squid" for a reason.“

David also joined his mate in a laugh, as he appreciated Xose’ half stepping around the question.
It was obvious these two had a good working relationship. I could tell they were true friends, guys who enjoyed hanging around one another. Spectators and other media outlets have also noted the duos bond, as they routinely practice in tandem on track and run the same livery. I asked them where such a bond formed.

“We are friends with capital letters,” David began, “we know each other personally and share a lot of common interests, such as motorsport. We also talk on the telephone almost daily, we have common projects together as Simracing Team Challange, etc. When it comes to racing together as a team, we both drive for The Black Rebel sim racing team for years now, and we know more or less what driving style we have, so working together in the development of a setup is quite easy for us. These are the reasons why it is easy to find us training together before a race.”

Xose’ spoke up and also commented. “We are friends in real life, and Spaniards, so all that helps to make things really easy when it comes to preparing for the races. David is also founder of The Black Rebels Simracing Team, and I was there since the beginning. I discovered simracing and TBR at the same time so I don't understand one thing without the other. “

I wrapped up the intreview by asking them about their goals for the season. Both of the young drivers agreed it was about doing their best, not so much beating the other manufacturers. Even though Xose’admited a top 3 spot for Lister Racing is certainly within reach.

We at the RD GT1 blog would like to thank Lister Racing for cooperating with us in allowing their drivers to take part in the interview. And we would like to, of course, thank both David Garcia and Xose’ Estrada for taking the time to sit down with us. Unfortunately, Lister Racing’s leading man, Martin Vrba, was unable to take part. He was delayed in getting to Belgium because his flight was postponed. However, we do expect him to be on the grid for tomorrow’s event at Spa, which is the important thing.

In conclusion, it would seem that the group of guys at Lister Racing are definitely a team orianted bunch. Hey, maybe motorsport isn't perfect, but once in a while, it can be a team game.

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back