Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

Same thing, first it says after i uninstalled the current driver, and i start up the installing, that my uninstaller is 32 bit version, and thats not good for a 64 bit op system, and after next error message says, that my Vista is not 64 bit, and this driver is for 64 bit systems... ehm... strange at least...

Hey Attila, you got this sorted yet?

If not, first off, this is the direct link to download the Nvidia 64bit driver directly without going through all the other crap ... its about 86MB I think:
http://nzone.download.nvidia.com/nodlm/177.83_geforce_winvista_64bit_international_whql.exe

BEFORE trying to install the new drivers you downloaded above, delete the old temporary directory and all files that the previous Nvidia installer will have created, by default these are in:
C:\NVIDIA

Now try the install ... if it doesn't work, then try the uninstall with the "normal"/preferred option of removing the graphics drivers through
-> control panel -> programs and features -> Nvidia Drivers
(removal options as per first attached pic)

If that runs OK, then try the install again ... :p

No joy??

Reboot into Windows Safe Mode - and remove the graphics drivers from within device manager.
At this point note that Vista has a nice option of also being able to remove the local copy of the drivers you are removing (ie so it can't re-install them automatically like XP does when you reboot - nice feature since this has always hacked me off in XP!) ... to do this, make sure you select the check box when you are uninstalling your graphics card drivers - see 2nd attached pic

Run the driver cleaner pro whilst still in safe mode and before you do any rebooting.
Latest version of that should be available here:
Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

Next up, try the install again ... :p:p

If you still have problems, maybe check the forums over at nVIDIA Geforce 280 260 9600 8800 8600 9800 GT GTX AMD ATI Radeon HD 3850 4870 X2 - Guru of 3D: PC Hardware Reviews
... or post back here where you get to, and I will try to help some more, but am off to watch telly with my missus in a mo' since I have been on here or attempting to race an awful lot of late :thumb:

Attachments

• nivida driver removal.jpg
    nivida driver removal.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 268
  • uninstall - delete driver software.jpg
    uninstall - delete driver software.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 220
Thanks buddy, i will try like this too, never deleted anything manually from C:/Nvidia folder, just uninstalled, and after used Driver sweeper in safe mode, after this i could install the .83 it seemed at least, it went thorugh the whole installation process without those stupid 32/64 bit failure messages at the beginning, but at the end when just the: finished, pc restart needed message was expected, instead it gave a message like: system was not modified, if you wish to install this software later run the setup.... bugger....

I will try your proposals, thanks for them.

Check the guru3d site and forums for information on .inf files - you should not have to get a modified .inf file to do the install, but it sounds like you have had problems with that (this is why I said to delete the file and folders in C:\nvidia ... as that is where the whole installation package is extracted to prior to starting the install).
Good luck

Thanks buddy, i will try like this too, never deleted anything manually from C:/Nvidia folder, just uninstalled, and after used Driver sweeper in safe mode, after this i could install the .83 it seemed at least, it went thorugh the whole installation process without those stupid 32/64 bit failure messages at the beginning, but at the end when just the: finished, pc restart needed message was expected, instead it gave a message like: system was not modified, if you wish to install this software later run the setup.... bugger....

I will try your proposals, thanks for them.

I had the same message on Vista64 Atti.
Problem is because of NVidia's shitty installer.
The installer basicly does this, install/upgrade the videodrivers in silent mode (almost no user interaction required).
During the installation the Physics driver installer is also executed on auto install mode. BUt it does not expect that you might already have the old physics driver (almost everyone has it) installed. The installer for physic goes on Upgrade mode and therefor the auto install will not succeed.

Solution:
Restart PC first to make sure no current installer is running.
Run the NVidia .83 driver installation and also open the task manager on the process tab.
During the installation you will notice the 'PhysX_8.08.01_SystemSoftware.exe' process starting. Just END this task. The NVidia driver installation will now continue and it will be installed with a normal finished message.
Then just manually start the physic part:
c:\NVIDIA\WinVista64\177.83\IS\PhysX_8.08.01_SystemSoftware.exe

The driver(s) are now correctly installed.

Ok, with the separate Physix installation i could get it done finally, thanks again Ramon :)

Results in 3DMark06 did not change, same 13100 as with 177.79
3DMark Vantage went up from 9600 to 11700, nice :)
Ingame fps also imporved slightly, at around 5% i would say.

Ok, with the separate Physix installation i could get it done finally, thanks again Ramon :)

Results in 3DMark06 did not change, same 13100 as with 177.79
3DMark Vantage went up from 9600 to 11700, nice :)
Ingame fps also imporved slightly, at around 5% i would say.

I think 3DMark 06 does not support Physics in the way Vantage does. Because of the 9800/9800X2/GTX260/280 they will all be faster with the new drivers on Vantage.

Its not a guarantee that it will be faster in any game also. Almost none of the current top games supports Physics.

I hope NVidia will release a new card soon; beyond the GTX280 I mean.
I just sold my 8800GTS SLi and have now the 9800GTX, which gives me the same performance as both the 8800's :).
The GTX280 is the fastest NV card, but I want more. It has to be at least as fast as Ati's 4870X2 :)
Also I need a newer Mainboard also. Still has the 680i chipset with 800mhz memory.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Solution:
Restart PC first to make sure no current installer is running.
Run the NVidia .83 driver installation and also open the task manager on the process tab.
During the installation you will notice the 'PhysX_8.08.01_SystemSoftware.exe' process starting. Just END this task. The NVidia driver installation will now continue and it will be installed with a normal finished message.
Then just manually start the physic part:
c:\NVIDIA\WinVista64\177.83\IS\PhysX_8.08.01_SystemSoftware.exe

The driver(s) are now correctly installed.

I had the same problem (vista64).Your solution works great.Thanks a lot

I have seen a newer driver already and i still did not have found test time as my room here is a mess, still changing floors here it's not all done yet. But i think when GTR Evo comes out i will test the driver and also the Physx part.

Loving the 177.92 drivers...

NVIDIA issued a new beta driver this morning. It's the full monty and includes the PhysX drivers as well. The driver has precision GeForce Forceware Vista 177.92 and supports GeForce 6-series, 7-series, 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, including the newly released GeForce 9800 GTX+, 9800 GT, 9500 GT, and 9400 GT GPUs.

• [*]Adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v8.08.18).
    [*]Experience GPU PhysX acceleration in several full games and demos today by downloading the GeForce Power Pack.
    [*]Adds support for 2-way NVIDIA SLI technology with GeForce GTX 200-series GPUs on Intel® D5400XS motherboards.
    [*]Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology* on DirectX 9 and OpenGL.
    [*]Supports CUDA™.
    [*]Supports Folding@home distributing computing application. Download the high performance client for NVIDIA GPUs here and join the NVIDIA team: #131015.
    [*]Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
    [*]Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v177.92 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:
    [*]Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
    [*]Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
    [*]Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
    [*]Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
    [*]Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    [*]2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
    [*]2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
    [*]2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    [*]2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10
    [*]Includes numerous 3D application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

GeForce Forceware Vista 177.92 32-bit download from Guru3D.com

GeForce Forceware Vista 177.92 64-bit download from Guru3D.com

GeForce Forceware XP 177.92 32-bit download from Guru3D.com

Nvidia driver 177.83 and "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, ..." alert

Anyone ever got this message in their Windows event log whilst running Race07?

I had it for the first time during in the Mini Endurance race last Friday at Hungaroring (cost me 6 places and a pit stop to repair the smashed up front end), and now again a couple of times running 24 AI car races at Porto (after about 8 laps of Porto, screen goes blank, everything stutters for a few seconds, then it all comes back - but I am usually in a wall by then!! :doh:).

There is a long thread over at Guru3D about this, but as yet don't seem to be any concrete answers (although I have not taken hours to read the entire 15 pages of this post in detail!):
Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered" - Page 15 - Guru3D.com Forums

... tried the hotfix discussed over, but it tells me it is not needed -fair ennufff ... so last night was wondering what else could I try?

I have my CPU, RAM, graphics card and motherboard overclocked ... BUT, never had any problems like this with it in the last 8 or 10 months.

So ... was thinking that the biggest change to my setup lately is the newest 177.83 Nvidia drivers I installed a week or two ago.

Got me thinking, based on something a few folk wrote in the above thread regarding this driver, I downed (slowed) the overclock on my graphics card by ~10mhz each on the core and memory timings (I use Riva Tuner).

Not thoroughly tested yet, but am hoping this does the trick, otherwise am gonna have to pull out of the Porto race tomorrow for fear of it happening again and me causing a biggeee which ruins it for everyone!!!!

Am curious to hear if anyone else has had this problem since installing the latest Nvidia drivers?

Will report back as to whether downing the core and mem speeds really fixes it or not, but maybe try the same if you are getting this error and we can "compare notes" :wink:

Sorry you have this problem Lee, if you find the answer to it you'll be a very rich man:D I had similar issues when Vista was first released which eventually went away:crazy: I can think of nothing I did to the resolve the problem, apart from, driver updates. Reading the Guru3D and Nvidia forums this problem still plagues people almost randomly and whatever Nvidia suggest someone will come up against the problem for no logical reason. I suppose rolling back to your last known stable driver would be the only option for now.

FYI, had this occur this morning updating to 177.92, rolled back to 177.83 and everything's fine again.

Thx, and yeah ... Vista often reminds me of early releases of windows 95 ... remember whilst I was working as a techy having 2 absolutely identical laptops sat side by side (hardware revisions and everything were proper identical) on which I was installing Win95, was using exactly same discs and drivers and firmware revisions and even the order in which I did everything - one worked fine, the other had major hassles and aggro - go figure! :der::der:

Might have to try the 177.92's out ... was on a beta before (can't remember exact version but have it stashed away somewhere) and that worked fine, so if all else fails will head back to that and see if that fixes it - I just wanna play though and not spend all my life figuring and patching, done enough of that in my working life!
(... yeah, don't tell me, in that case to go buy a PS3 or Xbox :lol:)

New Nvidia Beta Forceware 177.92 and Nvidia PhysX 8.08.18

Nvidia has released a new Beta Forceware 177.92 driver for Windows XP and Vista. These drivers are for GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9 and 200 series graphics cards. These drivers provide support for Nvidia PhysX and include a new 8.08.18 PhysX driver as part of the package. Importantly, aside from a range of fixes, the drivers have notable performance improvements in a range of games including Assassin's Creed, CoD4, ET:QW, CoH and BioShock, particularly in DX10 mode, both in single card and SLI configurations.

Nvidia has released the 8.08.18 PhysX drivers, available as part of the Beta 177.92 Forceware package below, or on their own, for both Ageia PhysX hardware and Nvidia PhysX-capable GPUs.

Source: Tweakguides.com

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back