New Automobilista Hockenheim Previews, Track Released to Beta Backers

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Hockenheim DLC Preview 2.jpg

Brazilian overachievers Reiza Studios have released preview images from the upcoming Hockenheim DLC for Automobilista as beta backers of the sim receive access to this interesting new addition.

The latest in the line of 'Legendary Tracks' DLC packs, Reiza's impending Hockenheim DLC will contain four versions of the former German Grand Prix venue. With the traditional and well known blast through the forest making a digital comeback for this pack, players will be able to recreate Grand Prix events of yesteryear using some of the incredible open wheel content to be found in the game. It is expected, although not yet confirmed, that the 2001 and 2016 version of the track will be available initially with 1972 and '88 to follow after the original release.

On the subject of high performance open wheel cars, the included preview screen shots also give players an early glimpse of the Reiza interpretation of a 2017 specification Formula One style car, due to be included in the simulation at a later date.

AMS Hockenheim DLC Preview.jpg

Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Reiza Studios. Post release DLC can be purchased separately for an additional cost.

AMS Hockenheim DLC Preview 3.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of the latest news and discussions with regards to the simulation. We have a massive mod database where you can check out and download a selection of cars, tracks, skins, apps and other such third party content, plus of course we host some incredible club racing events on a regular weekly basis. If you want to become involved in the action yourself, check out the Automobilista Racing Clubs and Leagues sub forum and sign yourself up to a race today!

Looking forward to the Hockenheim DLC? Do you enjoy AMS? Have you tried the track(s) in Beta yet, if so what are your impressions? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification RD.
....and 'Thank You' Reiza.... was wondering what that latest beta download was.
I love the environment as seen from the cockpit of this sim.
It's so much fun to drive.
The tires actually feel like tires.

Just wondering how this SIM stacks up against AC and PCars etc. I'd like to try it but... Can someone give it to me straight? :) Thanks

Best physics, best feeling, best FFB...not bad graphics (not great neither), good features, awesome support from Reiza, great community, great and unknown content, variety of content (normal content like spa, monza, etc in mods from Niels)...and pretty cheap even for the season pass (includes all DLC's in the future).

A must.

VR support: soon trademark*.

*Not date for that, but in Reiza we trust.

Just wondering how this SIM stacks up against AC and PCars etc. I'd like to try it but... Can someone give it to me straight? :) Thanks

Not as pretty for screenshots, but you won't notice when driving. Twice the fps of AC & pCARS at the same resolution. Can use multiview triple monitor (impossible with pCARS), but no VR support. Waaay more official tracks than AC. Broad vehicle choice, a bit slanted towards F1 and formula cars in general, low on any cars resembling GT3 apart from "Boxer Cup", no licensed street cars. Offers several Brazilian race series that you won't find in any other sim, plus karting, stadium trucks, and rallycross. Still only a 32-bit app, but Reiza do everything possible to not let that be a limitation. Dynamic track surface, full day-night cycle, but no weather. Standing start, rolling start, formation lap w/standing start. Consistent feel across the whole game that neither AC nor pCARS has accomplished.

AI is better than pCARS (what AI isn't?), probably on a par with AC these days.

Last edited:
It's an awesome title that just hasn't gripped the public servers that well. I can always get an online race in AC pretty much any time of the day any day of the week, but struggle to find anyone online in AMS.
I know they do club races here but I'm never able to join them due to my time zone.
I've actually been able to join more rF2 races online with it's messed up download system which says something...
But, the driving in AMS just feels so good. Cars are properly connected to the road. You can feel the grip, or lack thereof, better than AC. Tracks are varied and the car selection is pretty decent imo.
Also the modding scene is great. Proper cars and tracks released by top modders mean there is always something new to try too.
But it ain't as pretty as the two you mentioned but when the driving is this good you'll soon see past it.

Best physics, best feeling, best FFB...not bad graphics (not great neither), good features, awesome support from Reiza, great community, great and unknown content, variety of content (normal content like spa, monza, etc in mods from Niels)...and pretty cheap even for the season pass (includes all DLC's in the future).

A must.

VR support: soon trademark*.

*Not date for that, but in Reiza we trust.
This is the "The Truth"

If you don't mind graphics from another age, or if you are to busy to look around while driving, then get it; as it is a all nice package.
To me AC is way better in terms of physics/driving simulation, but it is very subjective. It is pretty good in AMS for sure though.
Because Reiza is a small team, they need to juice up AMS in order to develop and deliver their next title due in 1 year or so.
Best advice is save your money for the future title, or give a try to this one thinking of helping Reiza, since they deserve it. But in 2017, for most people, such graphics are a no-go, that's why the online is empty.

Hockenheim is a track I initially did not like, as it was flat and bit hard to see the apexes, but after doing hundreds of laps in RRE ( DTM), I really enjoy it. Looking forward to the old versions, too. The "short" version is also very fun for the smaller cars ( ie Formula Trainer ). Not sure if we will get that though.

AC and AMS are both in the "hardcore simulator" realm. I recently got more into AMS, it's pretty great. I wouldn't say AMS is better than AC, they have different strengths. Both good FFB, believable physics.

AMS strenghts:

- Overall very complete package, while with not that many cars. But many racing disciplines and tracks instead, and overall complete feature list
- Lively AI which is aggressive in a good way
- Damage model is nice, while not super detailed. But parts of the car actually do come apart in crashes, you can puncture your tyre, overheat engine etc
- Complete racing rules, with flag rules, rolling starts, formation laps, safety car, timed races. Also offline
- Night racing, while it seems to be heavier on the FPS
- Good sounds. Raw and visceral, they sound very believable
- Graphics are quite good IMO when you put extra AA from NVidia Inspector and do the recommended steps in NVidia CP. I actually quite like them. AC has way better vehicle graphics, tracks difference is not that big
- Variety of fun racing disciplines, like formulas, dirt racing, super trucks, endurance racers, even karts
- Lots of high quality mod tracks from Europe and US etc. and some official too
- Wide selection of crazy South American tracks you've never heard of

Downsides:

- Wide selection of crazy South American tracks you've never heard of
- UI is equally bad as in Assetto Corsa
- Some cars aren't officially licensed, and have weird names. Like Boxer Cup which is obviously Porsche
- Tracks aren't laser scanned (afaik, don't know if some of them are)
- No rain in AMS either. Probably not coming either

AC has the glamorous official licences like Ferrari, Lamborghini, the laserscanned tracks and insanely detailed vehicle models. But it also lacks many things AMS has right out of the bat. You should own both

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea