Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Tuning Tips: Spring

Continuing from where I left off last week, I thought I would finish the Springs category. Sway Bars deserved their own blog because I feel they have a far greater impact on handling than the rest. That being said, once you have your sway bars tuned properly, adjusting spring rates and bump stops can act as a complement to them.

I’ll come right out and say it: I love the GUMPERT apollo. I’m not sure if it’s the looks, or the absurd Performance Index the Works conversion gives it (2354!), but I love it as an alternative to all the Lamborghinis and Paganis I see. That being said, I spend about half of my energy just trying to keep the car on the track. The back end simply has a mind of its own.

Adjusting the sway bars helped, but there was still more to do. I needed to tone down the movement of the rear-end, while still maintaining the ability to turn into the corners.

Stiffening both springs to 6.00 essentially turns the car into twitchy, uncontrollable jackhammer. Trying to hit a high-speed sweeping corner with stiff springs will send you shooting into the wall due the wheels having zero give. Every bump in the road is felt, and you’ll find yourself skipping outwards consistently as the tires lose contact with the pavement.

Softening both springs to 0.00 will cure the twitchy feeling, making it easier to control on the straights, but the turn-in becomes much more difficult since there is a lack of responsiveness and slight increase in body-roll.

My personal preference is that I’d rather have to catch the tail trying to step-out, than wait for it come around in a turn. I found comfort in a setting that gives me a responsive front spring rate 4-5.00, and 3.00 in the rear. If you don’t like trying to tame oversteer, set the rear a bit softer.

With that fixed, I moved onto bump stops which cured one of my biggest annoyances with the apollo: Bottoming out. With the Works package, the GUMPERT sits extremely low, and constantly scrapes on rough sections of the track. By setting the bump stops at 15.00 in the front, and 20.00 in the rear, I fixed bottoming out altogether.

The trade-off here is that I gained precious MPH, but the car becomes a little bit squirrely. If you find sparks shooting out from underneath your car regularly, increase your bump stop on the front and rear until they stop, just remember that the higher you go, the less control you have. I would only recommend adjusting bump stops if your car rides extremely low.

A well-balanced car like the BMW 135i Coupe has a ride height that’s fine, negating the need for bump stops (or a change in ride height itself). That being said, it really isn’t as responsive as I’d like in corners. After playing with the sway bars (Front at 6.00 and Rear at 3.00), I set both Springs at 3.00 which resulted keeping the car balanced, giving me a little bit more turn-in, a touch of controllable oversteer, and more speed out of the corners.

If all else fails, keep remembering the three parts to a corner: Entry, Apex, and Exit. Each needs to be smooth in order to be fast.

General Rules:

Stiff Springs - responsive, but twitchy

Soft Springs - Less responsive, easier to control

Bump Stop - Raise it only to the point where you stop bottoming out, any more than that and it becomes extremely difficult to control

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Tuning Tips: Stance

While shooting sparks may look cool when they’re shooting up from behind your car in SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED, chances are you’re losing valuable speed at the same time. That being said, if you can minimize bottoming out while still keeping the car low, you’re in the best position to succeed.

Many of the body kits put your front splitter and rear diffuser a mere inch from the ground. Lowering your stance too far in the front or rear can result in one of those pieces scraping the asphalt during weight transfers or a bump on the track. A low center of gravity is paramount when cornering. If your car is as high as it can go, there will be an increase in body roll and a lack of stability, which will certainly harm you when cornering.

The Audi R8 Coupe 4.2 FSI quattro is one of the most balanced cars in the game, but set the front and rear ride height to 10.00 and all of a sudden, you’ll find yourself fighting the car to stay on the track. Take them both down to 0.00 and I found I had mixed results. The car handled a little better, but any bump on the track caused sparks to fly out, essentially indicating extra friction and drag that I didn’t need.

Stance can be important with any car, but I wouldn’t recommend tinkering much with it. Making a minor change, then adjusting the bump stops is the best combination I’ve found to keep the center of gravity low without bottoming out. If you’d like increased grip, lower the front to about 2.00-4.00 and that should be plenty.

General Rules:

-Raised Stance: More acceleration, increased body roll, less traction

-Lower Stance: Better center of gravity, more grip, chance of bottoming out

-Don’t lower to less than 2.00

-If front and rear aren’t the same, keep the front lower than the rear

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Tuning Tips: Aerodynamics

One of the most important terms in racing verbiage is downforce, which is a major part of your car’s aerodynamics, and is vital whether you are cornering hard or trying to reach top speed.

In SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED, controlling your car at 200mph is a must. No one wants to scratch that beautiful paint, right? At high speed, adding downforce can certainly help you corner. What you’re doing is pushing the front or rear of the car into the ground, giving you more traction.

With the lovely BMW 3.0 CSL Gr. 5 that came in this week’s Legends DLC, adjusting the aerodynamics can make a big difference. By increasing front and rear downforce, you gain much more grip when cornering, but trim your top speed because you’ve created more drag.

The opposite is true as well. I set the front and rear downforce to 0.00, and the top speed increased about 4-5mph; however, these settings made the car difficult to control, making the tracks feel more like a skating rink than tarmac.

Setting the front to 0.00 and the rear to 10.00 gave me loads of understeer, making it nearly impossible to turn, whereas dialing the front up to 10.00 and the rear to 0.00 gave the car massive oversteer. It handled just like a drift car (hint hint!).

In the end, I settled on a front downforce of 8.00 and rear of 5.00. I prefer a little less traction in the back as it allows me to get the tail around on highly technical tracks.

As you can see, large changes to the aerodynamics can cause problems; however, adding or removing a little downforce can shred at least a second off your lap time.

General Rules:

-Increased downforce (Front or Rear): more grip, less speed
-Decreased downforce (Front or Rear): less grip, more speed
-Lots of front, none in the rear: Massive oversteer, drifting
-Minimal front, lots of rear: Understeer, push
-Small adjustments equal faster lap times

Had an early morning session today and tried out a different button configuration leaving the down arrow of the d-pad unassigned but still had no luck getting the second telemetry screen up :O_o:. I get the usual HUD with the race positions, lap time, tach and map, etc. Then the telemetry screen with the tyre, acceleration and braking info, etc. and then the empty screen. When on the telemetry screen nothing I press brings up the alternative telemetry info.. any suggestions?
i just have to push the dpad down and i can toggle btwn the 3 telemetry screens. must be a wheel setting for it.

that's a great vid. I've had some good races in Grid, but far to often the un-realistic mass of the Grid cars ruins the race when you do rub together. Not only that, Grid AI are notorious for stopping faster than you, almost completely on some corners, and accelerating out of the corners faster than you. And when they do leave the inside of the corner open they come back and slam the **** out of you. A few small tweeks and the AI on Grid would be great. But this was a good Video @Robert Waddell I can't wait to drive this game and start my career. Is this game going to use the Kinect to follow head movements, like checking mirrors or looking to the apex??? There was a cool feature like that in Forza 4 that could be improved with a better Kinect like the one on the Xbone.

I can push down on the d-pad to get through the 3 HUDs one of which is the telemetry screen.. the others I can't access. I'll try Rob's suggestion and set everything to default and go from there.

Not sure I am going to make this one now... just got on for a last practice and got notification of an XBL update but when I tried to download it it failed halfway through (seemed very slow!!) and now I can't seem to get back on.. stuck with spinning circle :thumbsdown:

OK worse than I thought.. seems the update has corrupted my Xbox HDD.. tried again and got the message that I didn't have enough storage space :confused: My HDD is now showing as unformatted so I've lost everything :poop:... FU@#ED off completely now... PC is beckoning more than ever...

Last edited:
I can push down on the d-pad to get through the 3 HUDs one of which is the telemetry screen.. the others I can't access. I'll try Rob's suggestion and set everything to default and go from there.
there is no setting for it in the options.... so i guess if you set your dpad down to anything it must override the toggle for the telemetry.....

that's a great vid. I've had some good races in Grid, but far to often the un-realistic mass of the Grid cars ruins the race when you do rub together. Not only that, Grid AI are notorious for stopping faster than you, almost completely on some corners, and accelerating out of the corners faster than you. And when they do leave the inside of the corner open they come back and slam the **** out of you. A few small tweeks and the AI on Grid would be great. But this was a good Video @Robert Waddell I can't wait to drive this game and start my career. Is this game going to use the Kinect to follow head movements, like checking mirrors or looking to the apex??? There was a cool feature like that in Forza 4 that could be improved with a better Kinect like the one on the Xbone.

No Kinect that I've heard of, thank God. I tried that in Forza 4 and it was a disaster. But it will have "look to apex" sliders that will adjust the degree to which your "head" turns, even in cockpit. The drastic helmet effect can be reduced too, and you can turn just enough to get a look out of your mirrors in a turn, which is how it is IRL, as you know.

Sorry about that.. but I just couldn't drive it like that. Dont know what was going on, But I was 10 seconds off my pace from the time attack. I checkd the wheel controls in the game and it had defaulted back. But in the race the FFB as so strong I couldn't turn the wheel properly and the car was just sliding off the track as if I had 4 flat tires. :mad: I'll give it one more shot, but if this happens again I'm out of this Series.

Sorry about that.. but I just couldn't drive it like that. Dont know what was going on, But I was 10 seconds off my pace from the time attack. I checkd the wheel controls in the game and it had defaulted back. But in the race the FFB as so strong I couldn't turn the wheel properly and the car was just sliding off the track as if I had 4 flat tires. :mad: I'll give it one more shot, but if this happens again I'm out of this Series.

I'm sorry too Michael. I think we all had issues but me, strangely enough. I had disconnected from F1 games, I think, three times last season and it's maddening. I have come to accept it as online gaming, but I certainly understand your frustration in ot wanting to trust the game. Maybe this is a good learning lesson in that we all check our tuning, our in-game settings under the "Options" section, and finally check that out wheels feel ok on the pace lap. If you really feel somethingis wrong, please call for a restart, because I think we all like the game, but recognize it has some glitches. Poor Peter lost everything. I don't know how he managed to finish second under those circumstances.

Not sure I am going to make this one now... just got on for a last practice and got notification of an XBL update but when I tried to download it it failed halfway through (seemed very slow!!) and now I can't seem to get back on.. stuck with spinning circle :thumbsdown:

OK worse than I thought.. seems the update has corrupted my Xbox HDD.. tried again and got the message that I didn't have enough storage space :confused: My HDD is now showing as unformatted so I've lost everything :poop:... FU@#ED off completely now... PC is beckoning more than ever...

That's total crap that M/S would not have a system in place that warned you about the limited space. But I'm glad you got back online. Silver lining...second place in the race, third in the shootout and a lot of extra HDD space! :sick:

that's crazy. must be a glitch that resets it with your wheels......randomly. :(

Results and Standings

Sprint Race:
Michael - 25 (1:12.871)
Karl - 18 (1:14.380)
Peter - 15 (1:18.185)
Robert - 12 (1:18.279)
Railer - 10 (no time)

Feature Race:
Karl - 25
Peter - 18
Railer - 15
Robert - 12
Michael - 10

Points To Date:
Karl - 43
Michael - 35
Peter - 33
Railer - 25
Robert - 24

Last edited:
that's crazy. must be a glitch that resets it with your wheels......randomly. :(

Part of the format was made so that your practice all week would not go unrewarded if something like this happens, because as gamers, we all know too well how often it does.
Michael, you are in second over all in the points because of your hard work during the week. That was a blistering lap in the first event.

That's total crap that M/S would not have a system in place that warned you about the limited space. But I'm glad you got back online. Silver lining...second place in the race, third in the shootout and a lot of extra HDD space! :sick:
I'm not sure whether perhaps the drive failed before that though Robert.. Did anyone else get an xbl update tonight? If not then I'm guessing I only got one because the system failed to find the most recent update on my Xbox because the drive has got screwed so tried to download the latest one at which point it found no HDD I put it on. Such a pain but thanks all for the patience, I was just glad to get in the races despite the strange things happening.

There seemed some odd connection things going on at first with Michaels car veering off twice in Time Attack with him seeing contact causing it while on my screen he had no one near him. Was I lagging for anyone at all tonight?

I'm not sure whether perhaps the drive failed before that though Robert.. Did anyone else get an xbl update tonight? If not then I'm guessing I only got one because the system failed to find the most recent update on my Xbox because the drive has got screwed so tried to download the latest one at which point it found no HDD I put it on. Such a pain but thanks all for the patience, I was just glad to get in the races despite the strange things happening.

There seemed some odd connection things going on at first with Michaels car veering off twice in Time Attack with him seeing contact causing it while on my screen he had no one near him. Was I lagging for anyone at all tonight?
I didn't see any lag per see, but I did see some strange things, like cars taking a 90 degree turn into the wall and then me being spun by a phantom Karl. You know, things that you know someone would not do, but they happened. But during the actual race, it was pretty damned clean. Brave-heart award goes to you Peter. You recovered, then raced w/o any data, and did quite well. Nice.

Oh, and here is the first race. If you see anything odd besides my driving, just chime in...

thanks Robert, but I was really frustrated :mad: there in that second race, not having touched any settings and to have my car just all the sudden become undrivable... that was pure ****.. and I don't know what could have been different unless I suffered some kind of random damage like a flat tire or something. The FFB was almost 3 times the normal, every time I tried to turn the car and then the car wouldn't turn, just skidding off the pavement. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I'm going to work on Leguna Seca off an on while preparing for the Grid race. My Ford ****us :p is still not leveled up where I want it for the race on Saturday, and I've already sold off my Mini and VW bus.

I didn't see any lag per see, but I did see some strange things, like cars taking a 90 degree turn into the wall and then me being spun by a phantom Karl. You know, things that you know someone would not do, but they happened. But during the actual race, it was pretty damned clean. Brave-heart award goes to you Peter. You recovered, then raced w/o any data, and did quite well. Nice.

Oh, and here is the first race. If you see anything odd besides my driving, just chime in...
I saw Michael twice go right into the wall in the Time Attack race. I assumed he was having wheel issues but on his screen it seems he got tagged to cause those while on mine he had nobody anywhere near him to cause it.

On the subject of my connection I wish there was a way to see whether there has been a difference by my going the cable route. Any suggestions? The one thing I can say is that I'm no longer getting signed out of XBL every time I exit a game so hopefully that's a sign of a more stable connection.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 154 65.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 105 44.9%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 111 47.4%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 65 27.8%
Back