NASCAR | Kyle Larson Fired For iRacing Misdemeanour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Chip Ganassi Racing young hotshot Kyle Larson has found himself in deep water with his team and sport, following an ill advised racial slur during the recent iRacing NASCAR series broadcast.

One of the hottest young prospects within the NASCAR scene in recent years, Larson enjoyed his best season in the category to date in 2019, finish a very solid sixth in the title standings after just missing out on the chance to race for the championship in the final rounds of the series.

Despite having a car underneath him that never quite manages to challenge outright over the course of a full campaign, Larson has impressed many observers in recent years as he began to make a name for himself in the category - good work that looks like it has been severely compromised when the 27-year-old was heard using a racial slur during a recent iRacing NASCAR replacement series race.

Initially having been suspended from the real and virtual championships for an indefinite amount of time, Larson has since seen a number of key sponsors walk away from him in the last 24 hours, leaving his Chip Ganassi Racing outfit with the decision to fire the American driver with immediate effect - casing doubt on the viability of Larson's career in premier American Stock Car series.

Using the N word on a live broadcast has brought justified criticism of the driver from fans and insiders within the sport, forcing the six-time cup winner to post an apology for his actions on his social media channels - however, only time will tell if this is enough to reignite what has been a promising career for the Californian driver:

For more from the world of motorsport, drop a post in the RaceDepartment Motorsport sub forum and get interacting with our awesome community!

Kyle Larson1.jpg

When the N word is being used every 10 seconds by black people, it's not only OK but it's a COOL thing to do. A MUST if you like. ***** this ***** that, my *****, yo ***** , wassup ***** etc etc. They're saying the N word more than the entire population of this planet is saying the F word.
But when the N word is used even ONCE by anybody else...he's public enemy #1.

They way i see it,black people have been segregating themselves and they don't even realize it.Or maybe they do but that's how they want it anyway. I don't know.

I don't understand this world anymore. This whole "racism" thing is about to turn over....

It's not just that he said something stupid. If your friend jokes around and calls you a "dirty Jew" or Arab, or N-word, it says something about who they are that they would casually say something like that. Surely, you don't think that's the first time he's ever used the word.

And no, it's not the same thing as a Black rapper using the word. Nobody thinks a Black rapper hates Black people.

Look, personal responsibility. It's 2020. If you're an adult who is not Black and you're still using that word, it's on you if your life is ruined for it. I think the same would apply if he said something about Jews, Hispanics or Arabs.
I agree with all you said. Using the N-word is like calling a German a Nazi - it just wont go down well. However, I believe Kyle said it without even thinking. It was a conversation between two people and he forgot he was Twitch'ing to the whole world. Its a massive f'ck up, but since its a first time offence of that nature (I think), firing is a tad over the top imo.

Wow. Im very disappointed with some of these comments. There is NEVER an acceptable time to use that word. Black white or chinese purple pink. It doesnt matter. The fact that he used the word so calmly and freely shows that it is a part of his vocabulary. Imagine what he is saying behind closed doors. The basis of that word is pure hate and racism. To some people it means nothing because you never had to deal with racism. Learn the history behind that word before you dimiss it as "free speech" or harmless. People have been killed having that word yelled at them. But hey it doesnt affect you so its fine harmless banter right..

I'm black and my kids are half white and they've already been taught that just because they are half black doesn't not mean its ok to use that word.. EVER!!
Im glad he got fired. He is a role model and there are a lot of children and adults that look up to him. An example had to be made to show that it is not ok.
This hobby is unfortunately white af, so it doesn't surprise me. Just like it doesn't surprise me that a comment from an actual affected person is largely ignored.

There would never be a situation in which I would 'accidentally' say that word, because I'm white and it's not a word I ever use. If that word is in your vocabulary and you're not black, that's where you went wrong. It doesn't matter if you're on a live mic, with a couple of friends, or alone in a cupboard with the lights off, it shouldn't be a word your brain grabs out of the ether.

I hope the driver does genuinely learn from this, but more importantly I hope anyone from a minority who heard it happen and was made to feel bad is ok.

While I'm pretty against political correctness, this particular word has very deep and dark history, which we (as a society) shouldn't ignore, firing him is necessary to save the company's image. As this happened before, he will be back in racing in a few years.

When the N word is being used every 10 seconds by black people, it's not only OK but it's a COOL thing to do. A MUST if you like. ***** this ***** that, my *****, yo ***** , wassup ***** etc etc. They're saying the N word more than the entire population of this planet is saying the F word.

They way i see it,black people have been segregating themselves and they don't even realize it.Or maybe they do but that's how they want it anyway. I don't know.

I don't understand this world anymore. This whole "racism" thing is about to turn over....

The problem with this is that you are treating every black person as one big homogeneous group....
Just because some black rappers use the N word doesn't mean Obama does..or that black lawyer, or that black policeman etc etc etc...

So the example of "well a rapper said it so it is ok..." is just silly...as a black rapper speaks for the whole of the black people as much as Trump speaks for every white person....

Well, where has the world gone when you loose your ride, job and career for saying just ONE word?
The same word black people say to each other every day(!)
Isn't that provoking?
The other way around, happens a lot too; you ever heard a thing about that? A black person calling names to a white person?
Public opinion......from people that are "professionally hurt" and no one dares to say something about it because of that same public opinion.
Ah yes, the pathetic overreaction of the false moralists. Always lurking in the corner, waiting for someone to say the most tiny thing just so they can shout "you are a horrible person, you have to be amazing like us, so now get punished for not being a false moralist!".
Two of the best post here.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: The wording "professionally hurt" is pretty good about people who all the time gets offended - on behalf of others :roflmao:

EDIT: Oh I just saw this its even more precise:thumbsup:

First off....Not every black person uses that word. I do not...my friends do not...neither does any member of my family.
I would never tolerate that kind of behavior.
It is why I have friends from everywhere in the world...everywhere.
Second....It is never okay for anyone...black or white to use hurtful words.
If folks stop using this word.... or any other derogatory words to describe whites, blacks, Asians or anybody else, they'll be fine.
Maybe some folks ought to go review the news in the deep south of America from the 50s, 60s and 70s.
If you like representation of the past in movie form...go see "Best of enemies'.

As the father of a mixed race child and now grandfather to her children I hear the word being used a lot. In the space of 4 days at her school recently my granddaughter was called the name twice, both observed by the same teacher. The 1st instance involved her best friend who uses the term as a friendly term. The teacher took her to one side and explained the meaning of the word and why it was inappropriate to use it. The second involved a local (I'd like to use the word yob but would probably be branded as some kind if ist) individual and it most certainly was't intended as friendly. The teacher took him aside, gave him the same lecture but added 3 detentions into the equation. Morale, let the punishment suit the crime. Kyle screwed up, it wasn't malicious. Hefty fine and a suspension to allow time to reflect on what he did would have been more appropriate IMO

As the father of a mixed race child and now grandfather to her children I hear the word being used a lot. In the space of 4 days at her school recently my granddaughter was called the name twice, both observed by the same teacher. The 1st instance involved her best friend who uses the term as a friendly term. The teacher took her to one side and explained the meaning of the word and why it was inappropriate to use it. The second involved a local (I'd like to use the word yob but would probably be branded as some kind if ist) individual and it most certainly was't intended as friendly. The teacher took him aside, gave him the same lecture but added 3 detentions into the equation. Morale, let the punishment suit the crime. Kyle screwed up, it wasn't malicious. Hefty fine and a suspension to allow time to reflect on what he did would have been more appropriate IMO
Considering you're talking about letting the punishment fit the crime when you illustrate that the context matters, I'd like to offer you this: Kyle made his mistake in front of a live audience, while representing a number of sponsor and a racing team.
Not on a school playground where just 5 people were close enough to hear him...

Easy to become super terrible extreme racist these days.

Gotta love people trying to defend blatant racism with the excuse of political correctness.

It is stupid childish school level bandwagon sjw IMO. Of course it is not nice and people are expected to be upset and unhappy, it shouldn't be tolerated, but the way it gets exaggerated is just childish, and these situations pops over and over again. I bet any true appearance of racism would be missed by SJW if there wouldn't be N word mentioned, and super mild microscopic racism that is even hard to call racism is worst case if there is this word mentioned with shaky inconfident voice hoping that no one hears it and also not even meaning to offend anyone at all, not aiming it at anybody. It is just absurd IMO. In fact the word has become racism itself. But what about real racism ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back