NASCAR | Kyle Larson Fired For iRacing Misdemeanour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Chip Ganassi Racing young hotshot Kyle Larson has found himself in deep water with his team and sport, following an ill advised racial slur during the recent iRacing NASCAR series broadcast.

One of the hottest young prospects within the NASCAR scene in recent years, Larson enjoyed his best season in the category to date in 2019, finish a very solid sixth in the title standings after just missing out on the chance to race for the championship in the final rounds of the series.

Despite having a car underneath him that never quite manages to challenge outright over the course of a full campaign, Larson has impressed many observers in recent years as he began to make a name for himself in the category - good work that looks like it has been severely compromised when the 27-year-old was heard using a racial slur during a recent iRacing NASCAR replacement series race.

Initially having been suspended from the real and virtual championships for an indefinite amount of time, Larson has since seen a number of key sponsors walk away from him in the last 24 hours, leaving his Chip Ganassi Racing outfit with the decision to fire the American driver with immediate effect - casing doubt on the viability of Larson's career in premier American Stock Car series.

Using the N word on a live broadcast has brought justified criticism of the driver from fans and insiders within the sport, forcing the six-time cup winner to post an apology for his actions on his social media channels - however, only time will tell if this is enough to reignite what has been a promising career for the Californian driver:

For more from the world of motorsport, drop a post in the RaceDepartment Motorsport sub forum and get interacting with our awesome community!

Kyle Larson1.jpg

I'm not against the punishment as I feel it was necessary, and I agree he never should have used that word. However I don't believe Kyle Larson is a racist and didn't mean any ill intent in his usage of the word, which is where I disagree with the folks saying that the context and intent doesn't matter. I have personal experience from racing with a late model stock car team in Florida that Larson also happened to race for at one time and the team had nothing but good things to say about the guy. I think it's fair for someone to agree with the punishment and acknowledge that a stupid choice was made while still defending his character, when people are going around labeling him a racist and whatever other rude things I've seen.
I am in no way going to call him a racist, but I very much doubt his behavior indicates to anyone that he is anti-racist.

Last edited:
I have watched it, actually quite like it, i can';t watch whole 200 odd laps but can watch the highlights with pleasure...also loved that film with Tom Cruise in it, Cole Trickle....whats it called?

Anyway yeah, but i digress... i do watch it form time to time.

If someone referred to Lewis Hamilton as that....do you think RD should ban them?
Its called days of thunder, also yes i do, well not ban but mute them. however being banned from RD doesnt really equate to getting fired and having your life ruined. He has 12 mil but he wont be able to sustain that with world of outlaws money. (Assuming he owns the team because no one will hire him)

Stupid kid.....He'll be back...he just needs a year or a couple of years off to clear his head and the air and start in Nascar Trucks and work his way back to cars and win back sponsors.....You'll see. I can't believe anyone is shocked by this. It's NASCAR Country! What I am surprise by is that he got fired so quick!..but $$$$$ talks. No free rides baby!

More than the vast majority will earn in a lifetime, I am struggling to find tears here. If you expect that kind of pay, it seems reasonable to have the the basics expected of you
You also dont own houses that you have to pay millions of dollars a year to keep do you? if he good to world of outlaws he would have near enough to pay for them, would you like to lose your home, dont think so

NASCAR is still trying to get away from its "southern/redneck/confederate flag waving" image. NASCAR *was* a very racist environment not so long ago. (If you don't believe me, watch the documentary about Willy T. Ribs on Netflix). In this context, using the "n-word" is a true bonehead thing to do.

I'm quite sure he'll find a ride somewhere else. The whole controversy will die down quickly, considering we have much bigger fish to fry at the moment, not to mention NASCAR won't be back until August, at the earliest.

It's never been ok for a non-black person to say the n-word in any context. Full stop. That he thought it was ok and was comfortable to say it "once" means he's said it other times, in who knows what context. He casually dropped a hard R n-word, there is no attempted excuse of "I heard it rap music."

"No one cared in the 70's-80's" because marginalized groups didn't have the power, the voice or the mechanism to tell you that it was unacceptable.

He suffered consequences, his life isn't ruined, he's not being locked up, he'll recover, and hopefully take this as the learning experience it needs to be. And that lesson needs to be more than just don't say the n-word in public.

Its a dumb f'cking thing to say but firing is equally stupid. Smells like corporate pressure from above to force the team to let him go (looking at you Chevy).

It's not just that he said something stupid. If your friend jokes around and calls you a "dirty Jew" or Arab, or N-word, it says something about who they are that they would casually say something like that. Surely, you don't think that's the first time he's ever used the word.

And no, it's not the same thing as a Black rapper using the word. Nobody thinks a Black rapper hates Black people.

Look, personal responsibility. It's 2020. If you're an adult who is not Black and you're still using that word, it's on you if your life is ruined for it. I think the same would apply if he said something about Jews, Hispanics or Arabs.

If you don't understand the connotations that word carries, especially in the USA, you're either being deliberately obtuse or you're ignorant of the historical context. I don't know which possibility frightens me more, but at least there is something that can be done about the latter. Hopefully this guy's mistake inspires some people to seek out some education.

If you don't understand the connotations that word carries, especially in the USA, you're either being deliberately obtuse or you're ignorant of the historical context. I don't know which possibility frightens me more, but at least there is something that can be done about the latter. Hopefully this guy's mistake inspires some people to seek out some education.
Say it louder so the people in the back can hear

Also another hilarious comment, thanks.
Yeah if it's such a bad word then NO one should say it. That's like saying if he would have said ch*nk it would be ok because he's half Asian? As someone mentioned before, there has to be consistency. Giving a pass to some and condemning others is not logical or fair.

But due to the outrage society of triggered righteous hypocrites, NASCAR had no choice.

Yeah if it's such a bad word then NO one should say it. That's like saying if he would have said ch*nk it would be ok because he's half Asian? As someone mentioned before, there has to be consistency. Giving a pass to some and condemning others is not logical or fair.

But due to the outrage society of triggered righteous hypocrites, NASCAR had no choice.
I bet he thinks only white people can be racist hahahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 15 24.2%