Lotus 49 - Disappointing! :(

Hi all. Is it just me or is the Lotus 49 too stable? In iRacing or GPL, it really drifts around but in AC, it feels stuck to the road so I don't know how realistic it is. Does anyone else feel the same?

i'm on Iracing and follow the AC thread.. .Its all love there. Couple of iracers dont like it but the majority who tried the game like it
Yes, relatively few trolls and mostly positive. There's a poll that has people 2:1 preferring iRacing, but few people go out of their way to bash it. In general, I think a lot of iRacing users are going to want to see a similarly robust online experience from AC if they were to completely change over. I think there's a lot more people interested in both, though.
I don't mean in the l49... I mean in general.. especially the hpd... but yes that was mosport where i compared :D
Gotcha :)

As William said, just try not to put too much stock into laptimes. Sure 10s is probably too much (were you comparing to 2009 laptimes?), but if it's relatively close it's tough to make a conclusion. At the very least, a car matching real world laptimes doesn't necessarily make it any more realistic (F1 201X, for example).
iRacing and GPL are incredibly off the mark when it comes to physics.
You haven't driven the latest tire model, you should ;)

With that said, the HPD on iRacing isn't accurate. First of, it's the older (2008 ?) LMP2, which were much faster than today, and secondly, it has way too much aero grip. Mechanical grip is quite poor, and traction lost is too abrupt, but downforce is definitely overdone. So especially at Mosport it would show.
Hopefully the latest tire update improves that, it sounds like they're reworking the cars a bit while updating the tires.

Why is the car not trying to kill him? How come he never has to countersteer? Those physics are trash.

It's pretty staggering when an Auto Journalist (he isnt the first btw to get track time in this car for a review) can be given a race prepped $500,000+ GT3 car and allowed to drive it in cold damp conditions and he doesnt kill himself.

According to other sims racing cars are best suited for putting you in your grave earlier than you should get there.

Edit- I know alot of people have been killed in their cars, more often than not it was due to lack of HANS devices, safe run off and fiery explosions due to the lack of kevlar encased fuel cells in the old days. Not due to violent acting cars.

I think even if we all disagree on details, we can all agree that under the limit a race car (unless with a horrendous setup) should drive nicely. You know, like a car.
Of course, I was just saying that the reason it looks (and is) so easy is that he isn't pushing. If he was, there would be a bit more work going on at the wheel (look at T1 somewhere in the video when he tried going deeper) :)

I'm not saying the car would be a sliding, almost out of control drift machine, but it definitely would be a bit more squirly.

@DewCrew88, why the "disagree" ? It is true Rossi can't drive a stick, as it is true Chris has plenty of racing experience and wasn't pushing the car to the limit in the video. I think anyone can see that.

However the beauty is that AC drives well under and on the limit
That's what I'm saying, it's good that AC seems to have nailed it out of the box, and also good and long overdue that iRacing has managed similar finally.
Of course, I was just saying that the reason it looks (and is) so easy is that he isn't pushing. If he was, there would be a bit more work going on at the wheel (look at T1 somewhere in the video when he tried going deeper) :)

I'm not saying the car would be a sliding, almost out of control drift machine, but it definitely would be a bit more squirly.
Yes, that's the trouble, isn't it? Very few videos of inexperienced drivers pushing race cars to the limit. It's either professionals at the limit, or newbies driving conservatively so they don't break the half million dollar race car :)

But that's nit picking, I think we're generally in agreement that even if a car gets a little light at the limit they should still stay in line rather than snapping and trying to kill the driver (barring awful setup).

Too bad Rossi can't drive a stick...

By the way, Chris Harris has plenty of racing experience, and he wasn't pushing hard.

FWIW: I realize that any driver in a new car on a partially unfamiliar (updated) circuit won't be at the absolute limit but I think Harris was pushing the car pretty well, actually. He has experience with similar race cars, broke traction several times and you could actually hear some strain in his voice while driving.

However the beauty is that AC drives well under and on the limit

I agree, there is a nice feeling to the friction circle moving around. You certainly know when you've used it all up and you start find the car moving around, quite often in not so pleasant ways :D

It's the most impressive part of AC for me so far that the tyres just seem like tyres no matter what weird things you are doing. Powersliding, braking, donuts, reversing, burnouts etc.
Just that sudden 'stop' when you get near zero velocity is what hurts the visual realism a bit rather than a lovely tapering coast to a stop.

I feel the same way as the O.P. The car feels unpolished and unsatisfying to drive.

Throttle/RPM bug.
Very jerky transitions between grip.
Locking breaks shake my wheel off my desk. :(
Feel like I can't trust the FFB to tell me what the car is doing.
Finite precision.

On the other hand the road cars in A,C feel really, really good!

With iRacing's version of the 49, all of the above aren't present. You can use the throttle to dance the car, there's a plethora of control and FFB response when transitioning between different slip angles!

Last edited:
The Lotus is certainly easier to manage initially in AC, but all the cars are because they just have a more natural feel and for some reason I think it's much easier to judge distances in AC, I just seem to naturally know when to break in AC just from looking at what's in front of me.

I was always really frustrated by the cars in RF2, they just seemed too unstable at any speed. It took too much work to keep them on the racing line, sometimes it's hard to figure out where you're going wrong, whereas I can almost tell beforehand that a mistake is coming in AC.

Actually, on IRL viedos, lotus 49 looks quaite understeery and moderately gripy. So I'd say it is just like in AC. But there in't much onboard footage so I am not sure. But they nailed other cars, so maybe we should trust them ? ;p iceRacing is not a good indicator on cars should drive. The simply made cars hard to drive and that's it (even though I enjoy the online part, I don't enjoy simply driving for pleasure in iRacing, but I do in AC...VERY MUCH).

iceRacing is not a good indicator on cars should drive. The simply made cars hard to drive and that's it (even though I enjoy the online part, I don't enjoy simply driving for pleasure in iRacing, but I do in AC...VERY MUCH).

iRacing has spent a huge amount of time and resources in creating a complex tire model and improving it, I cant even count all the versions and changes made to it. If they simply wanted to make cars hard to drive it would be far easier than that. Actually cars fitted with their latest tire model drive very well in most cases.

The problem with iRacing seems to be that since they have taken the approach to make a very complex tire model, it appears to be hard to fit it to each car and to each condition properly. AC uses a mathematical model instead of tire-construction based model, which can be seen as more general approach and it can therefore be fit to a variety of cars with less effort.

I don't know what approach they took. What is important is what is working. iRacing is getting better but is not quaite there yet. I simply can't take a car for a test session and enjoy driving it in iRacing. I am there only for the competetive side. In AC I spend past 3 days (since I bought it) simply enjoying the pleasure of driving every single car for 8h a day, lol.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.