Tracks Lidar Track Building Strategies - Discussion - Info Pool - Progression

Oooh, even with a file that is on muy drive?

No, textures eat memory... I'd suggest after a number of Blender tutorials, try creating objects and buildings you'll want to use in the stage, and if you're comfortable try assembling a very small stretch of test track before moving on to larger terrain.
I've tested the older Kronos tracks, have to say I found them disappointing (unlike the cars!) but it seems they're working on new tracks a well :)

No, textures eat memory... I'd suggest after a number of Blender tutorials, try creating objects and buildings you'll want to use in the stage, and if you're comfortable try assembling a very small stretch of test track before moving on to larger terrain.
I've tested the older Kronos tracks, have to say I found them disappointing (unlike the cars!) but it seems they're working on new tracks a well :)
They are a bit old but he's also updating a bunch of them, still, they are pretty similar to the real ones unlike a lot of stuff you find, which is good. Thanks for the advice also, i'll get to work!

Oh, i forgot something, what extension do you recommend for the mesh export? stl or fbx? And what kind of images do you used then for background textures?

Last edited:
Hi, good. I wanted to start with something small to try and let go with this method, the problem is that I don't know how to start, I don't know if I have to download an .asc file or what format, then I imagine that I have to put it in CloudCompare.
I think the beginning is what I don't get to understand from the file.thank you

Well, in the end I managed to put it in, I exported to fbx but in blender it is impossible to load, this is because it has many polygons, it is as if it were a photogeometry,
Besides, the heights of the trees come out, which takes more work. I imagine that it will have to be reduced before CloudCompare or after exporting it, nope, it still has this system. But the truth does not look bad, as long as you can reduce polygons to load it in blender and remove the heights like trees or objects

Well, in the end I managed to put it in, I exported to fbx but in blender it is impossible to load, this is because it has many polygons, it is as if it were a photogeometry,
Besides, the heights of the trees come out, which takes more work. I imagine that it will have to be reduced before CloudCompare or after exporting it, nope, it still has this system. But the truth does not look bad, as long as you can reduce polygons to load it in blender and remove the heights like trees or objects
Hey! Where is located the track you are trying to do? I had that same problem but @wimdes managed to do a script to optimize the file a lot! You would have to upload the LIDAR files for him to use the script

Hey! Where is located the track you are trying to do? I had that same problem but @wimdes managed to do a script to optimize the file a lot! You would have to upload the LIDAR files for him to use the script
Well, I want to start it big, one from the Canary Islands, hahaha and do it little by little. This method doesn't look bad at all, it will be more realistic, in rfactor it was in sas planet and gsmh I think it was like that and the elevations were very good, even better than RTB itself. But many times the comfort of RTB, which is easy to create the road and the elevations, leaves us stuck, apart from the fact that everything has its program. In rtb there is everything, you only need a card credit nothing more.

Well, I want to start it big, one from the Canary Islands, hahaha and do it little by little. This method doesn't look bad at all, it will be more realistic, in rfactor it was in sas planet and gsmh I think it was like that and the elevations were very good, even better than RTB itself. But many times the comfort of RTB, which is easy to create the road and the elevations, leaves us stuck, apart from the fact that everything has its program. In rtb there is everything, you only need a card credit nothing more.
Veo que eres español y estoy en tu server, te mandé una petición y así hablamos más fácilmente

For anyone who uses RTB, there's a (relatively) easy way to get lidar data straight in, using geoserver to access a source file. I'm using a 44GB geotiff at the moment. I paint in the road surface at a high level of detail, and the rest of the terrain as much as I think it needs. So rather than have to optimise the mesh, you only extract the detail you need from the source. If anyone's interested, I can point you to how to set it up

For anyone who uses RTB, there's a (relatively) easy way to get lidar data straight in, using geoserver to access a source file. I'm using a 44GB geotiff at the moment. I paint in the road surface at a high level of detail, and the rest of the terrain as much as I think it needs. So rather than have to optimise the mesh, you only extract the detail you need from the source. If anyone's interested, I can point you to how to set it up
would be a awesome addition ! am all ears! much appreciated!

would be a awesome addition ! am all ears! much appreciated!
It takes a bit of setting up to start with, but to use it, I only need to flip a switch and start up RTB as normal and start modelling.

The setup is explained here:

Setting up Geoserver is an addon to this, but isn't too much of a problem. I explain that here:

I've just recently got back into this, so I'll try to get round to updating the explanation and adding some new stuff I've discovered

It takes a bit of setting up to start with, but to use it, I only need to flip a switch and start up RTB as normal and start modelling.

The setup is explained here:

Setting up Geoserver is an addon to this, but isn't too much of a problem. I explain that here:

I've just recently got back into this, so I'll try to get round to updating the explanation and adding some new stuff I've discovered
sounds great, thank you, looking forward to the update ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back