PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

I think the Best Ever Hype gets under people's skin who have a different opinion of the title in question. Especially when it has the type of tone that pushes such quotes as fact rather than opinion and then a bias stigma attaches to it creating more doubts from the retractors.
This is why I am striving to create a tone where I have my preferences and is my opinion of what I like better then the others but still think pretty highly of them all and don't expect anyone to take my opinion as gospel as to where it concerns them. I hope in the end that approach has some credibility. :D

This is why I am striving to create a tone where I have my preferences and is my opinion of what I like better then the others but still think pretty highly of them all and don't expect anyone to take my opinion as gospel as to where it concerns them. I hope in the end that approach has some credibility. :D

Similar to my philosphy and stance. But it didn't stop the rampant and almost personal attacks in reference to my subjective opinion by certain rabid investors. :)
Live and let live I say.
Can't wait for the finished game though.

In current form Pcars cand be very good game for club racing. Most of cars are easier to drive near to limit and at the race speed than for example AC and rF2. Its a game where its just easy to sit and have a nice time after hard time at work without thinking too much.
I think AC and rF2 cars are more challenging and thrilling to drive fast but I fully understand if people prefer Pcars driving experience over them.
Its great to have different games to choose from because there isnt a game that suits everyone's taste. Pick the one you like and let other have different choices and respect their opinions.

It's interesting though how the opinions vary.. as I find many of the cars in Project CARS to be far more challenging than in AC, and I know I'm not alone.. specifically when going for ultimate fast laptimes. Sure, when driving moderate speeds and not pushing like crazy the cars are easier to drive in pCARS but when on the absolute ragged edge it's much harder to be consistent in my opinion.. and the cars can really snap on you when you go for ultimate laptimes. Also the way tire temperatures work in pCARS makes for a much more challenging strategic drive and race than in AC in my opinion. You actually "win" by driving strategically whereas in AC I don't get that feeling.. you never get the tires back to you once they are gone. It's like they don't simulate heating correctly or that tire wear is overbearing or something.

Keep in mind that NONE of the default setups in pCARS can be considered even remotely fast setups.. they are safe and mainly cater to the gamepad drivers. But change the car setup to something that actually gives you fast laptimes and you can get into serious trouble very suddenly.

Part of the difficulty in AC for driving some of the cars are the numerous "WTF happened??" moments, at least in some of the cars (I'm looking at you, you bastard MP4-12C!).

Part of the difficulty in AC for driving some of the cars are the numerous "WTF happened??" moments, at least in some of the cars (I'm looking at you, you bastard MP4-12C!).

I don't find that at all. But I used to have WTF moments in Iracing ;) I also find GSCE and Formula Trucks(and Race 07) have those moments too and perhaps they have made the racing a bit too hard without some form of TC, ABS and/or low stab driving aids. Like many have come to realise, making a sim harder to drive is not actually the best way of having a fun race. Sometimes the enjoyment is taken away in the pursuit of absolute realism and being sim elitist. Leaving only the dedicated capable of winning whilst spoiling it for the normal people. :)

I'd rather have a clean fair race with other racers without having to worry about spinning off at every opportunity. That way you can have long, enjoyable races, dicing for position, pitstops etc without the absolute realism that is needed or imagined just because someones says so. But always in cockpit view ;) just for realism and then no one has an advantage.

I am hoping Pcars can be raced hard but not be too hard if you know what I mean unless you really change the setups to make it so. A middle ground if you will.
:)

Last edited:
In current form Pcars cand be very good game for club racing. Most of cars are easier to drive near to limit and at the race speed than for example AC and rF2. Its a game where its just easy to sit and have a nice time after hard time at work without thinking too much.
I think AC and rF2 cars are more challenging and thrilling to drive fast but I fully understand if people prefer Pcars driving experience over them.
Its great to have different games to choose from because there isnt a game that suits everyone's taste. Pick the one you like and let other have different choices and respect their opinions.
The only thing wrong with this post is close to the end
(Pick the "ONE" you like)
Why not pick many and enjoy them all within the capacities of your own tastes.
Also
(let other have different choices and respect their opinions)
(personal attacks in reference to my subjective opinions)
Not everyone will adhere perfectly to these principles especially before mutual understandings are created as to what message someone may be attempting to deliver which may have been seen as an attack in the first place. However once others see such opinions as genuine and constructive (not trolling) they should be respected. Respect is something that in most cases needs to be earned and there are some in these forums that it took a little bit for them to earn my respect and most likely vice versa. With things that have been moved past.

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with this post is close to the end
(Pick the "ONE" you like)
Why not pick many and enjoy them all within the capacities of your own tastes.

Agreed :)

Also
(let other have different choices and respect their opinions)
(personal attacks in reference to my subjective opinions)

Totally agreed. :)

Respect is something that in most cases needs to be earned and there are some in these forums that it took a little bit for them to earn my respect and most likely vice versa. With things that have been moved past.

Hmmm, I wonder who you are referring to? ;)

Good post.

It's very simple. If you want a Ferrari F40 but lack the million dollars, get AC and you'll be pretty close. If you want multiplayer racing where sparks fly and bumpers are being torn off, ger pCars. I like both ideas, just different styles.

I tested the latest build today and guess what? I think they need the delayed release. It seems worse now than it was a year ago.
Seriously, after months of Assetto Corsa and RRE and GSCE, going to Pcars was a real let down. Even the graphics seem washed out and not as detailed as the others sims. That was on max everything too.
Anyways I tried the MP4 GT3 car at Imola and then went back to the Asetto Corsa version at the same track and honestly, in my opinion AC is miles better at the moment.
The graphics are better in AC, the physics are in a different class and the FFB is way better in AC.

I hope this changes soon. I was looking forward to buying Pcars and I still am, but it needs some serious work.

I all honesty, right now, I think AC is far better in all respects in my subjective opinion.

The problem with iRacing is that the FFB doesn't fully convey the tyres losing grip. The rate and manner that they lose grip though is spot on in iRacing. It's always dangerous trying to fudge tyre models to deliver improved FFB - and making the tyres perform less correctly.

Check out this video - combined with telemetry - I made some time ago. This was with NTMv4 (we are on 5 now).

Nice post Chris. I recently returned to iRacing and find the latest tire model to have better low speed control and better feel of loss of grip too. The loss of grip feel still isn't nearly as good as RF2, which is disappointing since iRacing is priced as a premium title, but it has come a long way.

Here are some of my high and low points of Pcars.

High:
+ Graphics are great. Its tight fight between Pcars and AC but I give the edge to Pcars.
+ Damage modelling. Both physical and visual damage is very nicely done but its seems to change from build to build.
+ Steering has good feeling of weight and resistance
+ Great amount of tracks and very good variety of cars
+Immersion factor while driving cars like Audi 18Tdi
+ Good game to just pick up and drive in club races. Cars are easy to drive so you are less likely to end your own or fellow drivers race if you drive sensible.

Low:
- Some physic issue. Many cars seem to have slight self righting mechanism making the RWD car feel almost like FWD/AWD car in situations where you loose control/grip.
- FFB is not as detailed as its main rivals. Effects are there but they are not clear and sharp enough.
- Grip levels. Grass and some cars like GT3´s are too grippy making the cars too easy to drive. In Pcars GT3 car easier to drive and more grippier without any assistance than for example AC´s GT3 cars with default driving assistance.
- Not as exciting to drive as AC, R3E or rF2

My main issue with the Pcars that the physic just dont feel quite right to me. Its not far from good but makes me wonder if I buy the retail version. I mostly do my driving in online league races so I wait and see how popular the Pcars online league racing is before making buying decision. Pcars will probably sell well but its not the perfect game to all humans and aliens alike. :)

@Ole: Pcars in clear weather Silverstone with 20 AI cars with GTX 970 video card will run over 50 FPS. Almost all settings ultra minus the detailed grass and some blurring effects.

Last edited:
That,s a 180 degree change from you point off view allover-sadden

I know it is. I'm quite shocked too. I really hope it changes for the better. In my subjective opinion, it won't get my attention when I have AC, GSCE, Formula Trucks, RRE or Race 07 on my choice list. Honestly it feels quite poor at this present time. The only thing I can make out is perhaps the latest build is a bit broken.

I will test the next build and do some more optimisation. Hopefully it will feel better.

What does -sadden mean? Can't you just pick a smiley? ;)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 135 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.0%