PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

just based on my experience w/ the z4 in both AC & iracing, not sure i like the sound of it being relatively difficult to drive...

are they still aiming for a 2014 release?? im doing pretty well at keeping my expectations low but so much potential. either way really looking forward to it.

Yes--Nov 2014 I think.

The Z4 GT3 is really only difficult right now under heavy braking/ trail braking. I don't believe that is a design target and I think they will sort that out. I hope so at least because it is definitely very hard to manage with the default set up.

The Z4 GT3 will break loose with power-on oversteer more readily than the one in AC. That too may change but right now the pCars GT3 models will all oversteer more readily than the ones in AC so you have to be more sensitive with your right foot--which is of course the second most troublesome body part for the average human male ....

I've ran quit a few laps at a few tracks, it can be a little bit of a beast at times but overall a good first past, I wouldn't bother comparing the rf2 version as it's characteristics are different being a newer model and from the videos I've watched on the rl Clio cup website the drivers say it's much more difficult to drive than the past models, faster no abs etc.
I look forward to Nics feedback as he's competed in the Clio series :)

Looks like the car jumping bug with tire wear is getting stomped out soon ;)

"When you get hold of R17, report unnatural jumps if you get them, but don't worry too much about them.

It is a known issue but is not fixed on R17. It is actually a model issue, so technically any tire might do it right now. It will be fixed soon.
We know the problem."

Build nr: 736.

" Next revision of tire for GT3, GT4, TC, LMP1, LMP2, Ginetta G40 and Zonda R.(initial reports are good!)"

"The joy of driving the cars is back with today's build, the tyres feel a lot better now, even on cars i thought weren't affected (but they were!), like cat classic"

" optimum temperatures, which seem to be 85-90C for the softs atm,
seems to be a very good revision."

"Quick check on the M3 GT4, M3 GT and 12C.. and yes they are much better, more progressive but without making them easy"

To test cold tire You have to start in practice session....a start in race session gives you optimal temp at start.

And You need full damage enabled (for tire to degrade).

Cold tire should handle like crap.....optimal around 85-90C on soft tire.

"One important thing to note on these new tires is to take a little care during the heating phase.
Grip is pretty low when below optimum and if you abuse them when getting up to temp
it can be very difficult to recover;
most often you will burn the fronts before the rears get up to temp,
starting a downward spiral of understeer as the fronts are overworked trying to heat the rears.
My advice is to do two or three firm but smooth laps to start and get them up to at least 70C before starting to push hard."

:)

Last edited:
You should definitely try the GT3 cars with the new tires from today.

The new tires are much different than the last default set for the GT3s. Regarding the AC comparison I made earlier--- these new GT3 tires in pCars make the Z4 and 12C GT3 grip more like the AC models. No trail braking issues, less power on oversteer (although it still can be provoked if very aggressive). They feel good!

Quick test on Full SIM mode,world movement changed to 100, exposure/gamma set 50.
GT3 cars... the BMW, Merc and McLaren all feel solid,
the Ginetta is sideways in every turn lol.

The Ginetta feels 500 punds lighter (might be RL ?) and handles like its driving in rain.

Is it a default car setting problem ,less down force, cockpit camera, bias ? Or am I loosing my mind driving in circles for to long ;)

Edit:
The McLaren at 9 am, Green Hell, light cloud, solo, really really LOUD in my QSC K8 speakers :)

Last edited:
I ran a few laps last night......
The new new setup adjustments for the Clio makes it much tamer on braking as the rear doesn't want to come around as much and the car doesn't slide as much through fast corners.
Audi r8 ultra was fantastic and really enjoyed the feel!
I tried the mustang but come to grips with it? I felt I could only drive with about 50% throttle and couldn't get the tires heated up after multiple laps, when ever I tried to push it the rear would come around.
Graphically the dynamic weather is just beautiful and the track optimization is coming along quite well. I did a little test to see how the game looked with no AA and asides from the odd jaggies there wasn't to much of a difference with MSAA though I did look smoother with it .
I look forward to the new menu screens with added sliders as I'd really like to lighten the wheel weight without lowering the FFb strength. Iam sure I could use the f1 menu but I like to keep things as close to stock as possible during testing.

I ran a few laps last night......
The new new setup adjustments for the Clio makes it much tamer on braking as the rear doesn't want to come around as much and the car doesn't slide as much through fast corners.
Audi r8 ultra was fantastic and really enjoyed the feel!
I tried the mustang but come to grips with it? I felt I could only drive with about 50% throttle and couldn't get the tires heated up after multiple laps, when ever I tried to push it the rear would come around.
Graphically the dynamic weather is just beautiful and the track optimization is coming along quite well. I did a little test to see how the game looked with no AA and asides from the odd jaggies there wasn't to much of a difference with MSAA though I did look smoother with it .
I look forward to the new menu screens with added sliders as I'd really like to lighten the wheel weight without lowering the FFb strength. Iam sure I could use the f1 menu but I like to keep things as close to stock as possible during testing.

The R8 ultra is indeed awesome to drive. I think all that tire modeling work by AJ guided by Ben Collins and Nic Hamilton is now paying off. I agree with you for now that it's best to drive stock while under development. In fact I think they should consider disabling the F1 menu for now as it introduces too many variables.

did a quick build test the other day and yep its still pretty , the ffb has improved ...Ai are still retarded, ai physics are still really bad ..but some improvements ...

Andi

Sounds about right, no FFB optimizing has started yet (but there was talk a few days ago about starting FFB work on the Formula C car now that tire testing looks to see the light at the end of the tunnel with tire nr17 for that car).

And AI is missing the apex on most tracks (with track lofts still getting changed on a regular basis after RL input from pros and members with RL experience),

You see the AI drive in the grass some turns, drive wide every time on some turns, but there is some tracks where the path is good ;)

The AI uses a simplified physic set, its a necessity as there is not enough processing power to run the full player physics for that many cars.

I think that is correct.

It obviously depend on Your rig, but most sim racers don't run a Blue Gene P :confused:

IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea