PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

Well like you say I am not a Pro Beta Tester nor have I developed software or racing simulation. While in my younger years I was involved with motorsports hobbies(Mainly Offroad) I have never Professionally Raced on Tarmac or Dirt for that matter. We did do some underground racing out in the woods for purse money. So I would say there are others that could give more useful feedback than me? I really have never been one to put tons of effort into car setup and just want to jump in and drive and we may be getting very close for users to start submitting their custom setups for reference(I think some of the default Setups could use some work).
The state of the forums are as such that there are so many posts that it is becoming difficult for the developers to sift through all of it to find material with relevance or posted in a manner they can make use of it beyond just our opinions and having some in depth detail on how to potentially correct or improve the issue at hand.

I think SMS is just at a point they feel they need to make best use of every minute available to them from here until ship time to ensure the best possible product they can.

So for me I am just staying out of their way and enjoying the other areas of the forums and have the mindset it will be what it will be. It has been a long time since I have been totally disappointed by a piece of content or the handling and physics overall and see things steadily improve and I have faith. So really I can just lean back(figuratively) and not have too many worries about it.

Well like you say I am not a Pro Beta Tester nor have I developed software or racing simulation. While in my younger years I was involved with motorsports hobbies(Mainly Offroad) I have never Professionally Raced on Tarmac or Dirt for that matter. We did do some underground racing out in the woods for purse money. So I would say there are others that could give more useful feedback than me? I really have never been one to put tons of effort into car setup and just want to jump in and drive and we may be getting very close for users to start submitting their custom setups for reference(I think some of the default Setups could use some work).
The state of the forums are as such that there are so many posts that it is becoming difficult for the developers to sift through all of it to find material with relevance or posted in a manner they can make use of it beyond just our opinions and having some in depth detail on how to potentially correct or improve the issue at hand.

I think SMS is just at a point they feel they need to make best use of every minute available to them from here until ship time to ensure the best possible product they can.

So for me I am just staying out of their way and enjoying the other areas of the forums and have the mindset it will be what it will be. It has been a long time since I have been totally disappointed by a piece of content or the handling and physics overall and see things steadily improve and I have faith. So really I can just lean back(figuratively) and not have too many worries about it.
My experience is not unlike yours, growing up - we had access to various motorized recreational vehicles such as motorcycles, mini-bikes, snowmobiles and ATV's, along with some beater cars that we could abuse on our own property. We were able to learn basic vehicle control very quickly because we commonly exceeded limitations without serious consequences and learned to identify edge of control. While that experience was rarely on pavement (tarmac), the basic fundamentals of vehicle control remain the same.

I agree with your points regarding the progress of Pcars development and look forward to the final product.

One thing that I haven't tried for a while was driving in rain and I noticed some really nice spray effects coming form lead vehicles. With so many variations in weather and lighting, there is still much to discover as development continues.

Well this morning, did some Nord time in the zakspeed Capri. Great handling car and good FFB with this one. Quite impressed actually. The car can bite you though as I found out on a couple of occasions. The FFB made a good impression when the rear end did let go I must admit. The sound of the Capri in the latest build seems to have improved for me. It sounds wonderful. Really enjoyed it.

ss091720_zpsc22c458a.png

ss091953_zpsaba8c967.png

ss092705_zpsd277e611.png

ss092330_zpsde86d22a.png

ss092532_zps2ef38125.png

I've been farting about with the Ai a bit recently, it's very hit and miss with a lot of off tracking excursions! But I found a good combo for me, Brands Indy in the M3 GT4, I'm not the fastest but once I dialled the Ai settings to my pace I had some pretty good racing there, Ai stayed on the black stuff which was good! ;) I could see the Ai get a bit squirrelly on the exit of Graham Hill corner a few times.

I've been farting about with the Ai a bit recently, it's very hit and miss with a lot of off tracking excursions! But I found a good combo for me, Brands Indy in the M3 GT4, I'm not the fastest but once I dialled the Ai settings to my pace I had some pretty good racing there, Ai stayed on the black stuff which was good! ;) I could see the Ai get a bit squirrelly on the exit of Graham Hill corner a few times.

You might check the Atoms (with regards to the AI). There was an update to the AI suspension and tires recently:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?11751-Physics-Releases&p=690243&viewfull=1#post690243

I tried the V8 atom the other day after seeing it on ISR, and dang that thing is awesome! I have to admit that it's some of the most fun I've had in a simcar in a very long time (outside actually racing others that is)!
Wonderful!! There are others that are pretty darn great as well and some I think need a thing or 2 but there are great examples of what this title can be within. Just gotta dive in and find em.

I tried driving the 500 atom and Ford Sierra and the worst of Shift2 is still there, ie, horrid torque steer{which ruined the 427 Cobra}.
The cars all feel all over the place and some feel like they're still pivoting on a turntable.

I then jumped into GSCe and was met with incredible precision/FFB detail and a natural driving model.

No I'm specifically referring to the cars engine torquing the chassis across the tracks vs poor front end handling.
ok, I thought torque steer was used specifically to describe when the torque from acceleration pulls the steering wheels any direction and that it only can happen when there's drive steering same wheels, as on a FWD. What you described I would call you carrying to much speed in the corner forcing understeer. But I'm not saying I'm right, just that this is how I have interpreted it.

Yesterday I tried a stormy 7pm Nordshliefe run. Just as a test. By eck it were good fun. I didn't think I would experience the effect, but the FFB did simulate aqua planing to a good degree, losing traction on one side momentarily when going through a puddle. Very very good. The storm weather effects are superb I must admit. But the feeling of balancing a car on a wet road with standing water is done good. I am pleasantly happy with the handling on a wet road.

storm2_zpse5dfff54.png

storm3_zpsd8ed826e.png

storm1_zps13725f30.png

storm4_zps5a430fdc.png

I tried driving the 500 atom and Ford Sierra and the worst of Shift2 is still there, ie, horrid torque steer{which ruined the 427 Cobra}.
The cars all feel all over the place and some feel like they're still pivoting on a turntable.

I then jumped into GSCe and was met with incredible precision/FFB detail and a natural driving model.

I would recommend checking out the Formula Gulf F1000. it has the recent gearbox work and tire updates.

As for the Atom 500, Atom's in general have a light front end so they are subject to power understeer (i.e. understeering while on throttle since the weight of the vehicle moves rearward). The Atom 500 with almost 500hp makes that problem worse so I would expect more noticeable power understeer with that car compared to others. I gd agree it's a little too much at the moment, but mainly what's needed for the Atoms is a little more lift-off oversteer.

I would recommend checking out the Formula Gulf F1000. it has the recent gearbox work and tire updates.

As for the Atom 500, Atom's in general have a light front end so they are subject to power understeer (i.e. understeering while on throttle since the weight of the vehicle moves rearward). The Atom 500 with almost 500hp makes that problem worse so I would expect more noticeable power understeer with that car compared to others. I gd agree it's a little too much at the moment, but mainly what's needed for the Atoms is a little more lift-off oversteer.
Well I hadn't driven any of the Ariel's for quite some time until I watched a Vid. by Gamer Muscle and just wanted to see what he though was a good car in pCARS and while I think there are quite a few good cars I have to agree the Ariel was quite nice as well.
Over time especially with the high downforce open wheel cars that tire grip changes have had strong effects of the aero weight of the car so I have found some of them to be hit or miss from week to week. However my last test of the Formula C with the newest tire was pretty good. The heat transition of the tire I feel is playing a bit of a factor ATM with tire characteristics and I think what want to be avoided is tires that start out like Hockey Pucks and end up shredding due to excessive heat.

Sounds like there is a lot of love for the M3 in last build.

"I totally agree with Ben about the M3 GT3, it's such a blast to drive and everything about it feels very organic. By far my favorite race car in the game right now."

Also with the GT3 rain tire.

On Formula C the new R16 tire " less predictable to drive than the R15 so i felt this was not the right direction"

I liked the R15 tire on the FC but it was probably a little to good :)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Saturday

Votes: 34 48.6%