LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Thank you for creating such an amazing track. Is it possible to have specific AI cars try to pass over the double yellow line in the two way traffic map? I'm imagining having a group of normal traffic cars going with the flow of traffic, while a few exotics are weaving in and out of traffic during track day. I can set the level and aggression of each car in CM, but I haven't figured out how to get an AI car to pass over thr double yellow. Thanks!

Where can I download version 1.0?
You want the Less Optimised, Incompatible version why?
These versions are deleted now, so people can stick to the latest compatibile version.
Hi all, when trying to load into the two way traffic map I get an error saying "AC ran into a critical error. CANNOT HAVE 0 CARS IN RACE.INI"

Any suggestions or am I being a wally?
The clue is in the error message, you can't have a Race without setting at least 1 AI opponent! Bit of an easy 'Race' !

Thank you for creating such an amazing track. Is it possible to have specific AI cars try to pass over the double yellow line in the two way traffic map? I'm imagining having a group of normal traffic cars going with the flow of traffic, while a few exotics are weaving in and out of traffic during track day. I can set the level and aggression of each car in CM, but I haven't figured out how to get an AI car to pass over thr double yellow. Thanks!
Thanks, yes it is possible, If you want lots of dumb collisions, yes it's possible,
Search on Race Department for LA Canyons & 2Way Traffic (it's a free traffic version not made by myself)

Assetto AI are as blind as a bat, and do not overtake when they see it's safe to do so. They are NOT programmed to look for oncoming, they are programmed for Racing on Race Tracks in one direction... Not real roads! That's why I've stopped them from overtaking on my traffic layouts.

If you want amazing traffic, on all roads, racing friends through Two-Way Traffic...
get online on the
*** Cruisin USA servers *** (you need the latest CSP version)

Huge thanks to all the guys who made online traffic a thing (sorry I don't know who), Mal for hosting all the Cruisin USA servers, and to @Gunja for recording all the AI lines for the side roads (including ALL 25 miles of Angeles Crest).

Cruisin USA servers really are the Ultimate LA Canyons traffic experience!

Hi I hope everyone is doing well in 2022. It's certainly being a challenging one.

I'm not going to go into the details, but up until now 2022 has personally been a pretty shitty year! Although nowhere near as bad a year as those in Ukraine have been going through. Slava Ukraini

Talking of Ukraine, if you've helped support my work by getting any LA Canyons VIP Packs, or have sent a voluntary amount for Pacific Coast Extras...

Between... November 2021 - March 2022...

I sent all your support to a Ukraine Refugee appeal. (Disaster Emergency Commitee or DEC). The British Government matched my donation... So without talking about amounts, it worked out a few hundred Ukrainian families got blankets and food in their time of extreme need, while you were driving in the Canyons.

So a big thank you on behalf of those who you or I will likely never meet, who were helped by your support of LA Canyons. Cheers boys and girls

If you sent £0.00 for PCH Extras... Or downloaded or hosted LAC VIP illegally... You helped absolutely no-one!

I will only be thanking select people in the future.... Maybe with this road in Colorado...
Extremely rough in game shots, built using around 9 billion LiDAR elevation points quickly dumped into the KsEditor. I won't say how quick as I won't be doing requests!
Around 25 miles long, 250km² of extreme terrain, this lambo can make it in around 12 minutes.
Assetto_Corsa_Colorado_1.jpg

Assetto_Corsa_Colorado_2.jpg

Anyway this is another story, something for it's own thread at a later date. Idiots need not apply! Pacific Coast Extras have worked as intended to filter out the chaff.

For now, I hope your 2022 is going well... and hopefully more info will follow later :)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi I hope everyone is doing well in 2022. It's certainly being a challenging one.

I'm not going to go into the details, but up until now 2022 has personally been a pretty shitty year! Although nowhere near as bad a year as those in Ukraine have been going through. Slava Ukraini

Talking of Ukraine, if you've helped support my work by getting any LA Canyons VIP Packs, or have sent a voluntary amount for Pacific Coast Extras...

Between... November 2021 - March 2022...

I sent all your support to a Ukraine Refugee appeal. (Disaster Emergency Commitee or DEC). The British Government matched my donation... So without talking about amounts, it worked out a few hundred Ukrainian families got blankets and food in their time of extreme need, while you were driving in the Canyons.

So a big thank you on behalf of those who you or I will likely never meet, who were helped by your support of LA Canyons. Cheers boys and girls

If you sent £0.00 for PCH Extras... Or downloaded or hosted LAC VIP illegally... You helped absolutely no-one!

I will only be thanking select people in the future.... Maybe with this road in Colorado...
Extremely rough in game shots, built using around 9 billion LiDAR elevation points quickly dumped into the KsEditor. I won't say how quick as I won't be doing requests!
Around 25 miles long, 250km² of extreme terrain, this lambo can make it in around 12 minutes.
View attachment 617922
View attachment 617923
Anyway this is another story, something for it's own thread at a later date. Idiots need not apply! Pacific Coast Extras have worked as intended to filter out the chaff.

For now, I hope your 2022 is going well... and hopefully more info will follow later :)
Cheers!
@Phoenix77 Unfortunately, it appears I purchased my LA Canyons VIP outside your donation period (February, 2020), but I was inspired by your generosity so I made my own donation to Disaster Emergency Commitee. If anyone cares to do the same, this is the link to do so.

LA Canyons is a masterpiece and I drive it all the time. I haven't really done much with Pacific Coast (I hope that's not perceived negatively), but I'll give it another look.

While watching this thread, it appears you get a load of grief for charging for portions of your work. I can't imagine why anyone would mind paying for such a high quality product, but I suppose some folks are just wired to complain. I certainly hope that doesn't damper your enthusiasm for continuing to create content for the community. It's topnotch stuff and it brings me a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment. Please know that some/most of us really appreciate it and don't mind paying.

Warm regards,
Robert

@Phoenix77 Unfortunately, it appears I purchased my LA Canyons VIP outside your donation period (February, 2020), but I was inspired by your generosity so I made my own donation to Disaster Emergency Commitee. If anyone cares to do the same, this is the link to do so.

LA Canyons is a masterpiece and I drive it all the time. I haven't really done much with Pacific Coast (I hope that's not perceived negatively), but I'll give it another look.

While watching this thread, it appears you get a load of grief for charging for portions of your work. I can't imagine why anyone would mind paying for such a high quality product, but I suppose some folks are just wired to complain. I certainly hope that doesn't damper your enthusiasm for continuing to create content for the community. It's topnotch stuff and it brings me a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment. Please know that some/most of us really appreciate it and don't mind paying.

Warm regards,
Robert
@PremiumFantasy Thanks for your awesome message Robert, and your donation to the DEC , glad you found my donation inspirational. A wise man once said "Sharing is Caring". Although your support wasn't within the time I mentioned, my donation was pretty much from all LA Canyons supporters who have helped keep the store remaining a viable option.

Your positive attitude and supporting message have put you on the Carbon 100 list Robert... Feel free to inbox me here on RD with your email address and I'll add you to the list. (if you're not already on it... Difficult for me to link RD accounts to emails)

(There are a few people who liked my original message who are already Carbon :) cheers dudes you've been awesome! You know who you are, and so do I :cool: Thanks for your support! A thank you will be coming)

These are just the terrain / roadside bushes in the KsEditor.
No CSP goodness, GrassFX... Proper clouds etc.
bushes_var_alternate.jpg
bushes_var_alternate2.jpg
cloudburst_terrain_bushes_only.jpg
main_terrain_bushes_only.jpg
I couldn't load anything else in as well, as the editor is only 32 Bit.
Hello @Kunos, any chance of an x64 KsEditor? Pretty please :)

Quick in game with an Aston Martin...
Screenshot_as_aston_martin_victor_la_canyons_20-10-122-22-9-43.jpg

Got some rough edges to sort out, 115km of roadlines are all separate objects. and also need a bit of a tidy up. My terrain 'Scrub' texture is also a placeholder to get an idea how it's working, along with the better version of the satellite image mixed in.

The grief I've got in this thread hasn't really been the issue, maybe 1% are ..... (use your own words for them), but with over 400,000 downloads 1% ends up being a large amount of ....'s quite quickly. Forgetting about the lowest level people, most people have been great, and the top few percent have been awesome!

The last few years the issue has been available time. For larger projects like LA Canyons, I need reasonably large time windows, and need at least a few of them in any one week. Just to stay on top of everything, otherwise it's easy to lose where you are, what the latest file versions are etc. and then it's easy for errors to creep in.

Even though free time has been almost impossible over most of 2022 and the 2 years proceeding... The small amount of time has pushed me into investigating LiDAR. This will eliminate around 4-6 weeks off the development time of future projects, whenever they may happen. As well as Colorado, I also have 956km² of Wyoming / Utah border, accurate to around 5-10cms (6 billion elevation points) (WYO Project folder is around 100gb's).

I was only looking for 1.0 just to use it with the free traffic version. But after reading your last messages I decided to buy the Silver version. Now my 1.2 works just like I wanted! Thanks for everything! I hope your 2022 ends well!
No worries mate, thanks for the support. Glad it's working just like you want it to.
Thanks... and I hope the rest of your 2022 goes well, I think it's been a bit of a stinker for lots of people. Here's to better times :)

A Few traffic tips:
AI skill above 80%. Higher is good as it helps push the AI through a 52 mile, 4m wide track
(I split the whole track down the middle when recording traffic AI lines, so they will never overtake)

AI Agression 50% or higher. Again higher Agression helps push the AI through the narrow, single lane.

If using TRACKDAY.... Only use around 10 AI opponents, Turn off Fuel Consumption.
If cars keep breaking, and are stationary, turning off damage may help. or remove the offending cars.

:whistling:I'm now adding dead bush to the Canyons. A canyons without cactus and dead bush is not a true canyon:roflmao:View attachment 622889
i'm pretty sure i put a few dead ones here and there :rolleyes:

while i appreciate the effort
i'm a bit unsure about how i feel about it
Opening someone else creation and trying to improve it...
like me opening the NFS cars from Dan, and editing the mesh or adding a spoiler ?
Probably not the best idea :)

i'm pretty sure i put a few dead ones here and there :rolleyes:

while i appreciate the effort
i'm a bit unsure about how i feel about it
Opening someone else creation and trying to improve it...
like me opening the NFS cars from Dan, and editing the mesh or adding a spoiler ?
Probably not the best idea :)
I think the worst idea is when you upload someone's creation without their permission making them feel bad for sure.

When I "touch" someone track in Blender I mod it exclusively to my specifications and my wishes and never share my personal touches with the rest of the world because I consider my mods very personal. Even if the creator of LA Canyons asks me to upload the dead bushes and cactuses to RD I will say no. But if he asks me for help in one of his creations I could help him:thumbsup:

So, if you do not upload and share it, then why would you make a post telling ppl about it here?
Showing off?
Just because you can?
It seems a bit disrespectful to the creator of the mod to me...
I'm pretty sure Ben doesn't need your ''help'' and will never ask for it.
Don't get this wrong please, you do whatever you want with your PC and the files that are on it.
I think most of us tinker and ''mod'' all sorts of stuff in AC, but I also think most of us would agree that Ben's work is pretty flawless.
Anyway..., don't take it the wrong way.
Just my little reaction...
I wish everybody a merry Christmas and a good next year. :laugh:

So, if you do not upload and share it, then why would you make a post telling ppl about it here?
Showing off?

Why should I upload it ? Those are my 3D cactuses and dead bushes I wanted to show him I planted all over the dirt ground on the track:p

I don't see nothing wrong.

Showing off?

Yes:roflmao:

I'm pretty sure Ben doesn't need your ''help'' and will never ask for it.

You would never know that for sure. But remember, I used the word "I could" which implies two possible events: a YES or a NO on my part if he ask. I'm pretty sure he can do anything without anyone help while building his tracks.

Also I'm not really interested in participate developing race track with anyone here because I just like "adding" simple stuffs like 3D flowers, trees, bushes and cactuses instead of the 2D ones.

It seems a bit disrespectful to the creator of the mod to me...

I don't see "adding" my personal 3D assets and not wanted to share as disrespectful. Now, "modifying" his work and uploading it here or whatever website without his permission is a big disrespectful action.

I think most of us tinker and ''mod'' all sorts of stuff in AC, but I also think most of us would agree that Ben's work is pretty flawless.

I'm I agree with you on that. His work is definitely flawless but I wanted two things he probably forgot while he was working on the track. I wanted 3D cactuses and dead bushes because they boots my immersion and happiness while I try to beat my own record of 13 minutes with my pink Mitsubishi Lancer Evo TimeAttack:roflmao:

Happy holydays bro and sisters:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
@dionys19 Interesting views with the cacti... Unfortunately there are none anywhere in the area covered by this mod... https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3003052,-118.0950677,12.42z
lac_area.jpg
If you spot even one Cacti on google street view in the Angeles Forest, you'll win the internet for the day. ;) But if you like the area with them, that is your choice. If you can see Cacti... you're driving too slow! :laugh:

Regarding dead bushes, they're more accurate to the real area... But... unfortunately, due to CSP rain effects being used too frequently in LA Canyons... The bushes have had all the water they'll ever need to grow! So... No dead bushes.

Regarding opening up other peoples work, maybe you don't know this, but it's very often frowned upon. Probably because there is A LOT of asset theft, particularly texture theft. This is why a certain free 'Motorway' track will likely NEVER be allowed on Race Department, and also probably the only reason it is available for free. Unless they were given permission by the games developers it's taken from (I doubt it) it's effectively others work, which has been stolen!

Unfortunately (not directing this at you) there's a scummy side to the mod / rip scene, and this is one of the big reasons many modders leave... So everyone in the end loses out from the exodus of a huge amount of talent and dedicated modders giving up.

Note: to who this concerns!
(I've been watermarking ALL my textures, some obviously, some extremely discretely!)
Those who use my textures/work illegally may face legal action, taken in due course, at a time of my choosing. Don't be lazy, do all of your own work before sticking a 'donate' button on 'your' mod.

Case in point... Route-Du-Valinouet

Thanks to everyone who informs me of people using my work without permission!
Illegal conversions etc.

Last edited:
Here's a few screens of how things are going... Basically new terrain and road textures/shaders (all watermarked!). All these shots are just using the Kunos Default filter. Taking processes learnt and refined from work on Pacific Coast... and a few new tricks.
huracan_angeles_crest_mid.jpg

viper_upper_big_tujunga.jpg
viper_upper_big_tujunga_2.jpg
huracan_angeles_crest_lower.jpg
megane_angeles_crest_mid.jpg

viper_upper_big_tujunga_3.jpg
angeles_forest.jpg

I think it's safe to say, LA Canyons 1.2's textures are in comparison... A little flat!
The much better road specular (shine) also works better at night, with headlights doing what they should be doing, lighting the way more.

Anyway, I hope you have a happy festive season, and that 2023 is a good one! (fingers crossed) Cheers!

Last edited:
same for me

The same advice below.... V V V V
With the addition of... Don't drag and drop into CM.

try read the FAQ on the main page
then the how to install a mod
or the documentation that comes with the download, make sure it's correctly placed on your explorer
make sure to use a default kunos car etc. etc.
If you have no documentation, you downloaded from somewhere else.
If so, there is also no guarantee you'll have all the correct files, in the correct places.

if it's crashing only for you, chances are, you didn't do everything correctly :)
but chances also are... try a different CSP version, sol etc. that often mess with mods
If all else fails, try verifying your game files on Steam

@dionys19 Interesting views with the cacti... Unfortunately there are none anywhere in the area covered by this mod... https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3003052,-118.0950677,12.42z
View attachment 625328
If you spot even one Cacti on google street view in the Angeles Forest, you'll win the internet for the day. ;) But if you like the area with them, that is your choice. If you can see Cacti... you're driving too slow! :laugh:

Regarding dead bushes, they're more accurate to the real area... But... unfortunately, due to CSP rain effects being used too frequently in LA Canyons... The bushes have had all the water they'll ever need to grow! So... No dead bushes.

Regarding opening up other peoples work, maybe you don't know this, but it's very often frowned upon. Probably because there is A LOT of asset theft, particularly texture theft. This is why a certain free 'Motorway' track will likely NEVER be allowed on Race Department, and also probably the only reason it is available for free. Unless they were given permission by the games developers it's taken from (I doubt it) it's effectively others work, which has been stolen!

Unfortunately (not directing this at you) there's a scummy side to the mod / rip scene, and this is one of the big reasons many modders leave... So everyone in the end loses out from the exodus of a huge amount of talent and dedicated modders giving up.

Note: to who this concerns!
(I've been watermarking ALL my textures, some obviously, some extremely discretely!)
Those who use my textures/work illegally may face legal action, taken in due course, at a time of my choosing. Don't be lazy, do all of your own work before sticking a 'donate' button on 'your' mod.

Case in point... Route-Du-Valinouet

Thanks to everyone who informs me of people using my work without permission!
Illegal conversions etc.

Yes I know the situation of people stealing textures from others games or modders.

For my textures I always use my own camera to take pictures specially my outside grass and dirt ground without the direct sunlight or cloudy days. For trees, there is a lot of free PNG trees or I buy the package of 8K trees in Blender Market.

For generating my onw bumpmaps, heightmap and specular maps I use three softwares:

MindTex 2 - paid
SharderMap 4 - Paid
AwesomeBump - Free

SharderMap 4 is my favorite because is powerful and I can generate textures with custom properties.

I always try to use my own textures or the one I buy online for my personal mods:D and never share because my retouches are just simple stuff like planting some flowers, dead bushes, cactuses or some creepy things hidden in the bushes :roflmao:

I'm planning to buy this 3D monster and put it on some of the tracks for my night races adventures:roflmao:

Extraterrestrial

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 29 8.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 7 2.1%