Is VR Great?

1703174450285.png

Artur: How is the overlap?

Steve: Well, that's the first thing that I was quite curious about because obviously it's got a wider field of view. I went to check that straight away, and I was really surprised actually about the overlap is far better than a lot of headsets. So that's good news.

96V by 120H is pretty good. So once again head shapes make a difference.

Last edited:
View attachment 715162

Artur: How is the overlap?

Steve: Well, that's the first thing that I was quite curious about because obviously it's got a wider field of view. I went to check that straight away, and I was really surprised actually about the overlap is far better than a lot of headsets. So that's good news.

96V by 120H is pretty good. So once again head shapes make a difference.

From the positive side, the VR1 has probably the following advantages over the Crystal:
~ 10-18° more hFoV, but slightly less vFoV
~ 7-10° better stereo overlap
~ 10-20% more efficient barrel distortion profile to achieve the same 35PPD
- probably better focal distance
- maybe better CA/no blue shift
- local dimming/colors the same as the Crystal
- center resolution/sharpness still unclear how good it is but the sweetspot seem to be a bit better too
- 180gram less weight and lighthouse tracking on default

If everything else is trouble free (Sadly found an "huge" lens issue, but they promised that this will be solved for the release), then it could be a nice upgrade to the Crystal. So if the price is right, maybe I'm going to give it a chance but I'm waiting for more reviews/info first.

Another XR-4 reaction also showing running higher ppd's without hitting a wall.

"I got my XR-4 today. The tracking for me is pretty much flawless. Red blue shift is almost invisible, you really have to look for it to see any. The Motion Blur is also almost completely gone! Most Games I've tried run with 48 PPD Resolution with the same Performace my Aero had with the 39 PPD Option. For me the Difference between 51 and 55 PPD in Games is not really noticeable. Games that I've tryed so far:Half Life Alyx, Arizona Sunshine 2, Red Out and Resident Evil 8. I'm pretty happy so far. Only Problem I had so far, I can't get the Controllers working in Oculus games via Revive."

From the positive side, the VR1 has probably the following advantages over the Crystal:
~ 10-18° more hFoV, but slightly less vFoV
~ 7-10° better stereo overlap
~ 10-20% more efficient barrel distortion profile to achieve the same 35PPD
- probably better focal distance
- maybe better CA/no blue shift
- local dimming/colors the same as the Crystal
- center resolution/sharpness still unclear how good it is but the sweetspot seem to be a bit better too
- 180gram less weight and lighthouse tracking on default

If everything else is trouble free (Sadly found an "huge" lens issue, but they promised that this will be solved for the release), then it could be a nice upgrade to the Crystal. So if the price is right, maybe I'm going to give it a chance but I'm waiting for more reviews/info first.
no inside outside tracking …, no buying.

It's funny because, I consider the XR-4 to have a liability by not supporting lighthouses. Based on the feedback to date, the tracking of the XR-4 appears to vary quite a bit based on the room. One person says they have excellent tracking and another is talking about putting large QR codes on the walls to improve tracking because they are experiencing swimming.

I have the Pimax Crystal and I thought that the HMD tracking wouldn't make much difference compared to inside out tracking. But I bought the lighthouse module anyway because I wanted to use the Index controllers. I was so damn wrong, lighthouse tracking makes a MASSIVE difference. After trying it, I don't want to go back to inside out tracking. It just feels so much more natural. Did you ever try lighthouse tracking? What do you have against it and why? That's what I'm wondering now...

I consider the XR-4 to have a liability by not supporting lighthouses.
They sell a XR-4 lighthouse faceplate for 1200 euro, that works with lighthouses. Yes about the same price as a BSB/Crystal almost. Discussing the XR-4 feels weird because the pricing is so far out of control; that it shouldn't even be considered anymore..

They sell a XR-4 lighthouse faceplate for 1200 euro, that works with lighthouses. Yes about the same price as a BSB/Crystal almost. Discussing the XR-4 feels weird because the pricing is so far out of control; that it shouldn't even be considered anymore..
And yet, I know people ordering them and am seeing sim enthusiasts and even VR enthusiasts who don't play sims buying them. So they have a market and it helps that they make most of their money in the military sector, so they don't have to sell piles of these to stay financially healthy.

Obviously they won't sell in numbers like the Quest 3 or even Bigscreen Beyond, but my guess is that they will do fine and be around to release an XR-5 some day.

Benefit of outside in you dont need to buy new controllers all the time. And i am not sure even beside tracking there is any better then the index controllers.
So far the XR-4 hasn't gotten any praise for its controllers and I completely agree about the Index Controllers being some of the best controllers out there in terms of function as well as tracking.

Last edited:
Sigh....

Artur says it is 880g for the headset, head strap with eye tracking.

Sounds like they still have a lot to work out. To be fair he was optimistic about them getting the issues worked out before they hit production and he did say that the software was very stable.

Last edited:
Build full physical plane cockpit just to hide it completely in VR. :O_o:
View attachment 715421
You must not have watched this. He was using Mixed Reality so that he could see the entire cockpit and easily use it with the pass through cameras, while everything through the windows was Virtual in game.

That is the right way to do this. Many people have a huge time investment creating a nearly perfect 1:1 cockpit of their favorite aircraft.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

You must not have watched this. He was using Mixed Reality so that he could see the entire cockpit and easily use it with the pass through cameras, while everything through the windows was Virtual in game.

That is the right way to do this. Many people have a huge time investment creating a nearly perfect 1:1 cockpit of their favorite aircraft.
Oh yeah, missed that part when fast forwarding, that's pretty cool, can solve the issues with finding buttons on wheels/buttonboxes or typing on the keyboard.
Pure speculation but I feel we will see return of 3D monitors in the near future.

I have the Pimax Crystal and I thought that the HMD tracking wouldn't make much difference compared to inside out tracking. But I bought the lighthouse module anyway because I wanted to use the Index controllers. I was so damn wrong, lighthouse tracking makes a MASSIVE difference. After trying it, I don't want to go back to inside out tracking. It just feels so much more natural. Did you ever try lighthouse tracking? What do you have against it and why? That's what I'm wondering now...
Because I don’t want to spend extra 400$ for light houses and since the Oculus S I’m very happy with
Sigh....

Artur says it is 880g for the headset, head strap with eye tracking.

Sounds like they still have a lot to work out. To be fair he was optimistic about them getting the issues worked out before they hit production and he did say that the software was very stable.
sorry but I think I will be happy with my quest 3 for the 2024. It’s another bulky heavy headset as the Crystal but more expensive.
He needs to zoom a lot to see the difference between the 500$ quest and the 2000$ Vr1.
3K for the full spec headset and add 600$ for light houses and controllers….. so basically it’s a 1.2 Kg /3700$:lcd headset. No thanks

Because I don’t want to spend extra 400$ for light houses and since the Oculus S I’m very happy with

sorry but I think I will be happy with my quest 3 for the 2024. It’s another bulky heavy headset as the Crystal but more expensive.
He needs to zoom a lot to see the difference between the 500$ quest and the 2000$ Vr1.
3K for the full spec headset and add 600$ for light houses and controllers….. so basically it’s a 1.2 Kg /3700$:lcd headset. No thanks

Well his through the lens videos don't say much. The difference in resolution is massive when you have the HMD on your head. That's the only way to compare them. If the VR1 looks as horrible as in his through the lens videos then nobody would buy it.

Yes lighthouses are pricey and the VR1 is already overpriced so adding all that up, it's a lot of money for sure. But since you considered the XR-4, which is 4900 euro, I don't understand your concern anymore.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 402 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 255 43.9%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 273 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 161 27.7%
Back