Is VR Great?

Vr is indead great and very much alive. We have both garage firms and big industri players developing headsets and the smartphones is likely not going anywhere soon. Which help a lot keeping costs for vr down.

Only trend I see missing is various triple a titles shipping with VR support. I have never expected them to be optimized for vr but same controls just offering the possibility to see the game in virtual realitet is not that expensive. What we see is they feel forced to change the control scheme and do a lot of optimization or they dont do it at all.

I play fallout 4 vr now. Its in the later category which is better of course but just the vr perspective give a huge bonus.

Starfield dont have any vr support at all

There is som vr injector on its way for unreal engine that is supposed to be kind of like vorpx on steroids but modded support is not the same

Vr is indead great and very much alive. We have both garage firms and big industri players developing headsets and the smartphones is likely not going anywhere soon. Which help a lot keeping costs for vr down.

Only trend I see missing is various triple a titles shipping with VR support. I have never expected them to be optimized for vr but same controls just offering the possibility to see the game in virtual realitet is not that expensive. What we see is they feel forced to change the control scheme and do a lot of optimization or they dont do it at all.

I play fallout 4 vr now. Its in the later category which is better of course but just the vr perspective give a huge bonus.

Starfield dont have any vr support at all

There is som vr injector on its way for unreal engine that is supposed to be kind of like vorpx on steroids but modded support is not the same

Agreed.

VR is definitely alive and growing despite never having widespread adoption except for Sims and VR Chat where people enjoy the same title for many many hours.

We still don't have triple A game studios pumping out VR titles. The masses of gamers have spoken, they want to be seated in front of a monitor.

However tools like VR injector you mentioned may help bring many titles to VR and if the entry to VR is dropped significantly including VR may become more common.

Last edited:
ign just gave a VR game 10/10 which is pretty unheard of, shocking even.

VR is 10/10 for iracing, 9.5/10 for ams2, 8.5/10 for AC, 7/10 for acc

imo

ign just gave a VR game 10/10 which is pretty unheard of, shocking even.

VR is 10/10 for iracing, 9.5/10 for ams2, 8.5/10 for AC, 7/10 for acc

imo

You made me look. Wow! They seriously gushed about it. 90 hours of play time.
Inside the article it got a 94 out of 100.

Last edited:
A game changer plugin for VR is released today called Almalence:

I thought that the Crystal was already crystal clear, but with this plugin enabled/disabled the difference is day and night! Really impressive.

It currently works in Automobilista 2, but with one major downside: it breaks foveated rendering support. So it's difficult to find the right balance now for 90fps/hz locked.

It needs eye tracking so only eye tracked HMD's are supported. But the new version got a toggle: "Added an option to turn off Lateral Chromatic Aberrations correction- for the cases when eye-tracking fails to determine the eye pupil position (e.g. with some kinds of prescription glasses). Press F10 key to switch LCA correction on/off;". I'm not sure if this means that it "could" also work with non eye tracked devices in the future. I see a difference with LCA correction on/off but not major. But when disabling almalence completely the difference is day and night. So hard to back now to VR without almalence after this.

One other downside: it works only until 31 jan 24. After that it's unclear what's going to happen, but they'll probably sell it or extend the license with a new version.

Last edited:
So you are using link cable or VD ?
Please post your setting ( oculus debug tool). Did you receive your new 4090?

You made me look. Wow! They seriously gushed about it. 90 hours of play time.
Inside the article it got a 94 out of 100.

You made install the game and gave it try. What is impressive is it that the game is on a standalone headset and can be played anywhere.

Graphically though it lacks for us PCVR users. Halflife Alyx in the Quest 3 looks so much better and it's crazy that this almost 4 year old game is still a VR benchmark experience which most of us revisit when they have a new VRHMD

VR is a very good addition.
Though it may always be prohibitively expensive for some, it is a nice option to have.
I currently work in the simulation business and I can see it headed that way in the future.
The wheels are already in motion.
As for gaming....
Racing...even more so than the very close second...flight simulators, benefits massively.
Any timing gains over normal monitors will probably come down to precision...especially in corner and track out placement.
Still...that feeling of out-braking a competitor at the end of Kemmel simply by catching their retardation in your peripheral vision as they put the clampers on, cannot be matched.

You made install the game and gave it try. What is impressive is it that the game is on a standalone headset and can be played anywhere.

Graphically though it lacks for us PCVR users. Halflife Alyx in the Quest 3 looks so much better and it's crazy that this almost 4 year old game is still a VR benchmark experience which most of us revisit when they have a new VRHMD
Why compare it to alyx compare it to the original. It´s a shame it has to be run on a mobile chip but tbh it would not have gotten the budget to become as great as it did without meta support so it´s just something we have to live with. First Asgard Wrath was absolutely great so I am not surprised by the great reviews.

What Quest 3 can achieve is actually really impressive though for what it is but asgard wrath is optimized for quest 2 you just benefit from higher framerates on quest 3. That said open world is just asking waaay to much but I must say re 4 on quest 3 do work just fine and look better then on wii ;) and 7th guest actually kind of look gorgeous. But the later have you hardly moving at all so a much easier job to create great rooms then an open world title. But still. Pinball fx/2 also look quite decent on the quest 3 though not as good as pcvr version.

Bigger drawback is limited controls. I would like to use my index controllers graphics really isn´t the be all or you wouldn´t even run VR to begin with if maximal resolution and eye candy is prio 1 :)

I am confused about why the eye tracking is required, if they broke foveated rendering. What else is it good for?

It corrects CA dynamically, so that means that it focusses exactly on the spot where your eye is looking, to get an optimal image at that spot. It's a big innovation in VR software.

That's why eye tracking is required:

Digital Lens for Better Picture Quality in VR/AR Displays
Having to achieve high resolution, wide field of view, and large eye-box, the VR/AR head-mounted display makers face the challenges impossible to overcome by hardware design alone. Even the latest and greatest head-mounted displays retain the common flaws spoiling user experience: blur and color fringing outside of the small “sweet spot,” picture quality degradation and geometry distortion at wide gaze angles, and a tiny eye box.

To achieve realistic picture quality, optical fidelity, and natural visual experience, it becomes necessary to use advanced image pre-processing techniques beyond the standard geometry warp and channel scaling.

Almalence Digital Lens is a computational solution allowing to correct optical aberrations and distortions in head-mounted displays by utilizing a precise characterization of HMD optical properties along with a patented dynamic aberrations correction algorithm, adjusting on-the-fly to the eye-tracking data.

I'm not sure if the "super resolution" part also uses eye tracking. And while it improves the image quality massively, it still doesn't remove the CA completely.

Last edited:
Fortunately the Beyond has no CA or Moire' to correct :)
In this video you can clearly see that the BSB suffers from CA:

Some people don't even notice the CA in the Pimax Crystal. Maybe you'll also not see CA in the Crystal if you had it. This while it's very obvious for me(but it's not an huge issue with the Crystal when using it without Almalence(but probably the only real flaw of the image)) and the Aero was even unusable for me with the insane amount of CA, it's really horrible with the Aero.

So I understand that when you come from the Aero, that it "feels" like the BSB got as good as no CA. Because the difference is massive with the Aero, the Aero is probably the worst hmd on the planet when it comes to CA; but there clearly is still CA in the BSB and way to much to ignore if I must believe that video.

Last edited:
Hereby an official image of the BSB, see the temple image: https://www.bigscreenvr.com/displays

The full res. image: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hwad...ngle.png?rlkey=ga42da7wez5utjy7o2mwzifny&dl=1

All "borders" of the temple on the left and all items on top of the temple got serious CA issues as you can see(on the left side of it blue, on the right side of it green), also the details on the temple got clearly CA(the yellow swastika look a like's got red CA on the right). Even in the middle of the sweetspot, the red circle, clearly got CA issues(blue on the right side of it).

In fact when I look at the image, I see CA almost everywhere. So if the BSB had eye tracking then it would have had a lot of benefit of Almalence too.

I would say that it's even a bit more CA than that I observe in the Crystal in most scenario's. But the Crystal really suffers with HUD items and close content such as pinball tables(the last more color shifting instead of regular CA).

So I'm not sure if you know that CA actually is, the BSB isn't close to free from it.

Last edited:
I've been into photography for many years and have some lenses that have very noticeable CA which is mostly noticeable as purple fringing among other things.

That first temple image was taken using a 100mm Macro lens and I can't tell you what is an artifact of the camera lens and what you would actually see in real life. They didn't say how far they had the lens stopped down or which lens they used.

Last edited:
I've been into photography for many years and have some lenses that have very noticeable CA which is mostly noticeable as purple fringing among other things.

That first temple image was taken using a 100mm Macro lens and I can't tell you what is an artifact of the camera lens and what you would actually see in real life. They didn't say how far they had the lens stopped down or which lens they used.
The BSB clearly has CA, you can also see that in the video. A bit below average, yes, but not zero CA and nothing close to zero. For some reason you also didn't see glare in the BSB, but there is(according to almost all other users) a very serious amount of glare. I'm pretty sure that when I put an BSB on my face, that I instantly see the glare and the CA.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.