Is VR Great?

He mentioned a lot of other things besides that which would seem to indicate that the Beyond has other areas where it looks better than anything he's ever owned.

But if you want to cherry pick one issue that you acknowledge, so be it.
To be fair, you cherry picked the first part of his post, not the rest that talked about blurry outside of 40% of fov, not being able to consistently put it in place etc.
You really have ot wait until it fits him and he gets an overall impression. I can mke my g2 seem much better to me, by taking off the gasket, getting my eyes right in etc but I cant use it like that. He has to see what the picture is like when he can use it, not when he moved an eye in to a perfect place that he may not be able to do with his final headset.

It's like your brain detects that something is fake when looking at an LCD panel with washed out colors and grey darkness (even if it doesn't consiously bother you). I didn't realize that until I experienced the Beyond. Clarity is fantastic and so is the eye comfort. What I mean by eye comfort, is the ability to focus normally and comfortably. Where your eyes feel roughly the same in VR as they do out of it. Which is something I always have a big issue with in pretty much every headset other than Quest, Index, and now the Beyond. If my eyes can't focus normally, I can't be in VR very long before discomfort. "

LOL, no that's not what he said, but if it helps you sleep better at night.
That's exactly what he said and I don't care about his (I don't even know who it is) opinion at all! Why would I sleep better if someone is experiencing something?

I mainly get out of his whole story that the eye comfort is to him a lot better than all other HMD's and that the colors and blacks are better. What more is he saying then according to you?? He's not mentioning resolution, nits, fov, performance, nothing; only that. More eye comfort and better colors and blacks(besides some emotional nonsense).

You're twisting it in the way that you want to experience it, to an emotional believe about the BSB again. Just stay with the facts and try to leave the emotional side outside of it.

If he has discomfort compared with the Pimax Crystal and other HMD's, then it's probably because of the difference in focal distance. And he's not the first that has discomfort with that. The Crystal DOES have a short focal distance, I have no issues with it at all but even I would have preferred that the focal distance was equal to the Reverb G2 for example, it just views a bit more releaxed. But if someone is suffering from long-sightedness, even only midly, then the Crystal isn't for that person. It's an HUGE issue for people with long-sightedness and then the BSB will feel much better to his eyes. So then of course everything feels better, because if you have no eye comfort, then you move on quite quickly. There is not a HMD for everyone, not the Crystal and also not the BSB. It's all personal preference and if you have limitation in your sight then some HMD's fell of quite quickly and the Crystal even faster than others probably because of the short(est) focal distance.

You're completely overwhelmed with your emotions around this HMD. Just try to look at it from a distance, what you're experiencing. There is CA, there is glare, there is an low upscaled resolution at 90hz, the nits are low, it doesn't have eye tracking so it cannot benefit from quad views, dynamic foveated rendering, almalence, it doens't have a magical fov or stereo overlap or a perfect sweetspot etc.etc. it HAS downsides as any HMD currently on the market.

You're just massively overreacting, there's no magic going on inside that BSB, it's just a great HMD for some(and for some not, as you can read in the VR wanttobedead thread, same as the Crystal, great for some, terrible for some others), well great, but it's not some kind of magical device with zero issues or limitations.

Last edited:
"random" Lumix looking through the Somnium VR1.
LumixWonderWhose.jpg

W
FYI, I was told this is the "right" type of camera for quality measurements of a VR headset. I'm waiting to find out what camera that is.
View attachment 714873
The camera is this... Though I am not sure it is really all that much more useful then what we already have for these behind the lenses as we as buyers want to see one thing and this is really for something else.

Last edited:
So it's sort of like the machine the optometrist uses to automatically measure my eyes. It gives useful information, but if you didn't want the data it produces.

So it's sort of like the machine the optometrist uses to automatically measure my eyes. It gives useful information, but if you didn't want the data it produces.
It may give you good factual numbers on the glare in the BSB for which you can then say, but it never annoys me!
So yes, probably things at a level of detail we dont care about when forming our poinion based on what it looks like to us.

Just because a YouTuber makes a review about something, it doesn't mean they are actually knowledgeable about a subject matter.
I dont understand his theory about not needing prescription lenses with it. I guess he just find the huge sweetspot with it whereas most headset requires mikrometer precision :(

Hope I get my vr rock inserts before christmas. I have to try how it works with PCVR. Limited to 960 Mbps wheras with a good wifi6 router you can actually get better bandwidth with wireless connection? My wifi 6 gives me 2200 Mbps but how that then translates I dont know

I dont understand his theory about not needing prescription lenses with it. I guess he just find the huge sweetspot with it whereas most headset requires mikrometer precision :(

Hope I get my vr rock inserts before christmas. I have to try how it works with PCVR. Limited to 960 Mbps wheras with a good wifi6 router you can actually get better bandwidth with wireless connection? My wifi 6 gives me 2200 Mbps but how that then translates I dont know
I don't think he has a theory that you dont need them, it sounds like his normal prescription is for a small diopter and no astigmatism.. So the q3 worked ok for him, presumably its focal distance is just outside where he needs his prescription.
He said that is good as he doesnt need to put them in and out for others that dont need them.

I think Tyriel has an adapter (close-up lens?) on it.
If this at least puts the pupil in the right place then the camera will have a fighting chance of giving relevant results.
(As you may be well aware, it's pretty trivial to see where the lens entrance pupil is, provided you can see the iris. To be eye-like, the pupil needs to be within millimetres of the front of the lens or maybe even in front of it if the diameter of the assembly prevents moving the whole thing as close to the headset as your eye would be.)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 26 32.1%