Is iRacing worth it?

I have rfactor 2 and AC i am thinking of getting iracing just for the open wheelers is it worth it just for that?
If so how much would it be for 1 year membership and the open wheelers?

very little. start from pits (by missing the start and then joining when it says "start missed") to keep out of early mayhem, choose different timeframe to have fewer american teenagers online, make the virtual rearview mirror your best friend. it does get better as you reach higher classes, but i for example lost 300sr in two weeks last season without doing a single real mistake, just caught up in other people's troubles. happens. ovals show little mercy.

oh yeah, one more: set a blistering quali time and lead from the start (never been able to do that myself).

I had 1 pole time but we had them slowing down, waiting for you to come by and ram :-(.
If they're waiting to ram you, it's an easy protest. Save the replay (there's an option to prompt you every time you exit the sim, I strongly recommend it), clip the relevant portion, then clikc the 'protest' button on the results.

You'll hear people claim that iRacing 'never' responds to protests, but it's simply not true. It just has to be malicious rather than a mistake on that drivers part. The majority of properly filed protests get upheld, and driver generally get one warning with most seeming to stop acting the fool.

Some good data, if you're into that:
http://www.iracing.com/protests-by-the-numbers/

If you see iRacing as a game, then yes it's expensive. If you see iRacing as hobby, like fishing, karting or whatever, then it's well worth the money. :)
I see iRacing as 'that super expensive rod'
I'm sure it's a lot of fun, but my regular 'rod' here the other sims do the trick as well.

Never had the money to try the expensive rod though haha

I see iRacing as 'that super expensive rod'
I'm sure it's a lot of fun, but my regular 'rod' here the other sims do the trick as well.

Never had the money to try the expensive rod though haha
To torture that analogy, I'd consider iRacing a bit more like a chartered fishing trip. You might have fewer options, but you show up and have a good time without having to do any setup. You might like to fish with your own rod from a dock or your own boat, but sometimes it's nice to have a full service charter boat take you where you want to go and chum everything for you so all you need to do is catch fish.

Iracing is not worth it at all. To much money to spend on (1k+ euros).

So no... not worth it at all.

I'm subscribed since 2009, 100% member and in total, using deals and discounts, I spent something like 750€.
It's 150€ a year for a product in continue evolution, and also the more time I will be subscribed, the less € at year I will spend, I think in the long term it will be easy to archive something like 60-70€ at year.

One person posts 20-30k times here,on the official forums and a few more heaping praise on iRacing as if he was employed by them and maybe is.

Yet I poke in one post, to point out the irony of claiming over and over again how great of a value iRacing is when it so far away from being the sim it is claimed to be and I am the troll.

reading through this thread, I am very close to taking advantage of the RD for iRacing. I love the feel of AC and enjoy the driving but there is no sense of accomplishment right now (online) and yes, the organized by RD events are good but if I want a good online race (right now for example) i am pretty much out of luck and keep on racing offline.
Any suggestion for what I should be aware of?

Chris, you have posted negative comments in this iRacing forum far more than once. I struggle to figure out why you spend so much time in this forum for a game you hate so much. Most people just spend their time in the forums for games they like.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea