Is iRacing worth it?

I have rfactor 2 and AC i am thinking of getting iracing just for the open wheelers is it worth it just for that?
If so how much would it be for 1 year membership and the open wheelers?

Took the 3month trial in iRacing, had a great time with it but lost interest fast when I saw the huge cost involved if you wanna unleash some of its content and advance through the licenses.

I think its kinda pointless comparing anytype of products that are so far apart in pricing.

That is all. :whistling:

My comment was actually sarcasm Niel, I love iRacing as do many others here. There are some that don't like it as well and I have no problem with that either. The answer is clearly that it is worth it some people and not to others.

I think the simple answer is,
Yes, Its worth it, if you can afford it.

But to give people an idea of the possible costs involved to 'people that can afford it'...... I added alot of content that I didnt have to my cart just out of curiosity to find out how much iRacing actually values its content.....
My checkout price was $780 and that was with a 20% discount.

Like i said, great sim if you are willing to pay through the nose for it.....But for that price i Could go track racing for real here in Ireland, so no thanks iRacing.

You can't compare things with such a huge price difference.......Its like doing a comparison review on a RC plane and comparing it to a real Boeing 747.....Its just plane stupid (get it, plane ? hahaha)

No video game is worth $1000+ with a monthly sub thrown in also.

That being said, if the physics and FFB felt like AC I would be a 100% content owner again and wouldn't even think about the money.

After 4+ years of waiting for the physics and FFB to get there with minimal improvements along the way along with half a dozen features that were announced 3 years ago still not being implemented makes it not even come close to being worth the money IMO.

For many, just having visible stats (especially irating) makes it worth every penny..If irating wasn't visible they would feel like they were racing for nothing, because for them the enjoyment comes not from the actual on-track battles, but from the sense of accomplishment of having a higher irating than most.

At the end of the day it is up to each individual to try iracing for themselves and decide if it is worth it or not; just beware that for most there is a nice honeymoon period that usually lasts for a year or so where you believe everything Marketing tells you and you honestly believe that every feature you want that isn't currently implemented will be in the next build.

I think the simple answer is,
Yes, Its worth it, if you can afford it.
But then, only if you want online racing outside of league times. Someone interested in only league racing or a career against AI is going to find better value elsewhere.
But for that price i Could go track racing for real here in Ireland, so no thanks iRacing.
You must have cheap tracks out there! I know I'm jealous. I always wonder when people say 'for that money I'd go racing. What's your cheap racing fix over there, if you don't mind my asking?

Cheapest deal over here is $250 for skid plate racing, but it's the other side of the continent for me. Instead I tend to hit the kart track for $12.50, but I'm unavailable on league nights so it's not as nice as I would wish. I could rent a Miata for an SCCA race, but that starts at $1200 which would have blown an iRacing budget, and that's without factoring in SCCA licensing fees and more.

Right now I've spent $777 on iRacing over 4 years, and I have $170 in credits which should cover my next two years of subscription and half a dozen cars and tracks. That puts me at around $150/year, $12.50/month, $2.69/official race, which isn't so unfathomably expensive, just more expensive than the competition. Cheaper than WoW though, and that's before expansion packs.

No video game is worth $1000+ with a monthly sub thrown in also.

That being said, if the physics and FFB felt like AC I would be a 100% content owner again and wouldn't even think about the money.

After 4+ years of waiting for the physics and FFB to get there with minimal improvements along the way along with half a dozen features that were announced 3 years ago still not being implemented makes it not even come close to being worth the money IMO.

For many, just having visible stats (especially irating) makes it worth every penny..If irating wasn't visible they would feel like they were racing for nothing, because for them the enjoyment comes not from the actual on-track battles, but from the sense of accomplishment of having a higher irating than most.

At the end of the day it is up to each individual to try iracing for themselves and decide if it is worth it or not; just beware that for most there is a nice honeymoon period that usually lasts for a year or so where you believe everything Marketing tells you and you honestly believe that every feature you want that isn't currently implemented will be in the next build.

Its only $1000 if you buy all of the available content and lets be honest, there's a LOT of content. Nothng says you have to buy it all and most people likely never do. You get a few free cars and a few tracks and you can play with those for a monthly fee without needing to purchase anything else. It sounds like you have issues with their business model that you pay for what you want rather than it all be given to you for nothing. While that may sound wonderful as a consumer, there's a lot of cost in developing laser scanned tracks and the online features you get which are unmatched anywhere. You could spend about $100 on iRacing in content and have more than enough to last you for years if you enjoy competitive racing.

Its only $1000 if you buy all of the available content and lets be honest, there's a LOT of content. Nothng says you have to buy it all and most people likely never do.

I quite agree. I went for the whole package, and this was before the NTM was rolled out (almost a year earlier), no one forced me to, ended up spending a lot of money for content I wanted to try (mostly).

The only thing I disagreed with then, and I said so in the right place, is that I had to purchase content (cars and tracks I didn't want) because without it I couldn't drive my own cars when they were mixed with others I didn't have, and also the series moved on to a track I didn't own.

Is all this content really worth a 1000 or so Euros?

That's up to one's purse, how much one believes in iR.

We're also not talking about €1000 a year, you only need to spend it once. I doubt 1000 or 1500 Euros, Dollars or Pounds would take you far in a season, in real life, with a moderately interesting car - no need for a brand new, expensive car. 1000 Euros is what cost me and a few guys to take a couple of go-karts, buy some extra-spare parts (and a new tire set), across Catalunya and enrol in an event.

Finally, the DLC-type of route some dev studios are planning or are already following may turn out to be quite expensive too for end users.

It sounds like you have issues with their business model that you pay for what you want rather than it all be given to you for nothing. While that may sound wonderful as a consumer, there's a lot of cost in developing laser scanned tracks and the online features you get which are unmatched anywhere. You could spend about $100 on iRacing in content and have more than enough to last you for years if you enjoy competitive racing.

I know simracers who spent less than 150 Euros in the first year. They didn't mind the tire problems and this or that issue and simply enjoy iR for the service.

It is precisely the service (race management, careers and ratings, safety and FIRST rules, club/league/pro championships) that matters to most - not the physics, not the graphics (rather good, in my opinion) but the service itself. That's the one major factor that makes iR stand out. One look at the booking system in AC should suffice to understand how good iR is in that respect (it's hard to see how the two can even compare).

Not even worth touching on physics - yes, DK is taking what seems to me to be TOO LONG to sort out tires and physics calibrations issues (inexcusably so, I'd say), but...AC has its share of persistent problems as well, while some do nothing but systematically praise it, others do report several serious problems that push people away.

Last edited:
Chronus, if I had one complaint at the moment with iRacing, it would be that I simply don't fully understand why cars get upgraded to new tire models at different times. I understand they like to roll out updates after every season which comes every 3 months but its pretty ridiculous that some cars I believe are still on the very early tire models, like the ones that aren't raced as much, but maybe they aren't raced as much because they need an overhaul. I would rather see major changes like a new tire model rolled out for all cars across the board when they decide to make a change rather than a few popular cars at a time.

Chronus, if I had one complaint at the moment with iRacing, it would be that I simply don't fully understand why cars get upgraded to new tire models at different times. I understand they like to roll out updates after every season which comes every 3 months but its pretty ridiculous that some cars I believe are still on the very early tire models, like the ones that aren't raced as much, but maybe they aren't raced as much because they need an overhaul. I would rather see major changes like a new tire model rolled out for all cars across the board when they decide to make a change rather than a few popular cars at a time.
They need to redesign and test the tires anytime the model gets updated, so they work on similar cars to get it all done as efficiently as possible. Some of the cars took longer to get on the NTM because it just didn't behave well on it (the Lotus 49 debacle, for instance).

Basically, doing them all at once would either mean poorly integrated and tested releases, or holding back the release of some cars which would slow development.

Or that they need more testers to test these things so they can roll them out all at once. Like I said, I can understand quarterly changes as it relates to new content and features, but when it comes to something that changes the entire way a car feels, I would rather than be rolled out for every vehicle at the same time. I shouldn't need to keep notes to know which NTM each car is on at the moment.

More than just testers, need vehicle engineers to make the changes. And if a model would make some cars undrivable (high horsepower, low downforce, for instance) then holding off on just those cars is far preferable to me than either delaying the cars it would do well on or breaking said cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Seta model updates for pCARS didn't always come out on every car at once, right?

More than just testers, need vehicle engineers to make the changes. And if a model would make some cars undrivable (high horsepower, low downforce, for instance) then holding off on just those cars is far preferable to me than either delaying the cars it would do well on or breaking said cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Seta model updates for pCARS didn't always come out on every car at once, right?

No sure on pCARS. I haven't been following it since I don't have access to it.

Or that they need more testers to test these things so they can roll them out all at once. Like I said, I can understand quarterly changes as it relates to new content and features, but when it comes to something that changes the entire way a car feels, I would rather than be rolled out for every vehicle at the same time. I shouldn't need to keep notes to know which NTM each car is on at the moment.

Blkout, you raised very good points in these posts (the one responding to a post of mine, and this one, specifically).

I too feel that the NTM roll out was done poorly, and even worst explained. At some point, there was chaos, with people looking at the release notes stating which car had received the NTM, but at the same time wondering why cars which hadn't were however behaving worst then before.

I understand what Bakkster said and agree (with the need to fully test, and the time it takes), however here's what I think:

if a sim is well built, then it follows RL processes. In this case, the tire model is (should be) independent of the other physics aspects (chassis and aerodynamics and also suspensions). If it is well built, then it is (as DK claims) modular, which means you can take out the OTM and put in the NTM.

I can understand rolling out the NTM in phases (the initial release was more of a marketing necessity, especially considering they didn't have the people to a roll out across the board), which is why you have to maintain two entirely different TMs in the same engine (what a mess that can be).

Problem is: what if the NTM is not exactly legacy-code free? That is the only way to force the coexistence of two entirely different pieces of systems of physics algorithms. Which means, the NTM holds inside the OTM, which can be switched on or off depending on the roll out map.

Another thing is not vehicle engineers but rather vehicle dynamicists. You don't need an army of them. But you do need one or two good ones. If I understood it correctly, other than DK himself, the core team didn't have a vehicle dynamicist, but programmers and testers which could and had to do all things at once. Chris Lerch will have a enormous impact on iRacing, if he sticks around and he truly believes in its physics engine (one look at his tools tells me he is on the right path).

Anyway, as Blkout said, no one should have to keep notes on which cars have a NTM, which have the NNNTM, which have the OTM, which will be transitioning soon. Looks messy and doesn't instil confidence.

No indeed, if I'm not mistaken. And the reason is similar to what happens in some professional simracing leagues when we got hold of specs for last summer's tires chosen by FIA or the organization of this or that championship:

you have to see what impact tire changes will have on the projected handling. Curiously, just like in real life.

If a model is well designed (at the core, physics implementation) then it's no longer a matter of looking for inconsistencies, but rather check and recheck and re-re-check the calibration models in order to see what exactly is contradicting the intended nature of the tire.

It may sound odd and overly complicated, but that's my experience and also what I was told by devs.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back