Is iRacing worth it?

I have rfactor 2 and AC i am thinking of getting iracing just for the open wheelers is it worth it just for that?
If so how much would it be for 1 year membership and the open wheelers?

We should be careful about some things being said, mate.

ISI did more for the simracing genre and community than some studios (including DK's) ever did. ISI did not release a string of titles (as some have) ever promising the "best physics this and best immersion that", and charging each year or every 2 years an exorbitant amount of money ; they released maybe two major titles (rF and F1C) and have now "released" their third (or, in the time lapse of 14 years, about 10 titles).

Also, they produced and licensed a platform which allowed other companies to enrich the genre with their own titles throughout the years (from SIMBIN, to The Sim Factory, SRW and Reiza).

As for Kunos, Stefano released NetKar Pro and Netkar Namie (free ). NKP was not an expensive sim and got free updates right to the end (1.3.xxx).

Compare all that to the (unfortunate) conflicts between DK and the community (the before Papyrus closed and the after iRacing was born - the sad case with GTP and others).

All of them (iRacing, ISI, Kunos S., SIMBIN, Reiza) are companies who must sell their products to survive.

But comparisons stop there.

I'm not saying they don't have a passion for what they do but ISI has done what they have to make money as they did licensing their engine, Simbin, Sim Factory, Reisa all the same. NetKar Namie was free because lets face it compared to what was around at the time he would have had a hard time selling it and it was his foot in the door so to speak. NetKar Pro was a terrible release, they had a nerve charging for it. As for the iRacing GTP thing - they bought the rights to an engine they created to help with a new commercial project they had every right to stop others freely distributing heavily modified versions of their engine. I just find it funny that someone accused iRacing of just being in it for the money when they are all commercial entities. I couldn't care less what profit anyone of them make, if its a good product I'll buy it.

I never claimed that rFactor for consumers where has the same fidelity as rFactor Pro, but unless I am mistaken (which I very well might be) both titles are made by the same team, hence the guys making rFactor for consumers should be very well equipped with knowledge about how to make simracing physics, at least on par with the iRacing guys.
That said I find the user experience on rFactor to be poor, and on rF2 even worse, they seem to know sim physics far better than they do the concept of User Friendly and User Interfaces. :p

That's my point though, comparing rFactor 2 to rFactor Pro set up in a professional simulator would be like comparing one spread sheet with 5 columns of data to one with 5000 columns of data. Some may have the same headings but the data is vastly different so a comparison is irrelevant. I'm sure the guys at all the various developers are very smart guys, they just have a different take on how to simulate certain complex aspects and I wouldn't particularly place one team above another.

Regarding UI: at least they allow us to mod the UI as we please. Some modifications dramatically improve your "user experience", and that's a big PLUS for a lot of us.

Its just another problem left for the community to sort out, its been over 2 years so have their artists been so busy they couldn't spruce it up? I could understand it if it was a placeholder for the beta release but its the first thing customers see and quite frankly it looks horrible and dated.

You are just misunderstanding the point I'm trying to get across completely......
I'm not comparing rFactor to rF Pro, I'm merely trying to say that the guys who made rF Pro have also helped make rFactor, which to me means that they should be more than proficient enough to make a sim on par with iRacing.
The reason for me even mentioning this is because I keep reading all this praise about the geniuses at work behind iRacing, and while I don't doubt for a second that they have a really awesome team going over there I'm equally sure that the ISI team is capable of delivering considering the fact that they do, in another project, make the physics engine on which proper race teams base their sims.
Am I clear enough this time? I hope so... ><

NetKar Pro was a terrible release, they had a nerve charging for it.

NetKar Pro was "terrible"?

We definitely have different definitions of "sim". We also differ in what is terrible. What they offered with NKP was a very good simulator, and one which is easy to check out in terms of physics and handling.

As for the iRacing GTP thing - they bought the rights to an engine they created to help with a new commercial project they had every right to stop others freely distributing heavily modified versions of their engine.

That is not what happened. You've skimped on the details, and these very much matter. As I was not involved with the GTP guys, I'll leave it to them (or anyone close to them) to explain what you are leaving aside.

That's my point though, comparing rFactor 2 to rFactor Pro set up in a professional simulator would be like comparing one spread sheet with 5 columns of data to one with 5000 columns of data.

Speaking from experience with pro teams, data acqs, motion sims, etc, lets just say you're off the mark and reaching. Tell you this, though: don't oversimplify things. It's unfair, simply not right.

Its just another problem left for the community to sort out, its been over 2 years so have their artists been so busy they couldn't spruce it up? I could understand it if it was a placeholder for the beta release but its the first thing customers see and quite frankly it looks horrible and dated.

There is no problem.

A modding platform is just that: a platform which allows users to use it to produce something more or enhance the current product.

On the other hand, remember that ISI are not a large studio with countless artists and programmers.

You are just misunderstanding the point I'm trying to get across completely......
I'm not comparing rFactor to rF Pro, I'm merely trying to say that the guys who made rF Pro have also helped make rFactor, which to me means that they should be more than proficient enough to make a sim on par with iRacing.
The reason for me even mentioning this is because I keep reading all this praise about the geniuses at work behind iRacing, and while I don't doubt for a second that they have a really awesome team going over there I'm equally sure that the ISI team is capable of delivering considering the fact that they do, in another project, make the physics engine on which proper race teams base their sims.

I understood you, I think maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to explain. The ISI guys are not re-writing the laws of physics correct? So for the sake of simplicity say they create a spread sheet with a list of headings for each attribute for a car, that list of attributes is much shorter for rFactor 2 than rFactor Pro. Those headings may be on a spread sheet used by Kunos or by Dave Kaemer because they are known list of attributes or components which act in a certain manner within the law of physics, that is the core engine. Its the data typed into those columns that matter.

I understood you, I think maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to explain. The ISI guys are not re-writing the laws of physics correct? So for the sake of simplicity say they create a spread sheet with a list of headings for each attribute for a car, that list of attributes is much shorter for rFactor 2 than rFactor Pro. Those headings may be on a spread sheet used by Kunos or by Dave Kaemer because they are known list of attributes or components which act in a certain manner within the law of physics, that is the core engine. Its the data typed into those columns that matter.
And how is that even relevant to what we where discussing? Are you calling rFactors physics crude and simple compared to iRacings physics? Cos if you are you're not getting your point across by keeping on talking about comparing rFactor to rFactor Pro, which I have stated at least twice was NOT what I was talking about at all.

NetKar Pro was "terrible"?

We definitely have different definitions of "sim". We also differ in what is terrible. What they offered with NKP was a very good simulator, and one which is easy to check out in terms of physics and handling.

That is not what happened. You've skimped on the details, and these very much matter. As I was not involved with the GTP guys, I'll leave it to them (or anyone close to them) to explain what you are leaving aside.

Speaking from experience with pro teams, data acqs, motion sims, etc, lets just say you're off the mark and reaching. Tell you this, though: don't oversimplify things. It's unfair, simply not right.

There is no problem.

A modding platform is just that: a platform which allows users to use it to produce something more or enhance the current product.

On the other hand, remember that ISI are not a large studio with countless artists and programmers.

Come on! you'd have to have a pretty poor memory to forget the broken multi player, the broken UI and the disappearing act Kunos did leaving fans with a broken product.

I remember all the fuss over the GTP mod, I was waiting to see it myself. Am I annoyed that iRacing secured the rights to use an engine they created? no, do I respect their right to protect what belongs to them? yes. Too many people just assume because they can do it (in this case mod a game engine) its their god given right to do so, that is not the case.

If I'm simplifying things its to try and explain something in a text format that is a complex subject and not for the sake of simplifying things. The spread sheet is an analogy.

The UI is something that has been criticised many times over on various sim sites, I would say it is a problem. Not everyone wants to download another UI that may clash with another mod they have.

And how is that even relevant to what we where discussing? Are you calling rFactors physics crude and simple compared to iRacings physics? Cos if you are you're not getting your point across by keeping on talking about comparing rFactor to rFactor Pro, which I have stated at least twice was NOT what I was talking about at all.

You brought up rFactor Pro. I think you are deliberately misinterpreting my post, I've tried to simplify it for the sake of brevity. Not once have I stated or implied that rFactor's physics are crude, in fact I said in this very thread:

I'm sure the guys at all the various developers are very smart guys, they just have a different take on how to simulate certain complex aspects and I wouldn't particularly place one team above another.

Its down to the individual if iRacing is worth it, its not the holy grail of physics

I'm done wasting time with this forum.

My only problem is, how to fit the simracing in my life and what makes more sense. During the week, I very rarely will find time for it and I am left with weekends which might make iRacing a bit too expensive for the amount of racing I can do but on the other hand, with the limited time I have, and from what I've read, I can just fire it up and go for a competitive race whenever I find a time to spare.This, alongside the sense of accomplishment and racing "career" are the things that I am missing right now in the other sims.
I have little time to race, and even less chance of consistency of my times. I used to make an occasional league or other scheduled race time work, but I just can't anymore. That ability to hop on and get a pretty good race anytime is the only way I can race online anymore. Not every race is brilliant, but even my worst races now are just racing deals instead of someone being a numpty. If you're looking for a consistent experience that you can play at any time, then iRacing will probably be what you're looking for.
I think it's worth splitting the two things up which make a sim. The engine, and the models.

I think ISI's engine is very good. It has to be. That's what makes it so good for modders, why so many other developers license it, and what enables rFPro. It's also apparent in their stuff like RealRoad that they can track a lot of things to make a dynamic track that a customer (modder or otherwise) doesn't need to put a lot of effort into. On the engine side, iRacing certainly lags behind, their dynamic lighting, track, and other projects are still in development.

But the engine is just half of the picture. Without plugging in solid models and populating those models with good data, the engine isn't worth much. Your 'sim' will run well, but it won't correlate to reality. This is not to say iRacing necessarily does a great job, but if the question is whether ISI does well on this side I'm not sure that would be the common opinion. Why do we think Reiza gets so many more accolades on car handling? More to the point, my understanding is many (or most) rFPro customers are plugging in their own tire and car models, among whatever other physics code they need.

tl;dr, rFPro shows how well developed the ISI engine is, but not necessarily their modeling which teams like Reiza seem much more proficient at.

The funny thing is if u went real racing, the price of an iracing membership wouldn't even pay for the feul to drive 10 laps in a real race car, so I don't understand people saying its pricey, iracing is that close to the real deal it's not funny, r factor is still on the arcade side of gaming, people need to remember with iracing membership fees go to developing the game further, with real race car engineers and drivers from all forms of motor sports, very small price to pay IMO

NHL14 by comparison costs less than the $1000 worth of decent equipment and ice time that a worth while mens league hockey experience would provide.

So should we judge NHL on its merits as a game or just give it a pass becuase it costs less than the real thing.

So should we judge NHL on its merits as a game or just give it a pass becuase it costs less than the real thing.
Why would we give anything a pass. I only see responses to the chorus saying it's too expensive without a reason why. Obviously if you're going to spend 10x more money you should get 10x more enjoyment. You may not want to believe it, but some of us do, we can have different opinions. Not sure why you're so desperate to grind your axe.

And that's precisely why I suggest people do the trial before buying content, and why I help get the most value for their money. Also why I suggest anyone who isn't enjoying it to quit and play something else, if iRacing isn't a value for someone I don't want them becoming bitter when their sim racing funds could be better spent elsewhere.

YMMV, IMO, and so on.

I think it's worth splitting the two things up which make a sim. The engine, and the models.

I think ISI's engine is very good. It has to be. That's what makes it so good for modders, why so many other developers license it, and what enables rFPro. It's also apparent in their stuff like RealRoad that they can track a lot of things to make a dynamic track that a customer (modder or otherwise) doesn't need to put a lot of effort into. On the engine side, iRacing certainly lags behind, their dynamic lighting, track, and other projects are still in development.

But the engine is just half of the picture. Without plugging in solid models and populating those models with good data, the engine isn't worth much. Your 'sim' will run well, but it won't correlate to reality. This is not to say iRacing necessarily does a great job, but if the question is whether ISI does well on this side I'm not sure that would be the common opinion. Why do we think Reiza gets so many more accolades on car handling? More to the point, my understanding is many (or most) rFPro customers are plugging in their own tire and car models, among whatever other physics code they need.

tl;dr, rFPro shows how well developed the ISI engine is, but not necessarily their modeling which teams like Reiza seem much more proficient at.

Interesting post.

1- That's a battle I have been "fighting" for years. One thing is the core physics (of any sim), another is the data (the calibration) you have to feed it. It's like this with flight sims, it's like this with racing sims or even space flight sims. Same thing.

A lot of uninformed gamers, now siding with this or that next-gen sim, qualify ISIMotor2 as deficient or even bad (there's a known poster who even called ISIMotor2 and sims based on it as "arcade" games, go figure) because rFactor/GTR2/RACE07 have collected more than enough deficient, or outright bad mods. This only happened (both the bad modding, and the bad rap) because ISIMotor2 is open to modding and exploration of its physics.

The problem with ISIMotor2 is not the core physics, not the physics engine or even the game engine itself (though it's not imperfection free). The problem is the calibration models that modders and developers (from ISI, to SIMBIN and Blimey/SMS) have designed for it.

And the same could be said about NetKar Pro (exception made of the Gallardo mod), LFS or iRacing, with one major difference: none of these are open to scrutiny, to exploration and modding. Whatever is wrong with them can only be discerned through:
- (a) handling (and this requires either simracing hardcore experience or actual racing experience) or
- (b) telemetry (and only a fraction of simracers are knowledgeable; I doubt casual gamers even care enough to look at data sheets summations, let alone full telemetry) and a sheet of paper for some basic physics calculations.

So, on one hand, we have a very good physics engine (and game engine) , providing enormous flexibility and ample solutions to model cars.

On the other hand we have solid sims (NKP, LFS, iR) which are not open to modding.

None are flawless - which doesn't mean we can't discern degrees of precision and accuracy, because we can. We can't, however, know for sure if it's the physics engine or the physics calibration at fault in the case of NKP, LFS or iRacing.

That's the problem with iRacing: which is at fault? Dave Kaemmer's physics engine (as a whole, and the TM in particular) or the physics calibration people? No way of knowing yet - judging from the curriculum of current vehicle dynamicist Chris Lerch, after he has reviewed all models (past his Z4 GT3), if there are still faults these will be traced back to the physics engine.

2- That, however, is only part of the picture in regards to physics. There's also things related to the modelling programming itself (tick rates, solvers, error propagation, etc, etc). If ground collisions/detection are faulty, if the solvers used give rise to instabilities, they will have serious problems to contend with.

3- Reiza and their proficiency, which parallels the work done by a handful of modding groups. Some groups not only devise proper ways of dealing with physics engine, but also (oddly enough) have access to better, more extensive data than some developers do. They're also free of constraints - modding has one focus, which is authenticity mixed with uniqueness, both of which are certainly NOT the focus of most developers (which tend to mass produce or recycle, and worse still, target a much wider and less demanding audience).

As I said, one interesting post with a few inevitable followup thoughts.

PS: Chris DiBen. and I participated in those super-heated discussions spawned by Dave's initial thread about the newly release NTM. To the observant eye, those discussions explained much of what is still happening now.

And yes, in spite of the price, for some iRacing is worth it - hopefully, the physics issues will (someday...) get sorted out.

ISIMotor is precisely the evidence of what we're talking about. Look at what Reiza has been able to do with it!

With iRacing, while we're stuck with speculation, I always anticipate their engine to lag behind the others on feature set. The big reason being they don't really have the luxury to rewrite the engine from scratch. rF2 and AC have both started from scratch, because it's faster and easier to do so when you have such an updated set of requirements.

iRacing needs everything to fit with the old code, which might mean rewriting other pieces than you intended because the interface between those sections needs to be enhanced. They also need to maintain a stable system while adding features, and if they stopped adding features for a year to focus on a complete rewrite (which might have fewer features) of the engine would be met with howls of disapproval.

It looks like they've made some good hires recently and are improving workflow. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy in on what might be in the future, but I'm excited to see if they can make a similar leap to the other devs. iRacing benefited while the others releases were stagnant, now they've leapfrogged so we'll see if iRacing can catch up and passes them later in its development cycle.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back