Is iRacing still competive with other sims ?

Read some of the views about iRacing and how its been around now since 2008, and how the looks just don't compete with other sims. I do wish iRacing did have AI racing as well, but I also understand it was meant more for online, but that aside iRacing runs smooth and although probably not having the latest and greatest eye candy.
I think what most interests simmers isn't eye candy though, its submersion, and iRacing has this down pat. Besides at speed who really cares about looking at individual blades of grass anyways ?
Best thing is it runs great even on older PC's, which makes it available to many more simmers. If it does get updated, I wonder whether that will be the case.

IRacing is good too. I would consider it just as "hardcore" as RFactor 2, Stock Car Extreme, Live For Speed, Netkar Pro, Drivers Republic Alpha, etc. but all those not only feel different from one-another but drive/behave quite differently from one-another, so it's really up to you to decide.

Every sim should have a demo for that very reason - they all feel different (FFB) and, more importantly, they all drive differently (regardless of personal FFB "feel").

The best Skippy, in "iRacing World", would have been a sort of cross between the NTM4 and NTM5 one. It's more planted now, which in general is more realistic, but the "way" it's more planted is actually in a more digital and video game-ish way which makes some aspects of the NTM4 behaviour superior in-terms of reality. A sort of NTM "4.5" Skippy would have theoretically been the best iRacing Skippy until now (believe it or not, even some aspects of the earlier Skippys from the late 2000s weren't too far off the mark, but, ya, a NTM "4.5", overall, would probably have been the best up until now).

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority but graphics aren't high on my list of must haves. rFactor2 probably has the worst graphics but I'll take it over IRacing any day and even P CARS for that matter. Project CARS looks great to me but it's the numbest sim I own. But even with P CARS being numb, I still have a better understanding of what the cars are doing than I do in Iracing.

My main issue with IRacing is the physics. Granted I'm not the greatest driver but I have very little success saving myself in Iracing. Once the rear goes, if I can't catch it in spit second, I'm dead, lol. In every other sim, I can use different techniques to correct and keep driving which means I can race harder. In IRacing for the most part, I have no idea what the car is doing and how to correct it when it gets out of shape.

I finally got around to the Nordsliefe last night and it was all WTF for me. I tried out 3 different cars and I lost it in all of them and couldn't figure out how to prevent the crashes other than to slow down. Keep in mind that I run the ring in A/C almost every week so I'm fairly comfortable with the course. In A/C I can feel when the cars are moving around on their suspensions but more importantly, I can make the necessary corrections to keep going. I just can't figure out the physics in Iracing. It certainly could be all on me so I'm not blaming IRacing. But with that being the case, I find that I don't run IRacing as much as my other sims. I got started in sim racing with Forza 4 then moved to Iracing. I've been a member for a couple of years now and I own enough content to get the 20% discount on anything I buy. So I don't have a problem with the cost. I love the ease of running with other people online and that keeps me as a member. But I don't race that often to be honest because I can't race as hard as I'd like because I can't drive with the confidence that I won't spin and take out an innocent racer. So I do more practice sessions than races. Don't get me wrong, I spin and crash in other sims but in them, I feel like the mistake was all mine and I can learn from it. In Iracing, when I spin, I'm left wondering why and how do I prevent it from happening again.

In terms of usage, I'm probably 30% A/C, 20% P CARS, 20% rFactor2, 20% RaceRoom, 9% Iracing and 1% Dirt Rally (I suck at rally games) :)

@CCL - My experience is very similar but in time I have adjusted to the iRacing physics/quirks and I'm really enjoying it. I run I racing the most because of the MP and because my RL schedule just doesn't allow for any league participation. Unless I schedule and organize something myself.

I hear you @SnappyDEe Trust me, I've gotten much better over time but a lot of the cars just feel strange to me. It's hard to spend time in other sims then jump into Iracing. It's like I have to retrain my brain to drive the way IRacing wants me to. I am more comfortable in the MX than the gt3 cars though, so when I do race, it's typically in the Miata. And agreed about scheduling, I haven't done any Race Department races because it's difficult for me to commit to a day and time. With IRacing, I know that I can always find a race when it's convenient to me.

@CCL71 - I'm just starting to dabble with the GT3 cars. I've gone with the McLaren. Send me an FR and your availability. I will share the set up I have and maybe we can jump in the same practice session together. I also have the RuF and the Z4. What time zone are you in?

@SnappyDEe Sounds good. I have all f the gt3 cars, I like the Ruf the most. The mp4 understeers a bit too much for my liking, even after you make changes to the differential. It's also very stiff.....touch a curb and off you go, lol. I like the McLaren on smooth tracks like Silverstone. I had more problems controlling the McLaren at the Nurburgring than any other car; Every camber change in the road caused it to squirm and weave off line.

I'm on the east coast, EST time. I'll certainly FR you when I get home.

I completely agree with you on the physics front. Sometimes I just don't know what the car is going to do and why, yet I had a really good handle on a couple of cars in AC they just felt right.

I think AC also felt gritty and somehow real because of that whereas I racing is a little sterile.

The multilayer though.... Damn its good.

Thats the funny thing I used to run a lot of iracing online and multiplayer, but life family and race schedules pretty much put an end to that. But I keep it, and without racing that just means running by myself, which is OK for the challenge, but as far as racing against others I just don't seem to have the time, so in a way I keep asking myself why I keep paying out the money for something I really don't use for its actual intent.
When I did run I actually managed to win a few races, which surprised me quite a bit.

I think what most interests simmers isn't eye candy though, its submersion
Just need to point this out, not to be a spelling police, because I realize English is probably not your main language, but "submersion" to be fully surrounded by liquid (like water), so I reckon most simracers are NOT looking to be submersed :p
The word you're looking for is "immersed" :)

It's been a good while since I tried iRacing, but last time I did I thorougly enjoyed most of it. From physics to FFB to graphics and certainly the multiplayer aspect, I find them all to be good enough or great.
The one problem I have with iRacing (besides cost, but that's a different discussion all together :p) is the extremely harsh damage model. Practicing for a new track/car combination can be an exercise in extreme frustration as you have to restart from pitlane after making the smallest mistake.
Don't mind it being harsh in races, and I do realize that it's better if people are used to being careful from practice, but I'd love to not have to reset my car every damn time I mess up because practicing the entire track just takes that much longer that way ><

Actually english is my one and only language, however thinking and typing don't always cooperate, and when running iRacing when I first started maybe submersion was the best term as my reactions were so slow I felt as If I were surrounded by water.
iRacing doesn't cut you much slack , when you screw up and you will, its penalties are pretty unforgiving. Now this can be discouraging, but If you put some effort in, you'll get better.
in some ways it reminds me so much of Grand Prix Legends. It was also very hard to learn, and many gave up barely after they started. But the ones that put lots of practice in found it to be very rewarding, nothing like hitting an apex and sliding around in a four wheel drift, and tearing down a track at full tilt.
The ring reminds me a lot of Spa, probably my favorite track. The Ring always bit me at some point especially when it seems I had a good run going.
I still can't believe to this day, they actually run races there. Its one thing to just try and drive the track itself at 10/10ths, with no other cars involved. But then add an actual race, against other, and it seems your almost asking for trouble.
Thanks again for the correction Kjell, its good to know I'm not much better spelling than I am driving !

Actually english is my one and only language, however thinking and typing don't always cooperate, and when running iRacing when I first started maybe submersion was the best term as my reactions were so slow I felt as If I were surrounded by water.
iRacing doesn't cut you much slack , when you screw up and you will, its penalties are pretty unforgiving. Now this can be discouraging, but If you put some effort in, you'll get better.
in some ways it reminds me so much of Grand Prix Legends. It was also very hard to learn, and many gave up barely after they started. But the ones that put lots of practice in found it to be very rewarding, nothing like hitting an apex and sliding around in a four wheel drift, and tearing down a track at full tilt.
The ring reminds me a lot of Spa, probably my favorite track. The Ring always bit me at some point especially when it seems I had a good run going.
I still can't believe to this day, they actually run races there. Its one thing to just try and drive the track itself at 10/10ths, with no other cars involved. But then add an actual race, against other, and it seems your almost asking for trouble.
Thanks again for the correction Kjell, its good to know I'm not much better spelling than I am driving !
Check out my "iRacing - Hosted Events" thread and cast a vote.

LOL sorry for that, I just made a quick assumption as here's so many nationalities on these forums :p
Green Hell is a track I know fairly well by now, but that doesn't mean I don't still make mistakes :D
Not sure if I'm willing to pay for it again on iRacing though, it's a fun track to just cruise around on alone, can't imagine it's any fun for racing unless there's 50+ cars on the grid?

For me, being fast on a any track is about driving with confidence...confidence to know that if your car gets out of shape, you can feel it and make the necessary adjustments to keep going and pushing. The Green Hell is the last track you want to be on where you're driving without confidence. The track almost forces you to drive at the cars limits. If aren't sure where those limits are, you will most certainly crash. dead, kaput, finished. lol. I'm actually waiting to see if someone creates an Iracing crash compilation video like they do in real life at the 'ring. :)
I used to beat myself up a bit because I sucked so bad at Iracing...until I stated using other sims and found that I enjoyed the driving experience more. Iracing could have the most realistic physics of any sim and I still wouldn't care because at the end of the day, sim racing should be fun. And for me, driving most of the cars in Iracing is more work than fun so my time with it is limited. Thank goodness for A/C and rFactor2

I enjoy iRacing because I feel out of all the sims it takes the most commitment in how you approach a race or I call race weeks since I spend most days practicing for a particular series then do a race or two and thats it for the week, after that its some hosted sessions. Also I believe it takes the most concentration to drive and race craft because things have become more dynamic now. Ive been around iR since its inception, its turned me on and off, but in the end I always come back because I like the seriousness from the racing and development from it. Out of all the sims for me its hugely rewarding when you not just win but finish a race. For sure I enjoy the other sims, I even bought the DP3 for Assetto, looks good too. Currently my interest was sparked because of a discovery my driver settings for my T300 were wrong and just fiddling around with them, driving in iR has become more alive and I feel better than ever, Ive even crushed old nemesis from my iRacing pasts, haha.

Currently my interest was sparked because of a discovery my driver settings for my T300 were wrong and just fiddling around with them, driving in iR has become more alive and I feel better than ever, Ive even crushed old nemesis from my iRacing pasts, haha.

What are your settings for the t300 I have the same wheel and am curious to see what you've changed.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back