Is iRacing still competive with other sims ?

Read some of the views about iRacing and how its been around now since 2008, and how the looks just don't compete with other sims. I do wish iRacing did have AI racing as well, but I also understand it was meant more for online, but that aside iRacing runs smooth and although probably not having the latest and greatest eye candy.
I think what most interests simmers isn't eye candy though, its submersion, and iRacing has this down pat. Besides at speed who really cares about looking at individual blades of grass anyways ?
Best thing is it runs great even on older PC's, which makes it available to many more simmers. If it does get updated, I wonder whether that will be the case.

What are your settings for the t300 I have the same wheel and am curious to see what you've changed.
Originally I had all the driver settings at 100% because thats what I used for RaceRoom, but for iR all it did was numb all the ffb. Im used to my old logitech wheel settings I always used for iR. So I put the ffb strength to 100% and constant to 100%, everything else to 0. ingame set ffb to 11.2(your preference), damping and minimum force 0 and unchecked linear mode. I also use Fanatec CSR Pedals.

I use CSW V2 and couldn't feel comfortable until I uncheck linear mode. For me it changed everything. Now it's perfect.
Fun thing it only felt correct for me after checking linear mode. It goes more towards a kind of rF2 FFB. I have bought a 1 month subscription plus the BMW Z4 GT3 and the Nordschleife for a 24h race and I can't understand how many people can stand the physics. I usually drive rF2 or Dirt Rally, but I own/tested all other sims Gsce, rF1, AC, pCars, RaceRoom and compared to all of them iRacing is the worst for me at the limit. I think the general physics within the limit of the car are pretty good, but once you hit the limit it is a joke. With iRacing physics in real life we would see at least 20 death at every 24h Nürburgring race and not a single amateur driver in GT3.

With some adjustments I could work around the physics a bit, but there are so many WTF moments I really can't stand it. You hit a curb like real drivers you die, you want to correct a bit of oversteer you die pretty often, you caught a slide guess what 20m later the car somehow decides to continue the slide, go sideways and loose all control the front axle seems to ignore all inputs starting at a very low angle.

I bet good old Alex would have died at least three times with that lap in iRacing :D

Depends what your looking for in your sim/game imo.

Money aside...If your looking for close clean and competitive online (pickup) racing there is nothing else but iRacing imo. The physics are the same for everybody wheater "real" or not they do the job in providing close racing, and the netcode second to none.

If what your looking for is a game that focuses mainly reality aspect, then i guess there are better sim/games by now, not sure though.

As you can see the game also attracts lots of non-members with "sour grapes" issues! haha

Try out iRacing and make up your own mind! I never will understand the childish mentality of some to continually attack a game they do not like; they should just move on and enjoy the games they do like!

Fun thing it only felt correct for me after checking linear mode. It goes more towards a kind of rF2 FFB. I have bought a 1 month subscription plus the BMW Z4 GT3 and the Nordschleife for a 24h race and I can't understand how many people can stand the physics. I usually drive rF2 or Dirt Rally, but I own/tested all other sims Gsce, rF1, AC, pCars, RaceRoom and compared to all of them iRacing is the worst for me at the limit. I think the general physics within the limit of the car are pretty good, but once you hit the limit it is a joke. With iRacing physics in real life we would see at least 20 death at every 24h Nürburgring race and not a single amateur driver in GT3.

With some adjustments I could work around the physics a bit, but there are so many WTF moments I really can't stand it. You hit a curb like real drivers you die, you want to correct a bit of oversteer you die pretty often, you caught a slide guess what 20m later the car somehow decides to continue the slide, go sideways and loose all control the front axle seems to ignore all inputs starting at a very low angle.

I bet good old Alex would have died at least three times with that lap in iRacing :D

The BMW is especially bad for that... You can't get sideways at all with it, no more than maybe 5 degrees, otherwise it just snaps completely for some reasons, it's weird... There's just no traction from the rear tyres.

Every other GT3 cars are quite controllable over the limit, you can save slides and mistakes. Even at high speed if you have quick hands and good car control. Of course it's never gonna be AC's easy mode, and it shouldn't be. Rookie GT3 drivers IRL usually try not to get sideways at high speed, lol...

A lot of the handling now these days in iR also have to do with the track temps in the sessions or what you create. If the track is hot 100+ degrees, there will be very little traction and room for error. If it gets below 90F, its pretty grippy and can pull off some daring saves and deep braking. You just have to adjust the car setup and tire pressures to suit the conditions.

You make a lot of assumptions and offer up mostly non-constructive, useless replies.

What makes you think someone is a non-member? If I look YOU up (iRacing) there are 4 or 5 unused, what look to be trial/temporary accounts so don't run your mouth.

I'd say more but I'm sure the moderators would step in.

At least I'm offering objective, hands on experience with the product, combined with plenty of information, reference, links, etc., to backup what I say. People should get an informed, experienced (20yrs sim & real racing) perspective not 'FanBoi' BS.

You're a forum troll. Stay out of a conversation if you have NOTHING to offer. I will never understand the childish mentality of some who just shoot their mouths off when the only thing coming out is drivel.

haha, precious having you with your anti-sim diatribes calling me the forum troll! haha

Please do look me up on iRacing. Patrick Moore4
It is quite clear from your comment that you do not understand anything about how iracing membership and naming works. You are clutching at straws, mate! Whatever floats your boat.

Please do likewise and tell me the name on your iRacing account. Perhaps we can race together? seriously! but I am not fast so it will have to be a smaller car.
: )

only interested in the v8 supercars, job well done IR, but seriously , give us a bonnet driving view to start with, that cockpit looks great but , but seriously stupid if you think it's drivable ... and I'm not prepared to get used to something that forced .. IR if your listening ... big mistake ... get onto to your programmers and marketers ... you'll attract many more drivers if you think a little... but I know you won't ...

only interested in the v8 supercars, job well done IR, but seriously , give us a bonnet driving view to start with, that cockpit looks great but , but seriously stupid if you think it's drivable ... and I'm not prepared to get used to something that forced .. IR if your listening ... big mistake ... get onto to your programmers and marketers ... you'll attract many more drivers if you think a little... but I know you won't ...
So... You've got huge triples but cockpit view is undriveable ?

I can never take anyone who drivers with hood cam serious, might as well pretend your strapped to the hood. It gives an unfair advantage of seeing more and is of course not realistic at all. Its the same difference as those who play shooters that allow first person or 3rd person view, more advantage to see around corners. iR is meant to be more of a flight sim than a Project Cars game for everyone type. If your lucky enough to have triples and cant utilize them, I shake my head even more.

here is me admitting that in rally games i only play in bonnet view because getting the lay of the land is ridiculously difficult with one normal sized screen as compared to a real life windscreen. however, in track games i always play "realistic driver view because it gives you a far better idea of where oponents are. so, with iracing doing only this, i never had to adapt in the first place.

Hi William, of course it's drivable .... seriously do you think it's correct ? .... I don't think so .

Hi James, firstly , I prefer cockpit view, but in IR instance, and in particular the V8's it's totally wrong .... and with respect, let's not take personal preferences into count here ... those drivers whom feel they are a cut above others just because they drive in cockpit view.... whilst they use paddles, or drive an entire race without using clutch, don't heel toe ect ect ... one could debate they are also an unfair advantage .... Agreed.

lets not enter into a driver's personal preferences playing the game, The fact is the cockpit view with it's wobbling for the purpose I guess for realism is.....Wrong ...Period. Now there are those that just go with the flow and accept it how it is ... well and good and I say continue as I am and have been

BUT IT IS WRONG !! ....... IR should you be reading ....

only discussing V8's

vito, can't we switch the wobbling off? i think i did, never liked it in any game.

speaking of realism: getting into more than one event a week is quite possibly the most unrealistic about iRacing or any other game there is. however, these being games, who cares?

Hi William, of course it's drivable .... seriously do you think it's correct ? .... I don't think so .

Hi James, firstly , I prefer cockpit view, but in IR instance, and in particular the V8's it's totally wrong .... and with respect, let's not take personal preferences into count here ... those drivers whom feel they are a cut above others just because they drive in cockpit view.... whilst they use paddles, or drive an entire race without using clutch, don't heel toe ect ect ... one could debate they are also an unfair advantage .... Agreed.

lets not enter into a driver's personal preferences playing the game, The fact is the cockpit view with it's wobbling for the purpose I guess for realism is.....Wrong ...Period. Now there are those that just go with the flow and accept it how it is ... well and good and I say continue as I am and have been

BUT IT IS WRONG !! ....... IR should you be reading ....

only discussing V8's
Your possibly right, In all honesty I am sensitive to driving view as well but over time I do adapt, never perfect of course. And for detail, I have no choice but to heal and toe for the cars since that is the only way you can drive them in the sim, still most cars dont need the clutch anyway. The wobbling thing I dont know what your talking about there, never heard of anyone put that particular complaint out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back