PC1 How does Project Cars compares to Assetto Corsa?

I find it more humorous seeing the people who "dislike" Project CARS spend so much time and energy in forum sections dedicated to Project CARS.

Somewhat relevant to this thread, a recent article:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/how-realistic-is-project-cars/
Well it is funny how contradicting is was when the article said that they preheat the tires to 90 degrees, how real is that compared to iRacing tires when you gotta preheat them up yourself on the track? Sounds pretty arcade/assistish to me...

Well then there is nothing more for me to say. you won!

There is no winning. You asked why I didn't use iRacing that much so I explained. :)

Again, iRacing set the bar for creating "organized" online public racing. Nothing can touch it there and I don't foresee that changing any time in the near future. iRacing is still constantly working on their tire model, so it will continue to improve. They are a little behind today in that area with AC and pCARS since they are still patching their old model. I'm not sure they are ready yet to try and start a new one from scratch as it would be a risky business move.

Kunos and SMS have yet to be able to realize the full extents of their new tire models since as of today, we are still limited by home PC processing power. SMS has dialed back some of their tire physics capabilities to ensure performance on today's machines. They hope the next platform (yes, there are talks about a Project CARS 2 many years from now), can expose more of the tire model as processing power available on home machines and the next generations of consoles will be greater.

Tire_warmers_2012_WEC_Fuji.jpg

tire_warmers_BMW_Sauber.jpg

Well it is funny how contradicting is was when the article said that they preheat the tires to 90 degrees, how real is that compared to iRacing tires when you gotta preheat them up yourself on the track? Sounds pretty arcade/assistish to me...

You've never see tire warmers in real life? The only tires that are pre-heated in Project CARS are the ones that use tire warmers in real life (in Time Trial mode, the tires start out at "ideal" temps since it begins at the end of a rolling lap to start the players first flying lap).

Tire_warmers_2012_WEC_Fuji.jpg

tire_warmers_BMW_Sauber.jpg

You've never see tire warmers in real life? The only tires that are pre-heated in Project CARS are the ones that use tire warmers in real life (in Time Trial mode, the tires start out at "ideal" temps since it begins at the end of a rolling lap to start the players first flying lap).
It's refreshing to see a replier here speak with knowledge/proof and not just throw words around assuming this is the way it is and argue senseless points that has no merit/proof.

Last edited:
Ive had iracing for many yrs now and ill admit i quit enjoy the laser scanned tracks and multiplayer and the game is MUCH better than it was in the past but it still lacks many features compared to modern games and i wont mention the ridiculous price for its lack of road content cars.
Personally i think the physics of most games are as good as the wheel/setup you can afford and what you believe your feeling from it :)

regarding this comment Juliusz......

"Doesn't change the fact that they remember how the track feels in the laserscanned version compared to real life, what other option is needed?"

This is some what misleading......the precision and elevation of the track will be exact during the time of the scan but after time the track surface changes quit dramatically with heeves and groves etc....also iracing doesnt have a dynamic track with rubbering or dynamic weather system so they will never be able to get a decent feel to test different lines to see how the car reacts later in the race. They will how ever have the most acurate visual representation of the track of any game.
The majority of pro drivers that play these games use these tracks to practice visual memory, and the closest car physics engine to replicate a rl car is the cruden motion simulator that claims its within 2% due to the fact it car mimic movement.
Pcars also has 4 laser scanned track and hopefully some more will come in the future

Ps. Ranked best racing game of all time by PC GAMER

its amazing what your sponsor will say for you lol
there claim to fame they have been holding on to was also published in 2012, tho the best part of the article was this comment

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/iracing-news/iracing-named-to-pc-gamer’s-all-time-top-100

“As you can imagine, everyone at iRacing was delighted to hear this news,” says Tony Gardner, President of iRacing.com. “It’s gratifying when one of the leading authorities on gaming ranks you up there with the likes of Portal (ranked #1), World of Warcraft (#6) and ahead of other great motorsports titles such as Dirt 3, F1 2011 and Shift 2 Unleashed.
Some tuff racing competition there lol

Heres a comical review by a former pro driver during the time of Pc gamers post

Last edited:
I agree, that is one area where iRacing fails completely and is quite arcadish like Gran Turismo and Forza. Race cars have been utilizing tire warmers for quite some time, those coverings you see on tires in the pit area aren't just for decoration. Perhaps at some point iRacing will simulate tire warmers as well as PCars and Assetto Corsa does.

I love his take on Forza 4. That was my introduction to virtual racing. I had actually competed IRL, but always wondered why I wasn't getting the hang of things quicker. Looking back on it, Forza 4 physics are some of the worst ever produced, but that's not new news to you veterans. That's why I'm so looking forward to pCARS as a console user.

I agree, that is one area where iRacing fails completely and is quite arcadish like Gran Turismo and Forza. Race cars have been utilizing tire warmers for quite some time, those coverings you see on tires in the pit area aren't just for decoration. Perhaps at some point iRacing will simulate tire warmers as well as PCars and Assetto Corsa does.

Not gonna happen. Tyre warmers are heresy and must be killed with fire.

That Tiff Needle review tells you everything, no? The question is not how realistic is it, it's "Did I have fun?" - or, in a slightly longer and perhaps more debatable thing: "Did I have fun and was it worth the money I paid for it?"

Because these "What is the best sim" discussions (What the thread did devolve into for a bit) are pointless. As soon as Lewis Hamilton uses your favorite videogame to learn to win his races, and not the millions of dollars-worth setup he uses now, then you can call it a sim. Everything else is a game. Sure, they are brilliantly complicated and bizarrelly fun games, but in the end, they are 'just' videogames (and I, as an avid rock paper shotgun reader and massive fan of the "Games are just as much an art as films, books and music are" doctrine, would say that that is certainly not a bad thing).

So, people who have played this final build, can you please tell me if Project Cars is worth the asking price?

Agreed there all video games!
In know way am I trying to be rude with this response but to answer your question is it worth the price.....All depends on what your looking for in a game?
Do you want a well rounded overall product or do you want an iracing multiplayer with the most enhanced physics engine available?
The good.
Great cars
Good selection of tracks
Good Ai
Great career mode
Dynamic track and weather system
Good ffb and physics
Great sounds
Multiplayer/dedicated servers with good net code from what I've experienced
Penalty system
Easy to use ui
The bad
It doesn't have an iracing multiplayer system
No mods
No paint system for the console that I've seen yet (could come in an update?)
Somewhat complicated ffb setup system do to tons of sliders with very little info on what each does.
The ffb and physics have many of the features of rf2. Personally I feel the difference is rf2 effects are much more pronounced through the ffb than pcars.
Pcars lacks a few "fine tuning" sliders in the games option menu that I would have liked to seen by release day...exp. More custom sliders in the audio section.
All that being said no game is perfect but as an overall package I feel they built a very well rounded product with a very small budget compared to forza and gt who have $50 million + for production. Hopefully pcars will succeed and one day sms could have a bigger budget for future titles :)

Edit: I feel sms missed out on capitalizing with one feature that would have had hoards of fm5 fans trading in there game for a copy of pcars by simply adding a club community feature like fm4. I thought that was one of the coolest non racing feature in any racing title.
Easy to access paints and tunes, stats and the intimidation of showing up in a public server with 6 other club members and having your club prefix before your gamer tag

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea