PC1 How does Project Cars compares to Assetto Corsa?

Guys, you can put as much "disagree's" as you want, believe me, and AGAIN, rFactor2 is the most complete SIM out there, of course it has its fails, but it's far from what it was in the past! It's becoming into high levels of perfection and complexity, i bet most of you "disagreer's" never even tried it recently (that's obvious) and it's not coincidence that F1 and other motorsport teams use ISI engine in their simulators. Of course a huge complex simulator like rFactor2 is not easy to develop and get everything right in short time, but we'll talk in a few months or maybe in one year to see which is the reference in racing simulators ;)

Most of you arcaders don't even know this guy, but it's a simracing fan who plays a lot of "sims" and do reviews about them, usually with a very unbiased opinions, just listen to what he says carefully ;)

I tried rf2 recently and uninstalled it, ie, its crap.

So pcars has dodgy ffb, and uses a different set of scales to adjust it, and the devs dont plan on creating any proper ffb profiles for popular wheels?
I don't see a problem with ffb when concerning the support that has been given for my CSW and SMS has gone the extra mile with regards to controller support. You can have your opinion but what your posting is far from the truth. David your one of these people that I have had much disagreement with that I have tried to be as reasonable as possible with. You may not want to see it that way well what ever but when you make ridiculous quotes such as this(and the devs dont plan on creating any proper ffb profiles for popular wheels) I feel compelled to reply.
Have a nice day:rolleyes:

I don't see a problem with ffb when concerning the support that has been given for my CSW and SMS has gone the extra mile with regards to controller support. You can have your opinion but what your posting is far from the truth. David your one of these people that I have had much disagreement with that I have tried to be as reasonable as possible with. You may not want to see it that way well what ever but when you make ridiculous quotes such as this(and the devs dont plan on creating any proper ffb profiles for popular wheels) I feel compelled to reply.
Have a nice day:rolleyes:

I don't have a CSW champ, and IMO, included in the minimum and recommended specs should be which wheels are coded for, cause pcars and rf2 aren't coded properly for G27's....and that's fine, IF YOU WARN ME on the specs, but don't keep pretending that I'm the oddball, and that I'm the only one who has legitimate complaints, and if you want, I can source HUNDREDS of complaints all over the www, but you wanna keep that noise down right?...lol

I just reinstalled GTR2 and P&G, and damn, AWESOME FFB out the box, ie, the same logitec profile that I use on every other "proper" sim{deg of rotation varies from 540-900}, and a few minutes ingame setting it up...no such luck with rf2/pcars and even AC to some degree....all modern games which are bypassing the ffb motor of G27.

I think one reason why so many people find fault with Pcars handling is the fact that the default setups are designed for pad users. There are changes said to be coming later that will allow for different setups and save functionality that should help to diversify the setup options for use with various hardware but, the core physics are far more sophisticated than random samplings will reveal.

Another factor is that of near-optimal grip from the start. The default setups and warmed tires means that the cars are very forgiving from the get-go. Trying some different tires and/or conditions can demonstrate some interesting grip changes. One area that I feel Pcars may fall a bit short in handling terms is with off-track grip levels being too high but, I think that those are still being looked at.

The FFB defaults for various wheels are not fully optimized from the start IMO but, the customization and tune-ability is second to none once the various parameters are understood. The understanding of the settings is the only real hurdle to getting good FFB in Pcars whatever the hardware.

I've had the good fortune to test the AccuForce wheel with various titles and Pcars is one of the standouts in terms of FFB IMO. The others are rF2 and iRacing but, that is not my feeling when using other wheels such as the G25 and CSW-v1 where AC FFB had been my favorite.

Pcars may draw in a lot of new players ultimately coaxing them into exploring other PC Sim-racing titles thereby increasing the overall Sim user base. It will be interesting to see what the larger number of users can do to make the title suit their preferences but, it seems the potential is far greater than many realize.

Pcars is a bit like a suit that is meant to be a "one-size-fits-all" application with broad appeal among console and PC users. With some custom tailoring skills, the potential for it to satisfy a good portion of the Sim-racing community certainly exists. It may need to be unlocked to appeal to even more of us - we'll soon see.

In a nutshell. They just mentioned on WMD that the daily builds are about to cease and what we have now is pretty much what we will have at release.:(

To be fair, what they are referring to is the base content. They already have started work towards a D1P (Day 1 patch) for things that were close to the bubble but they couldn't get in prior to their target dates. The plan is also for support for patches and DLC for at least two years.

The good thing about the release coming is that you only need to find your FFB preferred settings "once". Those of us who have been getting the daily/weekly builds have had to recreate them all the time. :)

Yeah.. first give us the details. What wheel and what control panel settings.

I have never played rF2 but I do own Game Stock Car since it was first released (and absolutely love it!). In my opinion Project CARS has still vastly superior FFB.

Maybe the main thing is this: You say "..but what good is it if it can't be adjusted to feel the way I prefer?". Maybe what you prefer is not what I prefer and your idea of "detail" is vastly different to mine?

Detail in FFB to me is NOT BUMPS AND KERBS. It's frustrating how often people think this is "detail" when it comes to FFB. No.. detail is when you can precisely feel the OPTIMUM slip angle that you need to be at to have the best available grip in any given situation. No other simulator does this as well as Project CARS. It's miles ahead of the competition in this regard.

However, to get this awesomely detailed FFB you need to do some work. You need to read and understand the FFB manual (a separate PDF file provided by AJ, the physics wizard, at the forum). Then you need to realize that some FFB parameters are in the car setup menu, thus they are individual per car, and some are global parameters, found in the controller preferences.

You also need to make absolutely sure that you have FFB Strength value within Project CARS set to 100%. This very setting is a BIG FRIGGIN SCREW UP from Slightly Mad Studios. Why on earth they default most wheels at either 75 or in the Fanatec CSW v2 case it defaults at 50 (!!!) is just plain bizarre. This means you lose 25% or even 50% of your wheels potential dynamic range, which is a HUGE loss.

So the absolute first thing to do is: Set your wheel FFB strength to 100 and make sure FFB damping saturation slider is at zero. Many many wheels default to wrong values here.

Once you've done this I can give further optimization tips in a separate post.

Fanatec GT3RSv2. It's hard to say. The main thing is how it is not progressive. When turning and as the suspension loads you should feel the steering force become progressively stronger. In Pcars, the force is like on or off going from straight to turn in as if center spring is enabled when it's actually not. Also the steering force does not reduce and increase during a turn while the suspension loads and unloads while cresting hills or hitting bumps/undulations. The only time the steering force changes during a turn is when stomping the brakes and totally locking up the front tires and it becomes light like it should.

It feels like it is clipping badly even though telemetry says it's not.

Basically you describe a completely non-working FFB. But you need to be MUCH MORE SPECIFIC. Please. Try.

Ok, so you have a Fanatec GT3RSv2 wheel. We need much more information. What are your settings on the fanatec / control panel. What car are you driving/testing in Project CARS? The cars vary HUGELY in how they feel through the FFB (yet another rather unique trait of Project CARS).

Please make sure you get all the basics right first. You are aware that the profile has been moved? It's now in your steam folder. Make sure you delete it every single new build!.. so basically every day. If you do not it's no use going further with this..

Something in the plus column for AC is that its moddable.

But... for the 2nd time, an official AC patch has broken all car mods. And having been a sucker for paying $10 for the URD mod, I am irked to say the least.

Fanatec GT3RSv2. It's hard to say. The main thing is how it is not progressive. When turning and as the suspension loads you should feel the steering force become progressively stronger. In Pcars, the force is like on or off going from straight to turn in as if center spring is enabled when it's actually not. Also the steering force does not reduce and increase during a turn while the suspension loads and unloads while cresting hills or hitting bumps/undulations. The only time the steering force changes during a turn is when stomping the brakes and totally locking up the front tires and it becomes light like it should.

It feels like it is clipping badly even though telemetry says it's not.

David,

Unfortunately I can't help much with your settings as I'm currently a Logitech user. I say currently as I'm looking at going with a Thrustmaster T300 RS.

I do understand what you are saying and I'm not sure what you are looking for can be worked out aside from adding some dampening. The steering force does increase but it's based on the force the car is exerting. What I mean by that is you'll find that effect very pronounced in the faster formula based cars which support high cornering loads than the other vehicles. I feel that effect very pronounced in the Formula A and B, but not as pronounced in the street cars.

At first, I thought the effect should be more noticeable in the lower cars but I did some testing with my street cars and to be honest, the steering effort really isn't affected by the cornering loads in the vehicles. The only car I have which does have this sensation is my F-Type but it's programmed into the steering (and I can disable it in the dynamic configuration, i.e. it's artificially induced).

I'm not sure you'll get the effects you are looking for since Project CARS is mainly driving off steering rack forces rather than canned effects. Now, I said it, canned effects and people use that term in a negative way. I, for one, like some canned effects and don't believe they are evil. I like having options to enable/disable canned effects so people can tune the FFB to their own liking. I have a rSeat rig with two Buttkickers running via SimVibe, so some of the rumbles/bumps you may be missing I get through my vibration setup. What I'm getting at is that I may like what I have verses what your experience is just due to my current setup, not because I've found some settings in the title which you haven't found.

I will say there are some options on the per car FFB which you can use to get more of the road feel through the FFB. It's the first option in the car setup FFB options (I think it's Fx):

Fx scale (longitudinal forces) - Unless you use really much of this, you will mainly notice this as an added "noise" on the FFB when you hit kerbs etc. Higher amounts of Fx will make the steering wheel counter steer automatically against the slide, but will also make the steering movement on normal cornering feel heavier.

You want to increase this one, but you'll need to decrease the others to not add clipping. Something you can try is this:
  • Fx - Increase this to desired value (I usually use 120-130)
  • Fy - Decrease this to desired value (I usually use 80-90)
  • Fz - Decrease this to desired value (I usually use 80-90)
  • Mz - Increase this to desired value (I usually use 110)

Good luck and I hope there is a solution for you. I'm not familiar with the Fanatec wheel specific options to help you more.

When using the CSW-v1 with limited time to setup the FFB, I'd reduce the TF to about 70-75 just to get rid of the heavy center spring feel. I haven't tried this lately but, it also worked well when using other wheels to bring more detail. Lowering the Master Scale (per car setting) showed similar results for me.

I tried rf2 recently and uninstalled it, ie, its crap.
I have a G25 wheel and just recently installed the rF2 demo and used the same FF settings that i been using in Assetto Corsa and i thought rF2 felt really good and figured with some tweaks it could be even better. The inputs from my car's tires felt very connected with the tarmac and handled great. The only gripe i have is that the graphics at Silverstone looked like rF1. I use a GTX-970 with a AMD Phenom 965 overclocked to 3.8 Ghz.

NOTE: In Assetto Corsa i have no problems running a full grid (24) against AI or humans with many FPS to spare and the graphics look awesome!

To owners of rF2 are there any tracks which have much better graphics than what i'am seeing from the demo?

Last edited:
Do you have High Dynamic Range Imaging enabled in the Video Res settings?
Yes, HDR was selected as the default. What i see as low quality at Silverstone is the road textures and grass that appear blurry and not sharp/distinc like i'am use to observing in Assetto Corsa which i been using for over 1 year.

Note: Comparing many sims like (Assetto Corsa, GTR2, Race07,NR2003, Nascar Heat) I believe rF2's tire physics and FF are hands down/second to none! Very impressive!!

Driving the Corvette very fast through turns i didn't hear any tire squeel and the sound i heard was just mild tire scrubbing so with these type tires perhaps this is normal, not sure or is there settings i might not have set correctly?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%