F1 2017 How did a F2002 mod from AC end up in F1 2017???

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly you are an expert on licensing too now huh, and know better than actual game developers who actually deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis... fascinating.

:poop:

Your attempts at trolling arent even good or entertaining bruv, please try harder in the future.

I know more about licensing that you and the average modder because I was involved in a campaign that involved a broad range of IP, and trademark issues a few years ago, and dug out a few books and PDFs that lay out the laws and regulations in black and white. And I can read.

Now, posting a poop icon and calling me a troll is not an argument. And unless you have an an actual intelligent argument, please go away and let the adults talk.

Codemasters paid for the ability to use Ferrari's ip in their game.
Why would they need to pay at all if Ferrari ip is up for grabs for anybody to do with what they wil.

Therefore Codemasters do have a right to take down ip infringements of all kinds because they have a right to protect their investment. In the same way that you or I have the ability to protect things that we have paid our hard-earned money for.

Now, whether Codemasters act on their own or through FOM is irrelevant, the result will be the same.

• Deleted member 408599

[QUOTE = "Some_Guy_Here, post: 2612947, member: 407628"] Conozco más sobre las licencias que usted y el modificador promedio porque participé en una campaña que involucraba una amplia gama de problemas de IP y marcas hace algunos años, y sacó algunos libros y archivos PDF que muestran las leyes y regulaciones en blanco y negro. Y puedo leer

Ahora, publicar un ícono de caca y llamarme troll no es un argumento. Y a menos que tengas un argumento inteligente real, por favor vete y deja que los adultos hablen. [/ QUOTE]
dc6de7157fba8c430b476a1855622e12.jpg

Why would they need to pay at all if Ferrari ip is up for grabs for anybody to do with what they wil.

They pay because it adds value to their products and because they have no other option. At no point I said that its legal to use someone else ip without permission. I simply said that its not fair to compare "bad ethics" between a random person and a multimilionnaire.

Now, whether Codemasters act on their own or through FOM is irrelevant, the result will be the same.

There is a huge difference between both things. The result is what is irrelevant.

They pay because it adds value to their products and because they have no other option. At no point I said that its legal to use someone else ip without permission. I simply said that its not fair to compare "bad ethics" between a random person and a multimilionnaire.

There is a huge difference between both things. The result is what is irrelevant.

This is the most insane argument I've ever read.

They pay because it adds value to their product and because they have no other option? What on earth does that even mean?

And ethics are ethics, whether it's a big developer like Codemasters or a small developer working in his bedroom.

Therefore Codemasters do have a right to take down ip infringements of all kinds because they have a right to protect their investment. In the same way that you or I have the ability to protect things that we have paid our hard-earned money for.

They also have the right to stole content and make money out of it?

They also have the right to stole content and make money out of it?

Ok let me approach this from a different side that hopefully you will undesrstand.

Imagine you've invented a product which you are selling and making a profit from. You've patented the ip for that product, which means that nobody is allowed to copy your design and compete with you in the marketplace. This is very important to you because you've worked really hard to design and make it and you've put a massive amount of money into it. In fact, you had to take out a loan.

Now somebody else has managed to copy your design and is also selling the same product, but for less because they didn't have to invest as much money into the research and Develoment.

Is this fair? Do you have a legal right to stop them. You bet your sweet **** you do, because it's your ip.

Does it matter that your competitor made his own cad computer model of your invention? Not one bit. He's still infringing on your ip.

Does it matter that he spent 1000 hours modelling your invention in cad? Again, not one bit.

What is the value of his modelling work? It's actually $0. Why? Because value is determined by how much somebody is prepared to pay for your work. And nobody will pay anything for your work because any use for that work would be illegal.

Does that clarify the matter somewhat. And do you now see why ip laws exist and why they are enforced where possible?

Ok let me approach this from a different side that hopefully you will undesrstand.

Imagine you've invented a product which you are selling and making a profit from. You've patented the ip for that product, which means that nobody is allowed to copy your design and compete with you in the marketplace. This is very important to you because you've worked really hard to design and make it and you've put a massive amount of money into it. In fact, you had to take out a loan.

Now somebody else has managed to copy your design and is also selling the same product, but for less because they didn't have to invest as much money into the research and Develoment.

Is this fair? Do you have a legal right to stop them. You bet your sweet **** you do, because it's your ip.

Does it matter that your competitor made his own cad computer model of your invention? Not one bit. He's still infringing on your ip.

Does it matter that he spent 1000 hours modelling your invention in cad? Again, not one bit.

What is the value of his modelling work? It's actually $0. Why? Because value is determined by how much somebody is prepared to pay for your work. And nobody will pay anything for your work because any use for that work would be illegal.

Does that clarify the matter somewhat. And do you now see why ip laws exist and why they are enforced where possible?

You don´t seem to understand my question:
- Codemasters has the right to stole content?
If they don´t, why you just can´t say something like this?:
"Hey, Codemasters stole content from this guy, who maybe didn´t do everything as he should but still he put the effort on it, shared it for free to AC gamers and got his work stolen from, I don´t like this."
Instead of that, you just keep in saying things that don´t matter much in this matter, which is: a game developer has just stolen content from a modder.

Anyway, can you answer the question that I did in the first place, please?

• Deleted member 408599

[QUOTE = "gt362gamer, post: 2613011, member: 319660"] Parece que no entiendes mi pregunta:
- Codemasters tiene el derecho de robar contenido?
Si no lo hacen, ¿por qué no puedes decir algo como esto ?:
"Oye, Codemasters le robó contenido a este tipo, que tal vez no hizo todo lo que debería, pero aun así se esforzó, lo compartió gratis con los jugadores de AC y le robaron su trabajo, no me gusta esto. "
En lugar de eso, solo sigues diciendo cosas que no importan mucho en este asunto, que es: un desarrollador de juegos acaba de robar contenido de un modificador.

De todos modos, ¿puedes responder la pregunta que hice en primer lugar, por favor? [/ QUOTE]
He already did: " In fact, to take the model of someone is a bad practice, as to sell IP Ferrari without his permission to be a bad practice, in addition to be illegal . Neither Codemasters, nor the OP stand on particularly high moral ground here, although from a legal point of view codemasters have a stronger case against the OP than the OP does against Codemasters, for the reasons I've already pointed out".

You don´t seem to understand my question:
- Codemasters has the right to stole content?
If they don´t, why you just can´t say something like this?:
"Hey, Codemasters stole content from this guy, who maybe didn´t do everything as he should but still he put the effort on it, shared it for free to AC gamers and got his work stolen from, I don´t like this."
Instead of that, you just keep in saying things that don´t matter much in this matter, which is: a game developer has just stolen content from a modder.

Anyway, can you answer the question that I did in the first place, please?

Codemasters didn't steal it, it was available as a free mod. Which means that if you or I are allowed to download it for free, Codemasters is also allowed to download it for free.

In other words, the OP was tacitly giving away his modelling work for free. The only thing that had to be paid for was the license to use the ip in the mod commercially, and Codemasters did pay for the right to use it commercially.

I think it's worth pointing out once again that the OP did not suffer any loss of income as a result of Codematers actions. And in a court of law the first thing he would be asked is how much he lost in tangible dollars and cents so that Codematers could compensate him. As the model had no commercial value due to the fact that the OP is not allowed to sell it, he would have no case.

Codemasters didn't steal it, it was available as a free mod. Which means that if you or I are allowed to download it for free, Codemasters is also allowed to download it for free.

In other words, the OP was tacitly giving away his modelling work for free. The only thing that had to be paid for was the license to use the ip in the mod commercially, and Codemasters did pay for the right to use it commercially.

I think it's worth pointing out once again that the OP did not suffer any loss of income as a result of Codematers actions. And in a court of law the first thing he would be asked is how much he lost in tangible dollars and cents so that Codematers could compensate him. As the model had no commercial value due to the fact that the OP is not allowed to sell it, he would have no case.

Codemasters didn´t use the model as gamers, they used the model and included it with minor change in one of their games, claiming it as part of their official content, and making money out of it. There´s a little difference between both practises...

So yeah, Codemasters did steal it, or, if you want a more precise definition, they appropriated the model and exploited it commercially, and if you don´t understand why that´s way worse than using some official stripes from Ferrari, I guess we live in different worlds, where in mine, if a person lead his 2nd home to his friend in financial trouble and he rent this home as if it was from him, without the permission of the owner, I would say that friend is disgusting, while you would say it´s fine because he didn´t lose income as he pays the extra costs..

Codemasters didn´t use the model as gamers, they used the model and included it with minor change in one of their games, claiming it as part of their official content, and making money out of it. There´s a little difference between both practises...

So yeah, Codemasters did steal it, or, if you want a more precise definition, they appropriated the model and exploited it commercially, and if you don´t understand why that´s way worse than using some official stripes from Ferrari, I guess we live in different worlds, where in mine, if a person lead his 2nd home to his friend in financial trouble and he rent this home as if it was from him, without the permission of the owner, I would say that friend is disgusting, while you would say it´s fine because he didn´t lose income as he pays the extra costs..

Please point me to the disclaimer that states the mod can only be used by gamers. If it's free and there are no stipulations as to how and by whom it can be used then it's free. And things that are free cannot be stolen.

Also it is pretty clear that you have no knowledge of what ip actually protects. It doesn't just protect stripes; it protects the body design as well. Even if the body design has little resemblance to the real thing, merely marketing it as a Ferrari constitutes an ip infringement.

Again I ask you to quantify the loss of income the OP suffered as a result of Codemasters actions.

Last edited:
To those who are ready to crucify codemasters for this, can I have a show of hands if you ever financially compensated a modder for creating a mod that you particularly enjoyed.

Just like Codemasters you are not legally obligated to do so, but from an ethical point of view and to show good will and your appreciation of the mod you most certainly can send some money to the modder who created the mod.

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back