F1 2017 How did a F2002 mod from AC end up in F1 2017???

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting is that Ferrari do have a decent (albeit much less detailed than more recent ones) CAD model of the F2004 that they made available to us, I doubt they were playing favourites, the F2002 was not that older of a car.
You said you work for Kunos, right?
I think the difference between Kunos and Codemasters is that you have a licence agreement directly with Ferrari. Codemasters just with FIA and FOM. And I don't think either of them has a CAD for any car that is or was on the grid.

I'm not sure how the approvals are done if it's a series, but I'd imagine the cars still have to go through the individual manufacturers, so if they have requirements, they should also supply the means. Nevertheless, you might be right.

You said you work for Kunos, right?
I think the difference between Kunos and Codemasters is that you have a licence agreement directly with Ferrari. Codemasters just with FIA and FOM. And I don't think either of them has a CAD for any car that is or was on the grid.

I'm not sure how the approvals are done if it's a series, but I'd imagine the cars still have to go through the individual manufacturers, so if they have requirements, they should also supply the means. Nevertheless, you might be right.
I was quite curious to this also a while back ,
so compared the F1 2015 cars namely the SF15 , side by side , I know kunos cars are exceptional and was surprised to be honest how accurate the codemasters car actually was , not 100% identical to the kunos SF maybe simply due to the limitations of the model sizes in poly ,
but they are really really accurate was quite impressed to be honest , over the years I have read 1000,s of rumors / speculation with these codemasters games regarding reference , the kunos car is a lot more accurate in terms of sheer details but the codemasters version must have been made with some pretty damn nice reference :)

In one of the F1 2017 artists portfolio he listed this for one of the 2017 cars he worked on:
“Vehicle was modelled using viewport camera matches and for full accuracy CAD Data was provided.”

But listed this on one of the classic cars he worked on:
“Vehicle was modelled using viewport camera matches for full accuracy without any CAD Data.”

So he had CAD data on the 2017 cars but not on the classic car he worked on.

OK...I understood that purchasers need to be careful about usage of those 3d Models.
but what about sellers. they don't need to worry about copyright(patent?) issue even if they're selling 3D models of Ferrari F1 machines?
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but, I'm not familiar with this type of topic...

I just got the answer from Turbosquid.
they said "You are allowed to post your 3D representation of a Ferrari model, however you will need to publish the model with the correct license."

I don't know what the corrent license means. A Licence agreement between him and Ferrari or FOM? But since salamandersoldier has been selling the Ferrari model, I hope He has "the correct license".

they said "You are allowed to post your 3D representation of a Ferrari model, however you will need to publish the model with the correct license."

I don't know what the corrent license means. A Licence agreement between him and Ferrari or FOM? But since salamandersoldier has been selling the Ferrari model, I hope He has "the correct license".

The correct license to be able to sell the model commercially. It can be either from Ferrari or from FOM. And no, Salamander does not have the license to sell it commercially. If He had he would would have told us ages ago when I asked him to put a value on the model.

So Salamander, here is your chance to prove me wrong, show us your license to be able able to sell the model commercially. Otherwise you're braking the law, my friend.

This settles the problem if OP can or cannot sell the model. Because even Turbosquid sais you need a license to sell copyrighted material.

Now all OP has to solve, is the problem with the someone that took his model.

This settles the problem if OP can or cannot sell the model. Because even Turbosquid sais you need a license to sell copyrighted material.

Now all OP has to solve, is the problem with the someone that took his model.

The model wasn't his because the model cannot be separated from Ferrari's intellectual property that the model depicts. Plus he was giving it away for free. So there is no problem to solve. The only legal case he would have is if Codies did something that resulted in a loss of income, in which case Codies would be ordered to compensate him.

You gotta love the irony. A guy opens a forum accusing a company of doing something wrong and it turns out that he himself had been doing something wrong -- and illegal to boot.

The model wasn't his because the model cannot be separated from Ferrari's intellectual property that the model depicts. Plus he was giving it away for free. So there is no problem to solve. The only legal case he would have is if Codies did something that resulted in a loss of income, in which case Codies would be ordered to compensate him.

You gotta love the irony. A guy opens a forum accusing a company of doing something wrong and it turns out that he himself had been doing something wrong -- and illegal to boot.
Who made the model? OP. Did he have the legal autorization? No. But this can't stop him from doing that, even if for personal delight.
Making something for free doesn't equal to "anyone can take it and use it as they please".
I create a lot of OC (video and photo editing, in primis). I release them for free on my youtube, facebook and deviantart. But if you were going to take them and repost them, or sell them as yours, then you're violating my copyright.

Last edited:
Who made the model? OP. Did he have the legal autorization? No. But this can't stop him from doing that, even if for personal delight.
Making something for free doesn't equal to "anyone can take it and use it as they please".
I create a lot of OC (video and photo editing, in primis). I release them for free on my youtube, facebook and deviantart. But if you were going to take them and repost them, or sell them as yours, then you're violating my copyright.

This can't stop him from doing what?

He was giving the model away for free for people to use in video games, so presumably he didn't mind if people used it in video games for free. Why the sudden change of heart?

Also cases such as this don't go to court for personal delight; it would be a waste of taxpayer money. The court needs to be able to establish the damage done to the OP, financial or otherwise, in order for Codemasters to compensate him.

The third factor is the fact that the modelling work in question led to an illegal activity, which isn't something that courts view favourably.

And your video editing example only muddies the waters. If the videos and photos are not yours then you still need to ask the owner of those images for permission before you can edit them and distribute them for free. Editing them does not make them your images and it does not give you a right to distribute them for free, or otherwise, without the owners permission.

If they are your images and you edit them then no problem, because you are the sole copyright holder.

If the OP had designed his own single seater and Codies used it in their game without his permission then he has a strong case because that would constitute an ip infringement.

Dude, you really need to get off that court stuff you're always telling us. I'll hardly doubt Salamander ever had the intention to sue CM, he's just pissed that a big company like them needs to take any 4th party content and don't even give any freaking credits. That's it.
I'd be pissed off aswell if GP2M Ltd. would suddenly use 'my' GP3 mods for their own game. Yeah, I released it all for free and sh*t, but also I want to get the credits for that. And that's all what OP is about.

Anyways, why do you stay so strong on your opinion? It's you against basically all sim racers and you know very well that we won't change our point of view, especially not for anyone who's so importunate.

Dude, you really need to get off that court stuff you're always telling us. I'll hardly doubt Salamander ever had the intention to sue CM, he's just pissed that a big company like them needs to take any 4th party content and don't even give any freaking credits. That's it.
I'd be pissed off aswell if GP2M Ltd. would suddenly use 'my' GP3 mods for their own game. Yeah, I released it all for free and sh*t, but also I want to get the credits for that. And that's all what OP is about.

Anyways, why do you stay so strong on your opinion? It's you against basically all sim racers and you know very well that we won't change our point of view, especially not for anyone who's so importunate.

I don't need to do anything. The OP may be pissed off that his model was allegedly used in a game by Codematers. Fact of the matter is he gave it away for free for use in games. Also do you think companies like Ferrari are not pissed off that their ip is getting stolen on a daily basis by thousands of people and given away for free or sold for profit?

Do you think developers who pay the big bucks for officially licensed content are not pissed off that other developers are competing with them and making money from similar content without ever paying a cent in licensing fees.

You and all those other sim racers would do well to take off those blinkers of yours and see the situation for what it really is.

I don't need to do anything. The OP may be pissed off that his model was allegedly used in a game by Codematers. Fact of the matter is he gave it away for free for use in games.

Making a mod for 1 specific game is entirely different than releasing a piece of content to be used in any game under the sun.

There is such a thing as making a piece of content for a specific purpose, and having that piece of content illegally ripped and put into another game by a major studio is certainly not part of the intended purpose of the mod. Not to mention you cant just take the AC mod and plop it down into F1 2017, you would need to extract the 3d model to make tweaks on, which also clearly goes against the intent of what the mod author wanted.

You and all those other sim racers would do well to take off those blinkers of yours and see the situation for what it really is.

Rich...

Anyway, up to 51 messages in this single thread now. The hell kind of axe do you have to grind here?

Rich...

Anyway, up to 51 messages in this single thread now. The hell kind of axe do you have to grind here?

I can't stand hypocrisy. That's all.

A guy steals Ferrari ip and sells it for profit and it's all fine and dandy. Someone uses a model that was being given away for free in another game and it's the end of the world.

What is the real issue here? That the model was meant for Assetto Corsa and ended up in a Codemasters game? Is that at the root the problem, the overwhelming hatred of Codemasters?

I can't stand hypocrisy. That's all.

A guy steals Ferrari ip and sells it for profit and it's all fine and dandy. Someone uses a model that was being given away for free in another game and it's the end of the world.

What is the real issue here? That the model was meant for Assetto Corsa and ended up in a Codemasters game? Is that at the root the problem, the overwhelming hatred of Codemasters?

You do work for Codemasters. ;):rolleyes:

• Deleted member 408599

The OP gives the Mod del Ferrari F2002, and now that a great company uses, gets furious because it wants a part of the cake of CM...

Hatred towards CM, Turn 10, Polyphony, EA... I deign of a sociological study...

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP gives the Mod del Ferrari F2002, and now that a great company uses, gets furious because it wants a part of the cake of CM...

Hatred towards CM, Turn 10, Polyphony, EA... I deign of a sociological study...
What is wrong with a little cake? I like cake. Here is some cake for you Arturo. You can give some to your friend, some nobody guy. I made it just for you two.
OlB1er2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back