Released Hondsrugring

Strange you should mention that, Ive just been fixing 11-odd km's of fencing on one of my own tracks that was collide-able the wrong way around-I could go through it but couldn't get back to the track.
I used the wall tool to construct it & had deleted the wrong side of the wall when changing it from the standard white block to a wire fence.
I rebuilt it into the same original shape & then deleted the side that was furthest from the road & now it works as it should.
The fence is well outside the red part of the AIW.
I'll try posting a lap later on FB's BTB page.
Don't you just love BTB's AIW on a long track....click/move....waiting....waiting.....waiting! LoL!
(It can take upto 5 minutes or more to move an AIW point with an 80km track on my PC.)

Had thought earlier, I could probably do some screen shots of your track in rF where Ive noticed the fuzziness & message them via FB to you if you want- Ive had very little luck with sites like Flicker & Photo Bucket.

Oh & I meant to say earlier too, those paved sections look fantastic- almost mesmeric at speed!

I have worked out the MIPS problems. The textures are really looking good now! thanks for that.
I have a lot of screenies on facebook from the track. So it should be easy to send me some screenies.

At least i am getting closer to the final version 3.0 release!

Final release on the way!!

I have rebuild the AVEBE factory in Gasselternijveen.

avebe.jpg

avebe2.jpg

About MIPMAP bias: If it's too high (closer to zero) the texture is fuzzy. if it's too low, the texture starts to "shimmer". For those that don't know what mipmaps are, here's a brief explanation, more can be found here: http://simtrackipedia.wikidot.com/mipmapping-tutorial

Mipmaps are smaller resolution version from the main texture all packed to one DDS texturefile. If your texture is 512x512px, the first mipmap level is 256x256px, second level is 128x128px and so on. When the texture is far away it would take additional processing power from GPU to scale the large texture on-the-fly. With mipmap that scaling is preprocessed and the game can use smaller textures for far away objects. The quality of the original texture is much higher when it's preprocessed as the DDS plugin can use more complex algorithms to preserve as much detail as possible. On-the-fly conversions are much lower quality as GPU has to use very simple scaling algorithms. The only downside of mipmapping is the increased filesizes and bandwidth usage.

gMotor2 has it's own mipmap levelling where 0 basically always uses the lowest mipmap level available, the original texture will only appear if the distance to texture is near to zero. Negative levels forces the GPU to use larger mipmaps sacrificing a little bit of processing power for better quality (we are also projecting those textures to 3D world where it very rarely is projected to flat rectangle parallel to screen but in some angle, that projection needs a bit of freedom..).

Usually anything above -2 is undesirable and anything below -6 disables the mipmaps all together (if the texture has 6 mipmap levels) and uses the largest map available at all times. With smaller resolution textures like 128x128 there really is no need to use all 6 levels but the filesize difference is really low, we are talking about single bytes, not even kilobytes in those last levels (6th level mipmap from 128x128px texture is 4x4px :) )... With extra large textures it may be necessary to increase mipmap levels but i haven't yet met such occasion where a large texture would be so far away that it needs more than 6 levels (usually those are the background images like mountain ranges, city skylines etc, they usually always occupy large portions of the screen..)

Using different mipmap levels for the other shader maps can be used too, for ex using a smaller resolution bumbmap with more negative mipmap bias for objects that never are very close can save some space or to "smooth" ragged bumbmaps with less negative mipmap than diffuse. Also take note of scaling, if you increase scaling in BTB venue material editor you need to adjust mipmap bias too...

Ok, i am still working on this.
But i have another question: I want to release this track for GTR2 also. Now some surfaces are not driveable.
I use some default textures for the roads. All are driveable. Cobble roads are driveable. But there are roads with some different textures that are not driveable, just like some grass textures aside the track.
I gave all the road textures in BTB a surface definition in "venue materials" (roada, roadax, grass and so on..)
while it gives a warning about matching the tdf-file. Do i have to make changes in the TDF-file and if so what do i have to change?

the problem is the driveablility of surfaces. The car sinks into roads.

That happens if the material is not named as one of the "driveable" materials. If the name doesn't fit, the material has only collision detection capability. HAT is what defines the tire/terrain interaction, if the material doesn't fit, it's not included in HAT geometry.

EDIT: Damn, i like this Xenforo forum software, the auto-correction is golden.. :)

That happens if the material is not named as one of the "driveable" materials. If the name doesn't fit, the material has only collision detection capability. HAT is what defines the tire/terrain interaction, if the material doesn't fit, it's not included in HAT geometry.

EDIT: Damn, i like this Xenforo forum software, the auto-correction is golden.. :)

So i have to add the material into the TDF file?

textureprob_1.jpg

Did you check the thread link? It has the correct material names (AFAIK, at least my track that use for ex lgroad, works fine in GTR2), you need to type them into "In-game material" box. If you want to use rFactor material names, then you need to edit TDF. It's a bug in BTB and the main reason why no-one uses other than materials"roada" "gras", "rmbl" and "grvl". Other materials in SimBin games are lgroad, b1road, b2road, b3road, drain, gbrm etc, all that are listed in the this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/race07-materials.46345/

Did you check the thread link? It has the correct material names (AFAIK, at least my track that use for ex lgroad, works fine in GTR2), you need to type them into "In-game material" box. If you want to use rFactor material names, then you need to edit TDF. It's a bug in BTB and the main reason why no-one uses other than materials"roada" "gras", "rmbl" and "grvl". Other materials in SimBin games are lgroad, b1road, b2road, b3road, drain, grbm etc, all that are listed in the this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/race07-materials.46345/
Now i understand!

Done to increase frame rate:
  • uncheck collision to all objects right next to the track.
  • only objects right next to the track can receive lights
  • only objects right next to the track give some shadows.

Added 1 problem:
In the mirror the surface disappears for a while after the Drouwen hairpin.
It is not a particular texture problem. Changing the texture did not solve it.
  • mip bias "0"
  • texture size smaller than or 256x256.
Could it be that the GMT is too big?

textureproblem.JPG

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back