Hoernle's Belt Tensioner - Detailed Build Instructions

@Kaj Rosenqvist That is a very weird effect that you are reporting. Did you set the P98 parameter to 8?
I did set everything like you at page 1, except P9 to 5. I wanted to reduce max force so low that it isnt unwinding belts, or it just moves very slowly. Point is that force cant overcome inner friction. I use srs software and it can only use surge as belt action. Surge force is positive when braking, and negative on acceleration, so that it is going to use motor both directions.

Last edited:
Just chiming in to say this design is genius and I'm happy to see an active thread discussing the ins and outs. Hoernle, I found your instructions to be really helpful, especially the product list. I've added this to my SFX100 order with Amy Chen and I'm looking forward to getting everything installed.

I hope to contribute soon by sharing my seat roller STL for an NRG Prisma seat, giving the community more seat options to pair with this build.

I did set everything like you at page 1, except P9 to 5. I wanted to reduce max force so low that it isnt unwinding belts, or it just moves very slowly. Point is that force cant overcome inner friction. I use srs software and it can only use surge as belt action. Surge force is positive when braking, and negative on acceleration, so that it is going to use motor both directions.
So it seems to be a SRS issue if surge cannot be setup to only work under braking. Good that you found a clever workaround :).

Cool :)
Could you share some pictures of your 80st belt tensioner?

IMG_4226.JPG

@TheFuture2020 see attachment for the belt guide for the waist belts.

If you would like to use a 80ST servo motor instead of the recommended 90ST, this should work but you need a different motor mount (Link) and a different motor coupling (Link). For the coupling you have to choose 10x19 since the drive shaft of the 80ST motor is 19mm thick.
The whole build will be a bit less compact due to the larger coupling.

Disclaimer: I just quickly googled the parts and checked if they would fit in theory. I didn't test/build it myself.
@Ksero_0 check out this post. For a 80st motor you need also a different coupling.

@Sullivan59 please chime in if you changed something else.

Last edited:
Hi Kaj, I have built Hoernles belt as well and using Thanos and SRS. Is there a function in SRS to minimize the tension/torque so it doesnt press you too much in the seat without loosing responsiveness? What I found out so far is, that only the Belt Tensioner Factor and Long G Surge Decel as well as Max telemetry value on Long G Surge has an effect. I played around but my feeling is that responsiveness of the Belt and force is somehow linked. What is your experience and are there some settings that work for you? My goal is to have good responsiveness without pressing you in the seat like you have 200 pounds on the chest :) Thank you in advance!

I can second that all the 80st needs is the different coupling.
Would be great if we could get people posting there rough software settings for this on different games, Sim Racing Studio, FlyPT Mover, Simtools, and different hardware - Thanos etc :thumbsup:

See attachment for the modified small pulley prints with only two jaws. I dont have a two-jaw coupling here so I had to design it with some models I found online. Please try it and report back if they fit or not.
Hi Hoernle - Any chance you can provide me with that small pully model so I can tweak for the 2 jaw coupling I received from Amy Chen? Your model is too tight, but I could tweak the design to fit and share back with you/everyone.

Your model for the 2 jaw looks to be ~7mm at the widest part of the jaws. The coupling I have is 9mm at the widest points. Happy to make the tweak if you don't mind sharing.

Let me check if I can quickly fix it for you. Could you send a picture of your coupling?
My impatience got the best of me and I went ahead and designed a smaller pulley myself. It fits the 2-jaw coupling (D20L25 series) that I ordered from Amy Chen. I've attached the .STL file here, in case its useful for future forum readers. Hoernle, you're very welcome to add it to your thingiverse page as well, giving users the 3 or 2 prong options.

Thanks you for sharing. It's work very well with a motor 80st.
Which harness are you using?

Attachments

• Belt Tensioner - 2 Jaw HTD Pulley.stl
    133.7 KB · Views: 58
Hi @MacRozie Great that you could solve it yourself. I will add your design to the thingiverse package with the appropriate reference. Thanks for the offer.

Did it fit very tightly? There should be no play since it would compensate responsiveness.

Dear all,

I uploaded my newest version 1.3 of the belt tensioner. Check out the google drive link in the main post on page 1.
The newest version now contains a detailed instruction how to program the servo controllers and how to set up/fine-tune the belt tensioner with SimFeedback.

Enjoy!

Anyone running this through Thanos/SRS? I've got my kit built and running. Everything seems to work, though I'm not finding good settings to use the belt in SRS for games. So far only testing in BeamNG.

Anyone have some SRS settings to share?

@MacRozie I am not using SRS so I cannot comment but check out this post.
For all the others, please chime in and share your experiences with a DIY belt tensioner and SRS.

Thanks, I missed that post. Played with the surge tuning and now I’m happy with everything. The Hoernle build looks great on my rig and works equally as well.

For future readers building this with a Thanos controller: go ahead and wire in the remote step controller for the belt port. I LOVE having a microswitch up by my seat to make minor adjustments to the belt tension on the fly.

Thanks, I missed that post. Played with the surge tuning and now I’m happy with everything. The Hoernle build looks great on my rig and works equally as well.

For future readers building this with a Thanos controller: go ahead and wire in the remote step controller for the belt port. I LOVE having a microswitch up by my seat to make minor adjustments to the belt tension on the fly.
Can you post the link to do this, I am wanting to wire one into a center console. Also please post your settings?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea