Have Your Say: Your First Racing Game

Have Your Say - Tell Us Your First Racing Game.jpg

Everyone remembers their first love, and racing games are no different. With such a wealth of content on offer today, can you cast your mind back and remember the very first?

No doubt about it, "sim racing" has advanced practically beyond imagination since those tentative first days of Pole Position back in the early 1980's. With highly polished graphics, detailed physics, multi car grids, online racing and all the other bells and whistles of modern gaming, a sim racer today is spoilt for choice when it comes to the wonderful pastime of driving digital racing cars.

So for our question today I ask, which game (on what platform) was your very fist foray into the world of racing?

Have fun reminiscing and enjoy the weekend!

My first was Need for Speed 2 (the Special Edition) - the cars were fast, the physics were fun and the tracks were insane. Oh, and interactive music, which is something I always love. I also loved how in-depth they went with the car info: tons of stats, pictures, description of it's background story and a video dedicated to each and every car. Still have it to this day - with a patch, it works on Windows 10! :thumbsup:

The intro was awesome too :D

Well, technically it was Brands Hatch on a Binatone console, but it didn't feel like a racing game really.

First one that really impressed me was Saloon Cars on the Archimedes.

At the time it really felt like the 'new' Silverstone as it was then.

Then Geoff's Grand Prix came along and blew my socks off. Don't need a video of that one!

Grand Prix Legends- the original release and later the 2004 update -still have it on my other older pc.Could never beat Jim Clark until someone showed how to tweak the AI.
Some of todays games could learn a few things from GPLs' AI

I not sure which one I got first, it's Gran Turismo2 or Toca2, loved the two of them..my two nephews(ages6&16) laugh when they see them asking how I didn't go blind playing them..the 6yr old one says the cars look like they are made of lego lol.

• Deleted member 297789

My firts: Indianapolis 500

Attachments

• indy500-4.jpg
    indy500-4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 112
I'm gonna risk giving away my age now but, when I was a little kid, I remember playing Accolade's Grand Prix Circuit (GPEGA) on my old Intel 386 back in the nineties. It was a blast. :inlove:

Then my uncle, who was really more into games than my father at that time, brought me a hard drive with various games he'd found and, among them, there was Lotus 3: The Ultimate Challenge, Formula One Grand Prix (World Circuit) and Indyanapolis 500: The Simulation. I remember having to play F1GP with a flying stick because the keyboard was terrible to control the car. :roflmao:

Damn, the goosebumps are real. :x3:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back