Have Your Say: Your First Racing Game

Have Your Say - Tell Us Your First Racing Game.jpg

Everyone remembers their first love, and racing games are no different. With such a wealth of content on offer today, can you cast your mind back and remember the very first?

No doubt about it, "sim racing" has advanced practically beyond imagination since those tentative first days of Pole Position back in the early 1980's. With highly polished graphics, detailed physics, multi car grids, online racing and all the other bells and whistles of modern gaming, a sim racer today is spoilt for choice when it comes to the wonderful pastime of driving digital racing cars.

So for our question today I ask, which game (on what platform) was your very fist foray into the world of racing?

Have fun reminiscing and enjoy the weekend!

My first racing game was this beauty (for PC) called F1-99. Nicked it (or should I say permanently borrowed it) from my friends shelf. It had everything: proper safety car, penalties, pit stops, damage, insane grip and of course the one and only - legendary Murray Walker on commentary.

It had this sensational intro, still one of the best intro's ever made...

And here's a taste of the game...

My first racing game was this beauty (for PC) called F1-99. Nicked it (or should I say permanently borrowed it) from my friends shelf. It had everything: proper safety car, penalties, pit stops, damage, insane grip and of course the one and only - legendary Murray Walker on commentary.

Yeah I played it too on ps1 but i think still that i played first gran turismo 2

Last edited:

F1 99 was a bit too PlayStation graphics-wise. The previous games in the series (by Bizarre Creations) F1 97 and Formula 1 (didn't have a date but covered the 95 season) looked better in my opinion. F1 97 most people rate over the first game, but the textures on cars in the original Formula 1 game were much nicer on the PC version thanks the PlayStation original, and than textures in F1 97.

P.S. I own all PC F1 related games (apart from one or two recent ones, that I'll get soon - things like Danger Zone that's adding an F1 car, etc)

Grand Prix Circuit by Accolade. I had to dig deep to figure out which game I always played at a friends house but I am pretty sure it was this one. Cant remember exactly whether it was the PC version or if it was on commodore. My own sim career started much later and took off with GP3,GP4 from Geoff Crammond and then later on the EA F1 games etc.

Amazing car sounds :]

this is first :)

Lotus is also my first racing game. For some reason, that pitstop mechanic in the game was thrilling for me as a child. Had a blast playing the game split-screen with my uncles. Getting nostalgic thinking about it.... :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Also that main menu music... That was the deal back then. :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back