Have Your Say: Who do YOU want to win the Championship in Abu Dhabi?

Good job by Nico, today. I thought that what Lewis did in backing him up was fine and we all would have done the same. I am surprised he didn't do it more. However, Lewis should have been the first to shake Nico's hand and congratulate him after. Instead he completely blanked him. That is poor form. Lewis needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Absolute rubbish, you clearly have no idea how top level sport works! Nobody gets to the top and stays there without at the very least doing just as much as everyone else. Again another example people think Usain Bolt doesn't train hard because of his demeanour and protensity to be seen partying but he trains harder than most of the guys out there.

Natural talent only gets you so far and let's not forget Hamilton worked his way up from nothing and wasn't born into motorsport with limitless funds like Nico, honestly the bias and or lack of understanding of some of you guys is depressing.

Not saying, that Lewis had an easy start into motorsport, but lets not forget that he was basicly supported by McLaren since it's Karting time, 1998 to be precise. So with 15 years his way was basicly paved by one of the most successful teams in the history of Formula 1. So all in all, both got to where they are now not only by talent, not only by their name and financial backgrounds but many different factors. There are plenty of examples of people who had some good money but failed terribly and vice versa. Palmer is one good example, same as his father and I don't even know why they extended his contract.

Anyway, if I compare both drivers I always see the situation between Senna and Prost. Nico, the more strategic thinking, technical, smooth and precise driver compared to Lewis who has a bit more talent, sheer speed and maybe a tad more of the killer instinct as we've see in this race. Throughout the season aswell as in this race though, Nico showed some killer instinct aswell wich earned him the title. Completely deserved for all the hard work that he put into it. Let's also not forget that Lewis allways got into the right teams at the right time with highly competetive cars. When he entered McLaren, he got a winning car and when he entered Mercedes, Nico and Michael had allready developed a perfect car for him. And Baku this year was just one example that clearly showed that Lewis is technical not as prepared as Nico.

Btw, if you say that you don't watch F1 anymore how can you have such a strong opinion. I watch basicly every weekend right from the first practice session and it's pretty obvious who does what.

Good job by Nico, today. I thought that what Lewis did in backing him up was fine and we all would have done the same. I am surprised he didn't do it more. However, Lewis should have been the first to shake Nico's hand and congratulate him after. Instead he completely blanked him. That is poor form. Lewis needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.
Maybe it wasn't nice but others have done worse. One thing I know is that the better driver didn't win the 2016 F1 championship of both contenders. If redbull and Ferrari are much closer next year, we'll see how Nico fares.

Not saying, that Lewis had an easy start into motorsport, but lets not forget that he was basicly supported by McLaren since it's Karting time, 1998 to be precise. So with 15 years his way was basicly paved by one of the most successful teams in the history of Formula 1. So all in all, both got to where they are now not only by talent, not only by their name and financial backgrounds but many different factors. There are plenty of examples of people who had some good money but failed terribly and vice versa. Palmer is one good example, same as his father and I don't even know why they extended his contract.

Anyway, if I compare both drivers I always see the situation between Senna and Prost. Nico, the more strategic thinking, technical, smooth and precise driver compared to Lewis who has a bit more talent, sheer speed and maybe a tad more of the killer instinct as we've see in this race. Throughout the season aswell as in this race though, Nico showed some killer instinct aswell wich earned him the title. Completely deserved for all the hard work that he put into it. Let's also not forget that Lewis allways got into the right teams at the right time with highly competetive cars. When he entered McLaren, he got a winning car and when he entered Mercedes, Nico and Michael had allready developed a perfect car for him. And Baku this year was just one example that clearly showed that Lewis is technical not as prepared as Nico.

Btw, if you say that you don't watch F1 anymore how can you have such a strong opinion. I watch basicly every weekend right from the first practice session and it's pretty obvious who does what.
Well for anyone to get into F1 they need someone backing them given how elitist it is. I always wonder how different the athletes in sports would be if it wasn't all about funding though, would the top level still be the same or would there be another level above that?

When he joined Mercedes it was not even close to a perfect car they finished 9th and 10th, Vettel won the last 9 races and were it not for the rule changes Red Bull would still be dominating. I will concede though that it is very much about being in the right place at the right time but that goes both ways, Nico has been highly fortunate in who he's had as teammates to learn from, he wouldn't be anywhere near as good were it not for them.

I mostly watch highlights now that it's not always on freeview in the uk which is a shame because I don't watch enough tv to justify paying a monthly fee, I miss the good old days of advert free BBC coverage :(.

Last race was good in the end, I found Mercedes messages a bit odd though, first telling Hamilton to slow down and then telling him to drive faster because Nico was complaining, a bit disappointed with that.

Well for anyone to get into F1 they need someone backing them given how elitist it is. I always wonder how different the athletes in sports would be if it wasn't all about funding though, would the top level still be the same or would there be another level above that?

When he joined Mercedes it was not even close to a perfect car they finished 9th and 10th, Vettel won the last 9 races and were it not for the rule changes Red Bull would still be dominating. I will concede though that it is very much about being in the right place at the right time but that goes both ways, Nico has been highly fortunate in who he's had as teammates to learn from, he wouldn't be anywhere near as good were it not for them.

I mostly watch highlights now that it's not always on freeview in the uk which is a shame because I don't watch enough tv to justify paying a monthly fee, I miss the good old days of advert free BBC coverage :(.

Last race was good in the end, I found Mercedes messages a bit odd though, first telling Hamilton to slow down and then telling him to drive faster because Nico was complaining, a bit disappointed with that.

Well, it was quite obvious that Hamilton backed off througout sector 3 so that the cars behind Nico could catch up on him, but picking up the pace throughout sector 1 so that Nico couldn't pass him. With the pace that Vettel was running this was not only a threat to Nico but for Lewis aswell. So how much I can understand Lewis using this as his last meassurment I can understand the teams prespective. What would you as a team owner say, if your driver was giving away the victory to another team in his own interest?

@Tobiman: why didn't the best driver of the two win the championchip? Let's not forget that both drivers had ups and downs throughout the seaon and that both had technical difficulties not only this season but over the last three years. At the beginning of this season Nico basicly smashed everyone else, even Lewis.

Well, it was quite obvious that Hamilton backed off througout sector 3 so that the cars behind Nico could catch up on him, but picking up the pace throughout sector 1 so that Nico couldn't pass him. With the pace that Vettel was running this was not only a threat to Nico but for Lewis aswell. So how much I can understand Lewis using this as his last meassurment I can understand the teams prespective. What would you as a team owner say, if your driver was giving away the victory to another team in his own interest?

@Tobiman: why didn't the best driver of the two win the championchip? Let's not forget that both drivers had ups and downs throughout the seaon and that both had technical difficulties not only this season but over the last three years. At the beginning of this season Nico basicly smashed everyone else, even Lewis.
There was no way Vettel would ever have passed Hamilton, he was only going 1s faster in clear air and when he wanted to could comfortably pull enough distance not to be caught with DRS which Nico couldn't. If Verstappen hadn't left the door open on the turn or spun out earlier in the race, Hamilton would have had a real chance of taking the championship.

When he joined Mercedes it was not even close to a perfect car they finished 9th and 10th.

In 2013 Hamilton finished 4th and Rosberg 6th in the driver's standings.

And teammate wise for Rosberg, the only top drivers hes had as a driver himself in F1 would be Schumacher and Hamilton and I don't think Hamilton would be giving him pointers. :)

ea53c53d9abc795cd92dae44b1a17cf2.png

Hamilton's tyres at the end of the race :D :D

In 2013 Hamilton finished 4th and Rosberg 6th in the driver's standings.

And teammate wise for Rosberg, the only top drivers hes had as a driver himself in F1 would be Schumacher and Hamilton and I don't think Hamilton would be giving him pointers. :)
Hmm I don't know what I looked at then!

He wouldn't have helped him directly no but seeing how the top level guys operate and being able to look at their data is one of the biggest things in any sport which takes people to the next level.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.