PC2 Have Your Say: Project CARS 2 Three Months On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Have  Your Say.jpg

Project CARS 2 released across PC and console platforms back on the 22nd September to mixed reviews, now three months and a couple of patches we want you to 'Have Your Say'...

The latest racing title from Slightly Mad Studios continues to divide opinion throughout the sim racing community, often mixing the sublime with the ridiculous in equal measure as it constantly strives to achieve the lofty ideals set forth by an aggressive pre release marketing campaign.

Shipping in a sub optimal state and having since been in receipt of a sizable updates, the question for today is:

How do you feel Project CARS 2 has progressed since release day, and what are your impressions of the game now?

Have fun, stay respectful and enjoy the weekend!

My opinion is that SMS and pCars is the read headed step child that for some reason a very vocal group love to bash.

I find it interesting that the critical eye cast on the game isn't cast on the other games in the genre. Every one has their own strong and weak points, but if you scan the forums here you'll be hard pressed to see the same treatment even any one of them have some pretty glaring issues.

Personally in have pcars, RRE, AC, RF2 And Dirt Rally on my PC. Each had their own aspects I like and thinks that anoy me.

I'm mainly as SP racer as my schedule isn't conducive to racing online. I can't comment on mp features or issues.

Haven't touched RF2 that much, especially since I got vr. I have to go back and give it a go, but as it lacks any real SP structure I haven't used it much

No complaints about Dirt Rally outside of it constantly forgetting my control settings and losing connection with the driver network caught crashes.

Overall I enjoy AC, I find it very sterile and SP is uninspiring. I enjoy the hill climbs the best. Also I find mod content hit and miss. It sorely needs Steam Workshop support so mods stay up to date.

RRE is fun for the most part. Probably the best SP play with the AI. Sounds is amazing. VR performance isn't that great since it needs a wrapper from DX9. I find it frustrating as they concentrate on content and selling new stuff vs fixing issues. How do we still not have tire pressure or career presets for all their real work series licences?

PCars is the closest to bring a complete overall package. It includes things that are very important to a overall simunition of racing outside of the core physics. The issue with pcars is the downsideof this larger scope there are a lot of bugs and issues related to the added complexity. The AI is a little wonky, and uneven between tracks, but as with any game you have to learn to play them.

I don't really touch on physics because overall it's just an e-peen contest for people who care about looking smart on the interwebs to argue about. None of the games smack me in the face as doing something outside of reality. Same for FFB. Most of the feel from driving in RL comes from you feeling motion outside of the steering column and arguments about who had the best fake forces through the steering column is pointless IMHO. I care more about road feel and every sim can do that. VR has made a much larger impact for me in feeling the cars vs wheel FFB.

In the end I think pcars is the closest overall to bring a complete sim to the table, from the SP side at least.

My opinion is that SMS and pCars is the read headed step child that for some reason a very vocal group love to bash.

I find it interesting that the critical eye cast on the game isn't cast on the other games in the genre. Every one has their own strong and weak points, but if you scan the forums here you'll be hard pressed to see the same treatment even any one of them have some pretty glaring issues.

Personally in have pcars, RRE, AC, RF2 And Dirt Rally on my PC. Each had their own aspects I like and thinks that anoy me.

I'm mainly as SP racer as my schedule isn't conducive to racing online. I can't comment on mp features or issues.

Haven't touched RF2 that much, especially since I got vr. I have to go back and give it a go, but as it lacks any real SP structure I haven't used it much

No complaints about Dirt Rally outside of it constantly forgetting my control settings and losing connection with the driver network caught crashes.

Overall I enjoy AC, I find it very sterile and SP is uninspiring. I enjoy the hill climbs the best. Also I find mod content hit and miss. It sorely needs Steam Workshop support so mods stay up to date.

RRE is fun for the most part. Probably the best SP play with the AI. Sounds is amazing. VR performance isn't that great since it needs a wrapper from DX9. I find it frustrating as they concentrate on content and selling new stuff vs fixing issues. How do we still not have tire pressure or career presets for all their real work series licences?

PCars is the closest to bring a complete overall package. It includes things that are very important to a overall simunition of racing outside of the core physics. The issue with pcars is the downsideof this larger scope there are a lot of bugs and issues related to the added complexity. The AI is a little wonky, and uneven between tracks, but as with any game you have to learn to play them.

I don't really touch on physics because overall it's just an e-peen contest for people who care about looking smart on the interwebs to argue about. None of the games smack me in the face as doing something outside of reality. Same for FFB. Most of the feel from driving in RL comes from you feeling motion outside of the steering column and arguments about who had the best fake forces through the steering column is pointless IMHO. I care more about road feel and every sim can do that. VR has made a much larger impact for me in feeling the cars vs wheel FFB.

In the end I think pcars is the closest overall to bring a complete sim to the table, from the SP side at least.

And as people have tried to point out its because some of the behavior from WMD guys and even devs and then simply fanboys is worse with PCars / AC and then Forza and GT is even worse than that.
You do get people slagging off RF2 and Raceroom but you don't see the devs wading into to every thread acting like children.
I have seen people moaning on raceroom forum and no mods or devs stepped in banning them.
Its the way you treat your customers at the end of the day.

And as people have tried to point out its because some of the behavior from WMD guys and even devs and then simply fanboys is worse with PCars / AC and then Forza and GT is even worse than that.
You do get people slagging off RF2 and Raceroom but you don't see the devs wading into to every thread acting like children.
I have seen people moaning on raceroom forum and no mods or devs stepped in banning them.
Honestly, just my opinion, if I were Ian Bell, I wouldn't comment at all on this or any other forum, even their own. I would simply have a very cordial approach, stating periodically what they are working on. Updates, bug fixes, and DLC's. I simply wouldn't get into discussions getting dragged into useless arguments. Like this one :)
They should just keep folks updated: "Hey, we hear you. We're working hard on making the game better and fixing issues etc." That's it. What's the point to this discussion really? Where will it get anyone?

Last edited:
Honestly, just my opinion, if I were Ian Bell, I wouldn't comment at all on this or any other forum, even their own. I would simply have a very cordial approach, stating periodically what they are working on. Updates, bug fixes, and DLC's. I simply wouldn't get into discussions getting dragged into useless arguments. Like this one :)
They should just keep folks updated: "Hey, we here you. We're working hard on making the game better and fixing issues etc." That's it. What's the point to this discussion really? Where will it get anyone?

I agree, not sure why he gets so involved, even Stephano learnt or was told to step back and chill out and spend the cash.

The other thing to note about PCars franchise is that it sells more than RF2 and Raceroom and is a triple A title so its bound to generate more discussion good and bad.
Also the type of people buying PCars 1 and 2 the highest customer base is console players. All RF2 and RRE players are PC based.
The console players are expecting a polished game of triple A standards and some simply buy games just because it shows off their Xbox X or PS4 pro.
Its not people ganging up on SMS, its simply a case of numbers and the vast numbers of console players that buy PCars...

I wasted £40 on pcars1, I'm not going to waste another £40 on pcars2.
The reason I can rely on these reviews is because they describe it in a similar way as I would describe pcars1, so it sounds like not much as improved in the FFB and physics department.
What's important to me (FFB & Physics) may not be important to you, therefore you can enjoy it and I can't. I'm not going to drop a single penny on a game that I know I won't enjoy or play.

FFB improved, physics are the same, meaning meh, not that great, but the AI is worst than any other game, even PCars1, so if you're a single player stay away and save your money.

Do you get paid a bonus if you convince someone to buy it?
Don't waste your time buddy :thumbsup:
Another tinfoil hat? Yes Ian Bell promised me a ride with his 458 if I manage to sell 100 copies.

So, plug n play by pcars1 standards?
This must be a design feature so you'll miss the 2 hour refund limit on Steam.
These are my settings for the GT3 V2, seems to work good on other low end wheels too and I never tinker with it when I change cars:

ejqWZDv.jpg

I doubt Michael is the one to listen to for unbiased opinions :whistling:.

If you think they are heavy handed you should see the devs and mods in the Arma forums. Ask a question that had been asked 6 months ago in a 100 page thread? Be prepared to have your thread closed and a ban for questioning the logic of that.

From my observations much of the tone on the SMS forum was set long ago from a very vocal group of detractors that soured the forums causing some very heavy hands coming down. I do think SMS is too strict and do stifle dialogue because of it. I'm also think there are a lot of prople who somehow feel 'telling it like it is' means being an asshole about it.

For some reason people think being polite is single being a boot licker.

I can see SMS's side as well. I used to be very active in the Lock On community (game that turned into DCS). I was a beta tester and mod on the Ubi forum. I saw the **** that Carl Norman and Matt Wagner delt with. Every time they talked about ideas of what they wanted to do in development turned into a promise and fallout when it wasn't possible because of complexity/time/money. They were doing new things in the sim landscape and delt with the same bullshit of sim vs arcade that rivet counters love to go into. I saw the same toxicity and the same quick bans. I see the developer side. Don't expect to be catered to if you can't be polite.

In the end its kinda sad as they pulled back from close interaction with the community. DCS had way less presence in their forum these days. Same as IL2 and other places where developers interact with the sim crowd.

I think the real point is the volume of sales that PCars franchise has and the fact they cross platform the game. If you decide to take the console cash you better grow a thick skin because they will go hard on you.

If they sold say 15% to PC players and 85% to console players and say 60% use a controller and some WMD bloke goes round telling people "should of got a PC" or "should of got a wheel"...that won't always end well......it does not take a genius to work that out surely?

Regardless if they are correct about the wheel thing, more players will be on a pad....so really do you want to alienate 60% of your customer base?? Suicide..

I doubt Michael is the one to listen to for unbiased opinions :whistling:.
Michael and I have a very long history, not positive to say the least, but we're both sim racers and ironically have similar tastes when it comes to racing games and probably agree with each other more than we'd care to admit.
I've read this thread from the start, and many more similar threads which won't be found on pcar's official forum due to censorship, so I can assure you, Michael alone has not convinced me of anything. There are plenty of other people on this thread and others whom I've known for a long time whose opinion's I trust.

Michael and I have a very long history, not positive to say the least, but we're both sim racers and ironically have similar tastes when it comes to racing games and probably agree with each other more than we'd care to admit.
I've read this thread from the start, and many more similar threads which won't be found on pcar's official forum due to censorship, so I can assure you, Michael alone has not convinced me of anything. There are plenty of other people on this thread and others whom I've known for a long time whose opinion's I trust.
Why do I even bother. Just try to refrain from making statements like you did before if you're not even familiar with the game at all and are just acting on hearsay ;).

Another poster
" something something fanboy word mentioned"
Mod. As a past WMD member, you should not resort to personal attacks"

ME. Seriously! unless you've been wrapped in cotton wool all your life, there is nothing in that post about personal attack"

MOD." Don't tell moderators how to do their tasks"

ME. "Stop treating us like Children then"

I'm now banned for a week!
I love the game flaws and all but the mods over there are out of control, so ban me all you like, but I'm a loyal customer and have sung the praises of their game but your Mods Mr Bell, have a word with them FFS!!!!

Another poster
" something something fanboy word mentioned"
Mod. As a past WMD member, you should not resort to personal attacks"

ME. Seriously! unless you've been wrapped in cotton wool all your life, there is nothing in that post about personal attack"

MOD." Don't tell moderators how to do their tasks"

ME. "Stop treating us like Children then"

I'm now banned for a week!
I love the game flaws and all but the mods over there are out of control, so ban me all you like, but I'm a loyal customer and have sung the praises of their game but your Mods Mr Bell, have a word with them FFS!!!!
Note to self: (And perhaps others if they're interested)
Come to forums solely to find information. I'e. when is the next patch being released. When and what is the next DLC. Race department Forum especially: Only visit to download new free car skins.

The tail end of this thread has turned into a more sensible discussion. Personally, i've enjoyed Pcars 2 and regularly switch between it and AC and have fun.
Pcars2 got its issues and so do other sims if I can work around it I do. Maybe it comes with age.
I do understand some of the resentment from user too, SMS forum have a less free speech dictatorship feel people are somewhat afraid to even like a comment they agree with or voice their own opinions if it's not a popular opinion, But then a lot of people do not know how too behave on forums and turn anything into an unnecessary argument because they can hide behind a computer and a lot of people follow. ....A lot of chat from people who don't own the game or even played it. ??

communication is always great from the Devs but if your a direct blunt no-nonsense person maybe leave it to someone else.
Guys need to leave argument of which sim is better and you might see some of the finer detail.
90% of sim racers will never race in the cars they race in a sim so it doesn't make much difference whether a bit of track or car is not 100% the same as real life. I've been using VR only for 3 years now had some amazing races on iracing, AC and Pcars 2.
If you don't enjoy it fair enough find something else, acting like a young girl complaining all the time is not the way.
Pcars 2 is a lot better than the first, and has loads of room for improvement and hope it comes sooner than later.

The tail end of this thread has turned into a more sensible discussion. Personally, i've enjoyed Pcars 2 and regularly switch between it and AC and have fun.
Pcars2 got its issues and so do other sims if I can work around it I do. Maybe it comes with age.
I do understand some of the resentment from user too, SMS forum have a less free speech dictatorship feel people are somewhat afraid to even like a comment they agree with or voice their own opinions if it's not a popular opinion, But then a lot of people do not know how too behave on forums and turn anything into an unnecessary argument because they can hide behind a computer and a lot of people follow. ....A lot of chat from people who don't own the game or even played it. ??

communication is always great from the Devs but if your a direct blunt no-nonsense person maybe leave it to someone else.
Guys need to leave argument of which sim is better and you might see some of the finer detail.
90% of sim racers will never race in the cars they race in a sim so it doesn't make much difference whether a bit of track or car is not 100% the same as real life. I've been using VR only for 3 years now had some amazing races on iracing, AC and Pcars 2.
If you don't enjoy it fair enough find something else, acting like a young girl complaining all the time is not the way.
Pcars 2 is a lot better than the first, and has loads of room for improvement and hope it comes sooner than later.

The problem with the phrase "work around" I get it and i do it, man I play RFactor 2 the hole thing is a work around!
But again i come back to console players...they either in some case can't or don't think they should have to "work around", that's not me slagging off console players as was and still own one...its the fact that PCars is multi platform and consoles make up the higher player counts...piss them off and tell them to "work around" stuff will likely end in tears.
RFactor can get away with a lot more because its just PC people with access to it.
Look at AC and kunos and how they handled console players.

If had just invested in the new xbox and the triple A title Pcars 2 and was told i needed to "work around " something i'd be pretty vocal about it.

So much rubbish in this thread, some should better see a doctor. This community is cancerous and pCars 2 is obviously the best sim we have today. With my setup this is so obvious, unbelievable. And i can still kick most of your asses in any other sim because pCars 2 taught me how to drive better. Raceroom is far too easy for my taste today and boring as watching TV, the Formula Extreme is far more easy in AMS than the Formula Renault in PC2. AC is the worst in tyre-physics, but just won a podium on a full SRS-race. pCars 2 is just by far the best sim ever to date and only some cars in rF2 are close to it. But the McLaren GT3 is certainly more difficult than in rF2. Ridiculous how stable it is in rF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back