Have Your Say: Hamilton London No Show, Backlash Deserved or Unfair?

If it really any of our business what someone does on their day off?
Here's an ideal for a PR stunt; take some children from Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds etc, to Sliverstone for free.
Show them what motorsport is, show them what it is not.
Take the children around the team HQs based around Sliverstone.
Instead of Hill and Brundle indirectly flogging Sky packages, ask Hill and Brundle to flog the future of British motorsport.
Show the children what is behind motorsport; not everyone can be a driver, but you can go on to work in motorsports.
Lewis came from a normal background, as in his parents were not millionaires.
Perhaps he would be more interested in something like the above.
Perhaps not.
However, you cannot really blame him for not wishing to stand in a part of London, where no one actually lives, flogging a product on his day off.
Can you?
If he was contracted to be there, he would of been there.
Simple.
Yet again, a wonderful example of doing something in completely the wrong place..
Why not one of the parks?
More people would of turned up.
Look at the aerial photos of the event; not really that many people..
Remember it was free...

To me this just shows again his true nature. He is not a great sportsman (requesting the team to use his teammate to slow down the competion when said teammate is fighting for a podium position), he puts himself first even when he should not (incident I have just mentioned, or the recent no show at the fan event), he is arrogant ("I do not make mistakes" in a TV interview some years ago), disrespectful (as Christian Horner pointed out about drivers who sit in the press conference and have nothing better to do than playing with their phone all the time), and he is a whiny lil bit** when something does not go his way. To be honest when he joined F1 I liked him, I thought thats a cool guy and fast, he's gonna show the established drivers what rookies can do. But over the years there has been incident after incident that made me go from yay to nay when it comes to him. Good job, Lewis... I know you dont care about me, neither do I about you.

This is pretty sad. Don't know why he would drop out like that, knowing how much British fans wanted to see him. His excuse is weak--very weak--considering he's been known to fly overseas between and prior to important races before just to attend a party. Once I think he did it to attend a fashion show...LOL. He can do that when he wants to, but can't spare a day, alongside every other driver, to show some appreciation for the fans???

I'm actually tired of Hamilton and Vettel. They both think they're better than they are. Fact is, there are quite a few other drivers on the grid that would be just as successful, if not more, if they could get behind the wheel of a Mercedes or Ferrari. I mean seriously... imagine Verstappen in a Merc. :)

All i can say is the position i have seen him at has fallen over the last year, his lack of regard for anything is just annoying and frustrating for a fan to watch someone with such a good opportunity just sit back and not be bothered, i think it made a lot of his fans realise that its just hard to like him with how he is at the moment, that said i do hope he wins the grand prix :).

hamilton ,spoilt as a kid,got bought everything he wanted ,he is arrogant rude ,sometimes dangerous ,and seems to be convinced hes better than senna & the greats or any of todays drivers , hes the least approachable ,has a fashion sense of a Boyband ,the truth is he drives the car with the higher top speed ,put him in alonso's car and you would see , Im more of a Verstappen Fan or Kimi...,born/living in UK

Last edited:
I hope he choosed training over the show, so he could win his home race.

Problem with that line of thought is: Vettel would be justified in saying "If Hamilton is training or preparing, so am I because I don't give him an advantage". And then Ricciardo.... and in the end no driver ever shows up for a publicy event because they can't afford to miss preparation time.

19 other drivers figured they can afford to spend a day polishing the public interest in F1. Is he that low on energy or health that he can't?

He had something more interesting to do.
understand him, he's a rockstar, not only a driver.
Vettel was there btw, and....all the paddock.
But not Sir Hamilton, no...., too busy to drive :O_o:
a great Event in London downtown, dedicated to the fans, close to us
it's annoying ,it's for the plebs.
why would he be there ?

rULt7kP.jpg

Problem with that line of thought is: Vettel would be justified in saying "If Hamilton is training or preparing, so am I because I don't give him an advantage". And then Ricciardo.... and in the end no driver ever shows up for a publicy event because they can't afford to miss preparation time.
This would be my dream world, actually. Maybe because of my slight autism :p But I don't understand why it's drivers responsibility to polish public interest in F1. There are other people who get paid exactly for that, regardless of drivers public appearance or not. Don't understand me wrong tho, it's great to have connection with fans (I guess?), but should it really be turned into reality show to keep it going?

Last edited:
Hamilton, in my view, is not the best representative for the sport of F1 (putting it mildly and politically correct).

Still, driving F1 cars is his JOB. If we were asked to do something voluntary (at our JOB) and we were not at our best or our schedule couldn't accommodate that voluntary commitment, we wouldn't do it. Why shouldn't he have that option?

I just want to see the racing and the technical aspects of F1. I don't need to fanboy over the drivers. If there was no racing, I would find something else to keep me entertained.

Another example of the general public's feeling of "entitlement" to the lives of people they watch on television.
It's pervasive in today's society - "Entitlement" to this or that.

The critical point that many are missing is that this was an event in Britain, if it had been France, Germany, China or anywhere else it wouldn't have mattered. Lewis is British has a LOT of British fans and it was a chance for many to meet him (if he could be bothered to meet his fans).

The entirety of F1 is the antithesis of this.

That forums are talking about a driver not showing up to a PR event that is completely pointless against the importance of what should be the focus of F1, the racing, boggles the mind.

Even looking at how the F1 event is now listed on my Freesat box makes me laugh.

1hr slot for pre-race talky bollocks.
1.5hr slot for the race.
1hr (or was it 1.5hr) for post-race talky bollocks.

No longer is it just a 3hr slot that could be considered all interesting and worth watching, but the listings even distill down the event into the actual race and then all the droning bollocks fluff that is increasingly irrelevant and hosted by people who didn't care about F1 until a big fat salary was waved under their noses.
If they talked for hours about something technical then great, analysis like scarbs F1 aero, or even Jordan who ran a team, but it's not. It's just dumbasses interviewing people with simpleton questions and vague answers.
You may as well just ask one of those balls you shake to give you answers. Maybe. Yes. No. Ask me next week.

So to sum up. I don't care. I didn't even know that it was a thing to then have to care about.

I suppose the only people who should be upset are the people paying £££ for the event and feel like they're getting short changed.
But really that's F1's problem if they hold these events to make the huge prices seem half reasonable, but then don't make them mandatory for the drivers to attend.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back