Have Your Say: Hamilton London No Show, Backlash Deserved or Unfair?

Nope. Back in the day people were saying "never meet your idols" and that's what I ended up sticking with too. The people I'm fan of - in the first place I became fan of them because of what they've done and how it inspired me. I am more interested in learning a bit of their working ethic, their path to mastery than the gossip around them. I hope he choosed training over the show, so he could win his home race.

Not a mistake from my point of view. More and more people are coming to me saying 'you were right about him' after I called him out as a massive douchebag 10 years ago!

I think he should have been there. Pretty poor form in my view.
Why is it man ,
for example when Ham was with mclaren it was clear in is contract , to attend all press events and all events in general , he had to do it , and did it for a lot of years , hes been racing for 10 years now in F1 ,
you actually expect the guy to attend every single event for another 10 years yeah ?
come on guys give the guy a break , he races on track for points .

Regardless of whether you landed on the good or bad on him side, F1 is a changing folks and trying to fall in line with all the other fan friendly sports. While we, as a whole, might have accepted and even expected drivers being aloof or "in the zone" before a race, the paying fans of the sport want personality (good or bad) with the sport of their choice. Liberty is endeavoring to bring F1 to the present and the drivers can expect to be asked to be more visible to the fans. If they choose not to they can rightfully expect some boos.

Agree...seriously...who cares?
In the golden age of F1, Drivers were crazy, some cold as ice, others spiritual or just professional but not so...how I can say?
...now we have some kind of boy band member, always with the last haircut, with his brand or set of accessories acting like a tv celebrity...and this is boring, because even if you have all the best skills needed to be a champion you looks "empty"...
Yep
I mean that guy now as a app with emojis "Hamoji"

The point being was he invited or was it part of his contract..we just don't know do we, yes we can speculate this forever, but we just don't know.

Now if he was invited then surely it is his choice, yes if I was a fan that turned up to the event mainly to see him I would be surely disappointed, but that does not mean he has to turn up does it...he may have been ill? he may have had other commitments, or maybe just did not want to go, surely its his choice. Fame and fortune does not mean you have to do everything that is expected of you, he is human after all.

Now if it was part of his contract or he was paid to turn up, then yes he is truly in the wrong.

The point being was he invited or was it part of his contract..we just don't know do we, yes we can speculate this forever, but we just don't know.

Now if he was invited then surely it is his choice, yes if I was a fan that turned up to the event mainly to see him I would be surely disappointed, but that does not mean he has to turn up does it...he may have been ill? he may have had other commitments, or maybe just did not want to go, surely its his choice. Fame and fortune does not mean you have to do everything that is expected of you, he is human after all.

Now if it was part of his contract or he was paid to turn up, then yes he is truly in the wrong.
This mercedes contract is pretty slack compared to his mclaren contract ,
in which was a rageme , in which with mclaren as well he never got paid for all the stuff he did , was a pretty poor deal to be honest ,
I Honestly dont see what the fuss is about , but saying that , If I attended the event and he wasnt there I would be a little gutted too , as would have been my only reason to go ,
but again wouldnt have had any bad feeling towards the guy , hes a racing driver not a puppet .

It definitely was a missed opportunity for him, but of course after some time has passed after Vettel-Hamilton contact in Baku modern F1 needs to find another melodrama to create some interest.

Mean while, he visited sick children in hospital last week and has now brought in Billy Monger to be a VIP guest of the Mercedes team for the weekend. People will always find something to hate.

That's the problem with the media, if what you said is right, i had never heard it because the media are always covering the negatives of everything, not many positives.

Should Hamilton have gone? Yes, probably. Was it a mistake? No. He's paid to do his business on the track and if he wins tomorrow this will all be forgotten. I doubt he is contractually obliged to do these nonsense PR events. If he wanted to spend precious time with family and friends in the UK then that's up to him.

I don't understand the perception that its stupid PR event? It's an event to gather more interest into F1. They went to London with a Renault RS01, an MP4/6 a host of V8 F1 cars and three current V6 turbos... Not to mention interviews with drivers. The drivers got to sign some autographs for fans. Fans who may not be able to go to an F1 race because of the price nowadays... Yes the music part is a bit pointless but... for FREE people got to see 19 current driver's and 2 recent former drivers. F1 car demonstration runs, and people like Hill, Brundle, Mika, DC and Arnoux... Don't understand the animosity towards the event.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years