Have Your Say: Formula One 'Halo' - Good, Bad or Just Ugly?

It's all about "safety" right ? While the halo may or may not help prevent injuries, there is still A LOT of work to be done. My point (as I wrote in my previous post) is that racing can be dangerous.
Halo would not have helped Lauda either.
Lets have them all move to sim racing, problem solved.
Racing ARE dangerous, always.
Is this safety condition better than today? Absolutely Not.
I don't know how many drivers of today would run on the cars of the 70s and 80s...
f1-detroit-gp-1988-ayrton-senna-mclaren-mp4-4.jpg

The f1 visor was really bad. They just put a window on a car that was not designed for a window. It was ridiculous. I'm actually into the indycar design. It looks pretty cool with and without aeroscreen. I think the drivers are not going to like it and it's going to vanish within the first 5 races. It's not the best solution. Everyone knows that. F1 cars will be a cockpit in the future. Why not make a semi cockpit instantly. It seems really weird to me. It's like having a shortcut but taking the longest route. I'm not a fan

And Billy Monger ? Would the halo have saved him ?
All this policor stuff is rubbish. Racing is dangerous and carries risks. All racers know that and take it into account.
What about Moto GP ? Think that is safe ?

Yeah I fully agree, it's overprotective. But it's not pointless as someone else said earlier.

To all the "safety first" guys. Why is that the halo is only for F1, F2 and Fe (later this year), and not F3, GP3 and F4 for example ?
Does it mean that life of drivers in junior categories is less important ?

Oh and if the drivers are too scared of driving an open wheel car, they have the option of not driving one. I'm scared of planes, so I'm not climbing in one.

And for all the talk about Jules Bianchi, safety first would have been to get the damn Safety Car before sending a crane where a car could crash.

It's box ticking, fact is F1 is mega safe these days anyway, Jules death was a freak thing due to the tractor being the thing he hit.
This ticks another box for F1.
Anyway modern day Motorsport with any relevance (ie manufacturer support) will all be electric soon. Halo is the least of its worries..

To all the "safety first" guys. Why is that the halo is only for F1, F2 and Fe (later this year), and not F3, GP3 and F4 for example ?
Does it mean that life of drivers in junior categories is less important ?

Oh and if the drivers are too scared of driving an open wheel car, they have the option of not driving one. I'm scared of planes, so I'm not climbing in one.

And for all the talk about Jules Bianchi, safety first would have been to get the damn Safety Car before sending a crane where a car could crash.

I think we will see it on junior series too, usually F1 have been used as test lab, if it works I bet it will be used for the others too...

Last edited:
Time of Heroes is finished, ...
And the oldies are still raced with. And they are still as safe as back in the days.
And these two quotes sum up why F1 is boring and will never be interesting again.
Just enjoy a few seconds of this and you´ll be convinced:
It gives so much more excitement, because it it absolutely dangerous. I only just realized that. Wow.

Anyway modern F1 is what it is. Our hype and adrenaline is pushed by fancy car-presentations and more and more media clips (and threads) around the actual race. :sleep:

• Deleted member 113561

Looks ugly and I rather have the canopy!
Additionally I really hope we don't get more such "safety" features, what comes next? No more open cockpit?

It's good in my opinion. Honestly, **** the haters!
Who cares if it looks bad if it saves lives. Tell Justin Wilson's family how much you hate the halo and see how they will react. It doesn't look that bad IMO but I expected more from the 2 cars we got so far.

What is wrong in this solution?

There is no way to make anything that is transparent and nearly as strong as a carbon fiber composite cage. And I'm saying a factor of 10 if not much more. While I have my doubts that the CF halo would have saved Bianchi, those are doubts. There isn't a way that the windshield would have made a difference, except add sharp debris in motion.

Plus, I don't think windshields mix with a lack of wipers.

Plus, the windshield seriously impedes access to the driver in an overturned car. More than the halo. Not that either are good.

And these two quotes sum up why F1 is boring and will never be interesting again.
Just enjoy a few seconds of this and you´ll be convinced:
It gives so much more excitement, because it it absolutely dangerous. I only just realized that. Wow.

Anyway modern F1 is what it is. Our hype and adrenaline is pushed by fancy car-presentations and more and more media clips (and threads) around the actual race. :sleep:
Too safe. Why not return to these cars or circuits? These were true heroes.
Jim-Clark-5.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back