Have Your Say: Formula One 'Halo' - Good, Bad or Just Ugly?

MGP.jpg

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you. Coming soon to a track near you...:laugh:

Hmm, yes, proposed "MotoGP cage" (TM) does looks good but... is it really safe enough ?!? :O_o:

:laugh::D

The halo is not from carbonfiber at all. It's 15 kilo titanium tubes. Teams can make a shell around it for better aerodynamic properties. So the halo system should be better integrated in the design making it strong enough to withstand those "extremely rare" forces. Bianchi would not have been saved with the halo, because of extreme G-forces from the impact his brain had severe injuries. His head never touched that truck he smashed in to. But the soft tissue of his brain got ripped apart. (may he rest in peace).

Thank you for the information.

Bianchi needed energy absorption at an acceptable rate. Do you happen to know which part of the car, specifically, caused the high-g stop? Was it just the nose or was anything else involved?

Is there some published pdf with an investigation on Bianchi?

Thanks again.

Still ugly, but slowly growing on for me strangely

If drivers say it doesn't affect visibility, they don't mind it and they want protection, it's their decision since their lives are at stake.

But how are some of them going to look into the start lights I wonder?

Difficult to get into the car they say...... How is it to get out of... if you're in a hurry

I can imagine a whole bunch of almost-flipped car positions where extraction would be possible in a 2017 car but not possible in the 2018 car.

Same as far as doctor's access is concerned. How to reach into the cell deeply enough to stop some bleeding before extraction, or check for stuck body parts that you don't want to come off when pulling the driver out?

I would be curious to read what the doctors have to say about the halo. Presumably that would have to be ex-doctors as the currently employed ones aren't likely to bash this thing...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back