Have Your Say: Formula One 'Halo' - Good, Bad or Just Ugly?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Halo - Good bad or ugly.jpg

We've seen the Haas and we've seen the Williams, so it feels about time to 'Have Your Say' and tell us what you think of the F1 Halo - 2018 style.

Dividing opinion of fans and drivers alike, there is no getting away from the fact that the controversial 'Halo' is here to stay for Formula One 2018, but is the new safety feature quite as visually dramatic as everyone first feared?

The question for today then is:

Now we've seen it in the flesh, what are you thoughts on the new Formula One Halo? Good, bad or just plain ugly?

Let us know you thoughts in the comments section below!

I don't care about the looks and who knows about safety.

When high-profile drivers say it interferes with their vision it is bad.

Just as we poke around how different people have different eyes and use them differently, how can an "official" who never drove a race car say that it doesn't interfere? Stereo vision is a funny thing. Not even two actual F1 drivers will have their brain process visual input the same way.

Please can somebody link to proof that it could have helped in the last f1 head-injuries ?
Because these accidents should really be setting the standard for a new safety device.
Until then they should just keep it, as it improves safety anyway.

As a driver i would prefer something like shield. When i think about protection i have the Massa crash in mind, i dont think that halo can hold of a small piece like a spring.

Doesn't go far enough to significantly reduce the odds of major head injury in its current design form.
Finish it by closing out those massive openings with some type of deflector screen or get it off the car and do something else to better protect drivers.
The Indy car screen offers much better head protection because of its profile relative to the driver's helmet and in its ability to deflect not just large, but small objects.... and quite frankly, looks much, much better.

Last edited:
People just don't like change....most sim updates we get people complain...don't like the feedback, too much grip, too little grip...after a year change it back to how it was you'll get complaints.

Personally, don't like it but quickly accepted it and have moved on just like with the grid girls... couple of years time most will get used to it.....if you don't then go watch replays of F1 from 1990

Last edited:

apex11

@Simberia
Please can somebody link to proof that it could have helped in the last f1 head-injuries ?
Because these accidents should really be setting the standard for a new safety device.
Until then they should just keep it, as it improves safety anyway.

Senna still would of died, Roland still would of died, Lauda may have been stuck in car for longer and died....
Massa still would of got his face smashed.
Jules the force most likely still would of killed him as the structure seems to be weaker than that impact force apparently.

The biggest thing keeping driver safe is simply the actual cell built up around them. That would of saved Senna most likely and Roland.... what killed Senna was the steering arm piecing his helmet, so only a screen could stop that....

I am all for safety, but can't see how the halo is safe enough given the massive gaps in it!

Omer Said

Weresloth
Premium
I was sad, but thought Halo as a required safety measure. Then I saw the shield of Indycar and I got furious with Halo. Uglier and less practical.

Gopher04

Premium
Taken from one of the best Spaghetti Westerns going Paul, I'd say ugly..Also I'm not sure painting white is a good idea, it's known to reflect light..

Last edited:

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
It is still ugly.
I am not informed well enough to contest it’s performance but naturally certain doubts come immediately to mind - think driver extraction of a turned over car (remember that aweful crash at Melbourne - was it in 2016 ?) or protection from debris or the more restricted field of view of the drivers?

F1 still has not managed to raise any interest whatsoever since I stopped following the races completely early 2017. The only “news” that came through seems to be driver controversy this, driver apologizing for PC controversy that, new car introduction in digital form, banning of female grid personell on gender equality grounds, ...

This motorsport has become a farce.

The one single only reason for me - ok, maybe 1 1/2 reasons - is that Brendon Hartley has a seat, and the 1/2 reason is that Fernando Alonso snagged a drive in the WEC.

Other then that I will probably follow more FE events than F1 events in 2018 - F1 has become THAT unexciting.

The Halo device partially blocks the driver's vision. A driver might take a fraction of a second longer than before to see a slow or crashed car that is directly in front of them. In cars that can reach 200 mph and cover large distances very quickly, this is no small matter.

It doesn't protect the driver. Anything smaller than a tyre can still get through.

It's ugly.

Indycar seem to have a much safer, more practical and elegant solution.

The aeronautical industry seemed to have solved this problem a few decades ago.

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
It's not good, its not bad, it's not ugly, it's functional. That is enough for it to be there, and the sooner it saves a life, the sooner everyone can shut up about it.

Quotes from Bottas

"In the simulator, I've done a race simulation already with the halo, and I have to say during the race I never noticed it anymore," says Bottas.

"Once you get used to it it's there and you get used to it, I think that's going to be the same for the spectators.

"Initially, it's something new, it looks different - some people say it's not nice at all.

"But I think it's only a matter of time everyone will get used to it, and if it can avoid even one injury - big or small - it's a good device."

It's not good, its not bad, it's not ugly, it's functional. That is enough for it to be there, and the sooner it saves a life, the sooner everyone can shut up about it.
My worry is that there will be some big crash this year that involves some kind of failure of the halo( to protect the head fully or to make it harder for the driver to exit ect) that will drive the F1 fan base into chaos as a result

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 120 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000