Have Your Say: Formula One 'Halo' - Good, Bad or Just Ugly?

Indycar is looking to have the cooler and sleeker solution, if F1 doesn't get the next engine regs just right I could see Indy becoming as popular if not more-so than it was in the 90's at the cost of F1.

Personally I wouldn't mind, the racing in F1 is incredibly dull these days even if last year was a bit better about it.

Its good to think about safety, but you have to actually think... , like people said before this wont stop smaller object and for now its also obstructing view and it looks silly. the indycar "window" seemed a better idea.

It's not good, its not bad, it's not ugly, it's functional. That is enough for it to be there, and the sooner it saves a life, the sooner everyone can shut up about it.
Thats right.
Since the device would not have helped in many of the past accidents (i think it would have saved Surtees) , its only partially achieved its goals and has a longer way ahead.

F1-management needs to hire more personnel from this forum ;)

vomito.jpg

Quotes from Bottas

"In the simulator, I've done a race simulation already with the halo, and I have to say during the race I never noticed it anymore," says Bottas.

"Once you get used to it it's there and you get used to it, I think that's going to be the same for the spectators.

"Initially, it's something new, it looks different - some people say it's not nice at all.

"But I think it's only a matter of time everyone will get used to it, and if it can avoid even one injury - big or small - it's a good device."
Yep. If it helps to save an injury, it was worth it.

And about the looks: People wont suddenly like the look but they will get used to it.
In my opinion the Pöatypus and Phallus noses were far worse - and we still have stubbles at the nose of some cars. Nobody seems to care about them anymore.
At least the halo has a safety function.

The questions is: Would there have been a better solution? I cant understand how a halo can be the best solution, look at these massive gaps. I am no expert but i can imagine that a shield would be safer. And alsp better looking

It's ugly but so what? It's a safety device, it's not meant to make the car look prettier.

A question more relevant than aesthetics: does it significantly improve driver safety? Evidence suggests it does, though obviously it does not protect the driver's head against everything, such as small flying debris.

Most people are not really debating that, we are debating how with its gaps its not actually that safe...

safety is an issue....Am sure if you also read through the thread you will see the word UGLY mentioned 12 times ......Excluding the title.

Last edited:
I have a question:

Imagine that scenario:

A wheel goes loose on the circuit, and collides with the halo. Where does the wheel bounce? Against a marshall? To the crowd?

safety is an issue....Am sure if you read through the thread you will see the word UGLY mentioned 12 times ......Excluding the title.

3 or 4 people saying "ugly" is not most.
Of course people have an opinion on its looks, but regardless of how it looks it will not stop flying objects smaller than wheels from hitting the driver...and the bloody wheels have tethers!!

The wheels are tethered. Even so, assuming one came loose what's any different between bouncing off the halo and any other part of the car?

Personally, I think if it improves driver safety (debatable) I'm all for it. It is ugly but so is the entire rest of these modern cars, IMO. I don't really understand why they didn't just go ahead and put a clear canopy such as what you might have on a fighter jet.

I sure as hell don't want the thing taking up ~any~ of my FOV in any racing sim.

I have a question:

Imagine that scenario:

A wheel goes loose on the circuit, and collides with the halo. Where does the wheel bounce? Against a marshall? To the crowd?

Mentioned this as well earlier... with the tethers when is the last time a wheel came off and hit a car (in F1)....

Among other things, I said the Halo was ugly in an attempt to answer the original question. Looks are unimportant in the search for safety improvements. If the Halo increases the driver's protection, all well and good (though putting a vertical bar directly in front must surely affect vision and reaction times); but this is far from an ideal solution.

Also the Jules crash that was down to the tractor he hit and the fact racers don't abide by yellow flags..both issues now addressed......

This halo solves one problem only... a race car going over the top and striking driver...

But adds a major new issue.... that crash Alonso had in Oz.... could the driver of got out of the car? I for one as a driver would feel far to trapped with that halo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back