Has anyone managed to log in today?

I'm in now and pretty pissed that they are charging for both Nurburgring and the Nords.....miffed.

I'm shaking my head thinking that they take the piss, especially when we pay a subscription on top. Come on Sector 3, lets give these guys a run for their money.

Was able to finally log in and purchase the ring but it's not letting me download anything yet , just white screen. Must be a big day for them.

They replace the whole backend...chezzzz power to them. I mean try to do it live. I would never do it. There is no way around it when you update live, to me it's better to have 2 farm, the old one and new one with database sync; and just do a switch over than to do the roll out on the same farm. That how I design my infrastructure I have a test / development / production & production 2. If it does not work, just flip back to the old one.

iRacing staff like to be under pressure, now it's a pressure cooker with that many people waiting for them. I see from Steve Myers twitter account they try to solve it live, rollback is not an option anymore. (at least to me, they tried new fix) I do appreciate their hard work, but there in a long night or day depend on your time zone.

It sucks but it's a pretty big update.

They replace the whole backend...chezzzz power to them. I mean try to do it live. I would never do it. There is no way around it when you update live, to me it's better to have 2 farm, the old one and new one with database sync; and just do a switch over than to do the roll out on the same farm. That how I design my infrastructure I have a test / development / production & production 2. If it does not work, just flip back to the old one.

iRacing staff like to be under pressure, now it's a pressure cooker with that many people waiting for them. I see from Steve Myers twitter account they try to solve it live, rollback is not an option anymore. (at least to me, they tried new fix) I do appreciate their hard work, but there in a long night or day depend on your time zone.

It sucks but it's a pretty big update.

To back that up, here is their quote from Facebook:

Update: Our team has been at it all day and night, working to get the servers and new build up and running. We don't have an eta at this point. Several people will continue to work overnight and the rest will come back early in the morning our time. We are really sorry for the extended down time and appreciate your patience while we get iRacing back up and running.

We hope to be able to report some progress in the morning. While you wait you can use this link to complete the new download:http://members.iracing.com/download

I don't have iRacing, but I just thought I would add that here since I saw one of my FB friends like it.

The good things here is a mega update with a lot of new features and I really excited about those feature, but they do not have a plan before hand. I design network/infrastructure like the cellular company does (both A and B infrastructure), I refuse to do it otherwise. When I update there is always checkmark, at what time I suppose to be where at what point, if not I'm rolling back.

Steve Myers ‏@iRacingMyers 6h6 hours ago
Handful of guys continuing to work to get new site going - rest will wake up early and start porting code back to old site to get it back

I think they do consider reverting at this point, but it's still live. there is no excuse not having A and B infra those days. Just flip members to the B infra, update the A infra, if it fail revert A infra back (rollback), if it work move members from B infra back to the A, and up date B infra. I have done a double infra for a company that cost under $400,000 CDN (should be under $300,000 US) that has the F5 GTM (to control external path to which infra is active or load balance the charge), but I don't know iRacing budget for the infra.

Non-Operational is bad for the image and in itself will cost more in corporate image than the cost of double infra, maybe iRacing do not care.

I'm always astonished over how game companies run their business.
QA seems to be quite loose, development plans seem to not be written out beforehand, backends running on machines not able to hold all players at once...

But guess there are just parts in the game development IT that don't get lots of love and budget.

To add to this, it's fascinating to read Steve Myers twitter how they decide to run this, classic textbook that used to be before the dual path explosion in the last few years. They been there for 16 hours or so before calling they day

https://twitter.com/iRacingMyers?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back