Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Thanks guys. Think I may of been lucky, all the pieces have 3 x slots as one of the sides is completely smooth. Seems like all of the eight long pieces have a screw protruding from the end and the four (assembled) smaller pieces still have the (8) rubber feet inserted.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    919.9 KB · Views: 1,310
Upvote 0
Been looking at the China/Hong Kong bits on E bay as some of them are less than half of the on line prices. Not in a hurry for delivery and my only apprehension is quality, but what can go wrong with nuts and bolts or corner pieces...

Having used a bunch of the 3030/4040/4080 90* brackets and various m6/m8 t nuts from aliexpress/ebay and while you get the odd dodgy one overall they were fine to use and never caused an issue. Also after purchasing some from a local shop I couldn't tell the difference except for value for money ;)

Didn't bother with buying bolts and capscrews out of ebay/aliexpress as they are pretty cheap to purchase locally anyway and of a known quality :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys i have a question about the foot print.

Right now I'm designing a few setups to find a balance between cost and what i would like.
I'm about 5'6" tall, I prefer to run inverted pedals. right now my foot print in about 1800mmX800-850mm.
Does that seem about right. Wheel mounts will be roughly 700mm tall. i measured from floor of car to center of wheel and was at 600mm.

Upvote 0
Mate brought my E bay purchase round today (he collected it from Manchester) so we unloaded into the garage. Just when I thought it was all done he went into car and produced a big bag full of bits, corner angles, screws, bolts, washers the lot, so great bounus as I had no idea they were included:)

Upvote 0
Well I ended up ordering a bunch of stuff off eBay with 20% off got almost everything I need but screws and a pivot for the keyboard. I even got sparco seat mount kit. Ended up spending like $570. About 40ft of 40 series. All the mounting plates, brackets, and like 100 t nuts. Hope it all works lol

Upvote 0
Hey guys, nice to see that this post is still getting replies! I have started working on my 8020 rig after seeing a video from the Sim Racing Garage on the Sim-Lab P1 rig.

I need my rig to be less than 1100mm long and 700mm tall to fit under my office desk so I had to be a bit creative to get more length (at least I don't need a monitor mount since I race mainly in VR). I have 3 basic designs, the first one uses two main sections that can be slid to the right driver length, the second has a folding pedal mount and the third is using a very long wheel mount that can be extended or retracted for storage. I will use the angle clamps with lever for the pedal/wheel mounts so I can adjust them easily (I only added them on the first rig since they are not the right pieces in Maycad anyway).

AqS1OPV.png

tjFC5lS.png

7VcRf9I.png

What do you buys think about them? Which one should I go for? Any suggestions on what would or not work, I am looking for advice before triggering my order ;)

I have a question also about the wheel mounts. I have seen that Kurt, one of the first guy in this thread to mount his rig, went from the brackets I have used to a wheel plate in aluminium. I am not sure what the best solution is. Maybe order one from sim-lab, or just use the angle adapter from Fanatec and some t-nuts. Do you guys know a company who cuts and drills aluminium for private orders? I only found big companies who only do B2B.

Final thing about the seat, since I need the total rig to be under 700mm tall, I need a folding seat. I have one from an old classic Playseat that I will use at first but I would like to upgrade it since it is not very comfortable. I have seen some people here using Sparco R100, I know it can recline, but can it folds towards the front too? Do you guys know of any racing seat that can be folded?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can get crazy as you like with this stuff Tony.
I used 45x90mm 10 slot

Bought all my gear from KJN in the UK

There is also Motedis, they have a UK website but gear come from Europe.

Good luck mate

View attachment 239300 View attachment 239301 View attachment 239298

View attachment 239295 View attachment 239298
Can I ask roughly how much did it all come to?

I was looking at buying the P1 from Sim Labs, about £1000 ish all in, but DIY may be the way to go.

Upvote 0
P1 is a nice rig, just not enough adjusability for me.
Latest version come with 15mm DD mount too.

I needed to be able to get my pedal's high when in F1/LMP position.
My DD mount is multi adjustable too.

I reckon you could build your own rig for around £500.00
Mine was around £1,200 all done.

I have isolation under the platform and mounting point's for my Buttkicker's.

Upvote 0
Hey signman, Nice rig! I saw on one of your picture that you have two parts sliding in/out (it looks a bit like my first design), how did you fix them together? And in the end what is the length of the rig?

I also wanted to ask you where did you buy the face plate for the wheel mount. Could you post a pic or two of the full rig? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Hope this help's.

Attachments

• rig join.JPG
    rig join.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,402
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,460
  • gt.JPG
    gt.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,972
  • Rig LFE.JPG
    Rig LFE.JPG
    916.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • RIG BODNAR.jpg
    RIG BODNAR.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,390
  • rig DD MOUNT.jpg
    rig DD MOUNT.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,390
  • rig1.jpg
    rig1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • Rig amps.jpg
    Rig amps.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,261
  • K1.JPG
    K1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,301
Upvote 0
Thank you for the pics signman! That's very clever, I didn't think of using the uprights to fix them like that. Any reasons why you made your rig in two parts instead of one long base?

I really like your front plate for the wheel mount, did you make it yourself? I saw that sim-lab was selling theirs but it's really big... I'd rather have something like yours to fit my small rig size requirements.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back