Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

My rigg is actually located in an "expanded closet", so it tends to get a bit hot, but you do get some privacy and the lack of windows is an good thing. However, it's a bit hard to take som good photos so here is some how it is done, but the photo quality is not so high.

Custom aluminium rig with OMP seat, OSW wheel (SimuCube, small Mige), Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro, 3x27" gsync 7680x1440 and TH8A shifter with mod plate.

DSC_1595_01.JPG

Top view, with H shifter setup active

DSC_1599_02.JPG

For paddle shifted cars, the H shifter can be folded out of the way, mouse plate slides on the 180 degree arm.

DSC_1600_03.JPG

Keyboard tray slides and can be turned 180 degrees. Speakers is also located on the rig.

DSC_1602_04.JPG

Custom vesa mount, and holder for the headphone when not used.

DSC_1602_05.JPG

The OSW control box is mounted on the rig with access to ports/switch from drivers seat, when everything has been tested for while I will shorten the cables from the motor as well.

DSC_1602_06.JPG

The servo motor is mounted with wing-nuts so the height of wheel can be easily adjusted for different cars so instrument can be seen (prefer to use the original car instruments). The heel plate is also seen in front of the pedals.

DSC_1604_07.JPG

Wheel extension tube and quick release. The paddle shifters was a little bit to far away so I mounted an extra spacer to get it closer to the wheel.

DSC_1606_08.JPG

I have an extra tray that can be slide in to be able to use an joystick setup for other games.

DSC_1608_09.JPG

Wheel put away and keyboard tray out of the way it is rather easy to get in/out. The seat is on sliders (seen in bottom of pic) and can be adjusted over the whole range and locks with 4 locking levers.

DSC_1615_10.JPG

The setup is very solid and maybe a bit over the top but very satisfied with the result.

Race on :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow. @Jens Roos that looks awesome. Would you be able to post a full part list?

To give you an idea what I did order, some parts i did myself, I can arrange an more detailed file later but I need to re-install the software since I have installed w10 again since I did these drawings, the layout pdf is not up to date. The purchase cost was about 800 euro + vat, seat and brackets not included (It's my old car seat).

Attachments

• bom_rigg_skickad.pdf
    802.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • bom_rigg_extra.pdf
    373.5 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
Nice to see some great cockpits in here and people discussing them
I seen images of this cockpit around in the past but recently came across a website and video showing various models.

Apart from a bit of colour coding. They use a rather nice 8020 solution for adjusting positions that some of the rather popular 8020 frames being sold don't use at all. Although they charge a lot for these I am not sure how much the main sliding/lock components from them actually cost if purchased as d.i.y 8020 suppliers.

Anyways just sharing for those seeking ideas or creativity.

JCL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've just bought a job lot of 4040 profile off E bay. Total length of around 20m including a few nuts, feet etc for £155 and looking to turn it into a nice Sim rig when I return from holiday:thumbsup:

So I now need to look into purchasing angle brackets, nuts, bolts etc, but not sure of correct sizes. Profile is 4040 with a 10mm slot so need to know the correct sizes, anyone help?

Edited to say I'm not sure link is working

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can get crazy as you like with this stuff Tony.
I used 45x90mm 10 slot

Bought all my gear from KJN in the UK

There is also Motedis, they have a UK website but gear come from Europe.

Good luck mate

keyboard 3.jpg
Rig LFE.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG

gt.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought from KJN recently and currently have an order in progress with Motedis.

They're great for big orders, but flat-rate shipping charges of £20 are exorbitant when you just need a couple of bits and pieces.

Upvote 0
Been looking at the China/Hong Kong bits on E bay as some of them are less than half of the on line prices. Not in a hurry for delivery and my only apprehension is quality, but what can go wrong with nuts and bolts or corner pieces...

Upvote 0
Been looking at the China/Hong Kong bits on E bay as some of them are less than half of the on line prices. Not in a hurry for delivery and my only apprehension is quality, but what can go wrong with nuts and bolts or corner pieces...
They can be cheap terrible quality like the ones Fanatec use which leads to them rounding off when tightening/untightening just by hand. Or what I’ve had they are so soft they mould into the screw hole and can’t be removed, maybe not the end of the world on a rig but still would be very annoying and difficult to remove with damage.

They could also be even worse and not have the strength needed to hold the forces of the rig, I briefly used some mechano screws as I couldn’t find any 4mm ones at the time. Only needed it to hold my Accuforce control box to the rig and a quick release for my spare wheel, as soon as I tried to tighten it down full just threaded and disentigrated inside the good quality slot nuts.

Now obviously worst case scenario but sometimes it’s not worth cheaping out if there is potential to create more issues.

Upvote 0
Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me:thumbsdown:. Just been on the KJN site and looked at corner brackets, but whilst on there I watched the video on core screws (no threading required). Seemed a very simple solution to joints, but most of the pictures of rigs show them built with corner brackets, so not sure why, as the screws would seem the obvious method and at less than a third of the cost. I assume it's to do with the strength of the joints and wondered if the brackets are necessary?

Upvote 0
If it's this video you mean, it needs a hole drilling for the screw to be tightened. Brackets are obviously less hassle, and much easier to reconfigure.

Upvote 0
Yes that's the one. I realised the hole needed to be drilled for the Allen key but thought it would be little effort when weighed up with costs. I'll probably get packets of both to be on the safe side:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
You can tap your own thread like I did when making the front plate mount.
Other times I used the special insert you buy Tony.

Just wind it in and it cuts it's own thread.

To join your profile corner's use corner bracket's though mate.

RIG THREAD.jpg

Upvote 0
You will get an stronger joint using an bracket, easier lineup as it has guides on the rear of bracket. Will also be stronger against twist and overall an more flexible solution. But the cost of the brackets are quite high so an mix could be an solution as well.

But for mounting on the end of an profile it works fine just to tap the hole. Depending on profile you can sometimes tap directly, in my 40x40, 40x80 etc I tap M8 directly.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years